Catindabox

Arrow pointing to the current magazine loaded

Since we have the ability to reload non-empty magazines and place them in a reserve pouch, it would be useful to have some sort of indication of which magazine you currently have loaded on your mag counter hud. This could be in the shape of either a minimalistic white arrow pointing to whichever is loaded or some other sort of indication.

While it is pretty easy to tell what mag you're using after the third or so tactical reload, once you've been alive for awhile your entire ammo HUD turns into a rainbow and you don't know whether you're on the red or green.

This is big problem with lmg's and vehicle turrets that have a lot of mags. + It doesn't brake the realistic side of the game if you know what mag/belt you have in your weapon.

I could be wrong and maybe its only my game it does it but the magazine currently loaded actively changes colors as you use it. Remember which slot it is because its the slot loaded into the weapon. Bottom left if I remember correctly or has hand of a clock the one at Seven o'clock.

10 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

I could be wrong and maybe its only my game it does it but the magazine currently loaded actively changes colors as you use it. Remember which slot it is because its the slot loaded into the weapon. Bottom left if I remember correctly or has hand of a clock the one at Seven o'clock.

That's way too complicated and not even confirmed, an arrow pointing to your current mag would be 100x better and simpler.

Go to the firing range and prove me wrong. I do agree a marker could be helpful but its also not hard to lesrn which magazine is being used. Most people wont even be alive long enough to run into the situation you describe.

I think the easiest way to do it (if people really do find it that confusing) would just be to have new magazines turn green as soon as they're placed in the gun rather than stay white until the first shot is fired. 

Or we could have a little bracket symbols at each end of the little line representing the currently loaded mag, such as these [ ]. I personally never had a problem finding out which magazine is loaded since I'm a compulsive reloader and the loaded mag is always the 7 o'clock one as pointed out above, but I understand some people might find this a bit confusing. 

23 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Just have the current loaded mag appear a little bit brighter with the others more faded. Simples.

Or just one pixel wider, or have small dent in the form.

You guys have been pointing at some 7oclock system that is never explained anywhere, and with all of the new players we have now+ will be getting from the free weekend, there needs to be a better indication in place. I've been playing since pre-alpha (and obviously since when they made the mag percentage colors) and I've never noticed or seen any explanation on how to tell which mag is loaded.

42 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

You guys have been pointing at some 7oclock system that is never explained anywhere, and with all of the new players we have now+ will be getting from the free weekend, there needs to be a better indication in place. I've been playing since pre-alpha (and obviously since when they made the mag percentage colors) and I've never noticed or seen any explanation on how to tell which mag is loaded.

Hmmm I've always just assumed it was the bottom left mag in the circle,  which I think is a correct assumption considering that is the one that changes colors as you shoot, and turns white when a new mag is loaded. Doesn't seem complicated enough to warrant an explanation to me. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

On November 6, 2016 at 0:26 PM, Catindabox said:

That's way too complicated and not even confirmed, an arrow pointing to your current mag would be 100x better and simpler.

No that's not complicated. It's the bottom left mag every time.  Its not hard one bit. And yes thats how you know which mag you are using. Does everything need to be spoonfed?

3 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Once you know which is your current loaded mag it's simple but for new players it's not immediately obvious what it is.

Which is why there should be an indicator. I didn't even know which mag I was on.

1 hour ago, Catindabox said:

Which is why there should be an indicator. I didn't even know which mag I was on.

That's why I suggested above that the loaded mag should glow a little brighter than the non-loaded to make it more obvious to new players.

5 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

That's why I suggested above that the loaded mag should glow a little brighter than the non-loaded to make it more obvious to new players.

Ik :) just adding to what you said considering even that I'm not a new player

Maybe its just me, but how many people buy a new game and don't bother to mess around in singleplayer even for a few minutes to learn the mechanics before jumping into multiplayer? I get what you want, but I also strongly feel like this is something that a player should discover on the firing range within the first 30 minutes of owning the game and then never be an issue again.

You shouldn't have to 'discover' something like that. It really should be more obvious. New players to a game like Squad have so many more important things to learn. They will mostly die before they run out of ammo and may never notice what's happening with the funny little circular thing in the corner. Squad is not aiming itself to be as complicated as Arma so should be trying to make things easier from your first experiences.

I usually reload a partially used mag if I expect to face lots of enemies, like when entering an enemy flag. Lowers the risk of running out of ammo in the middle of the firefight.

8 hours ago, Peerun said:

You shouldn't really reload a mag until it's empty anyway.

Personal preference and situational

Edited by Catindabox

Many times when my mag hud is rainbow, i will have to guess what is the current mag in the gun. Sure it's easy when i have full mags left to track the progress, but it doesn't fix the problem. I also like to reload often especially when clearing buildings where you don't want to have near empty mag in the gun. 

The suggested arrow is very simple and well working idea that won't break the realism/gameplay.

14 minutes ago, Maamyyra said:

Many times when my mag hud is rainbow, i will have to guess what is the current mag in the gun. Sure it's easy when i have full mags left to track the progress, but it doesn't fix the problem. I also like to reload often especially when clearing buildings where you don't want to have near empty mag in the gun. 

The suggested arrow is very simple and well working idea that won't break the realism/gameplay.

It's easy to track the progress no matter what, whether all fresh mags or mostly empty.

Current mag is bottom left.

That's it, there's no more to it, it's not any more complicated. It requires no thought, just a glance at the bottom left.

Did I mention the currently loaded mag is always bottom left?

In that direction, the one thing I do not know for sure is the relative ordering of magazines loaded after they have been returned to the chest carrier. Does the last used mag go to the back? Is it ordered by amount of ammo per mag? I think this is where improvements can be made, in magazine rotation indicators, not necissarily what the currently loaded mag is. Maybe it is this where people are getting their confusion?

Now that's out of the way, I'm curious to see what completely new players think about this. Maybe an indicator would be beneficial, but adding extra things to a HUD usually leads to more clutter, which leads to confusion, especially in newer players. 

I wonder if there is a compromised middle ground, such as the suggested highlight of the bottom left mag in the indicator, meaning that is the one loaded.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

20 minutes ago, Maamyyra said:

This is the view of many people, especially new players (and vets like myself) and there should be some sort of indication, there's no reason people should have to experiment with it to figure that out.

It honestly baffles me that some people are so opposed to this- especially since we're about to have a huge influx of players who are trying to learn much more important things than experimenting with reloads.

Edited by Catindabox