Peerun

One feature that I wish to see implemented in V8

Friendly name tags disapearing, if they go down. This is the most annoying thing ever, when an enemy is hiding behind a friendly's body.
Perhaps make them apear only when your map is open or something, so it's easier for medics, or some smart complicated way ...

Yea, I agree with it being annoying when enemies hide behind the body because  of the name tag, but at the same time it would be annoying to not be  able to see a team mate because they are down due to not being able to revive them as a medic, or help them get revived if working with a medic.

..or we could finally get rid of the name tags altogether and let the chaos reign.

Spoiler

OpFcp.jpg

Target identification should be a thing.

You guys dont play a lot of medic I take it. Having to open the map to figure out where specific people are at would be extremely frustrating and a complete no-go in a stressful situation where specific people are key. Like other medics or SL or LAT.

9 minutes ago, Z-trooper said:

You guys dont play a lot of medic I take it. Having to open the map to figure out where specific people are at would be extremely frustrating and a complete no-go in a stressful situation where specific people are key. Like other medics or SL or LAT.

I agree, but I also see where they are coming from, maybe have it "always on" for medic´s only?

I would love to see some ability to designate the role of each squad and have it effect the resources that squad accesses (think heavy weapons squad - they get a mortar and  a decent mg etc). Hopefully this would induce squads on a team to think about what they want everyone to do beyond attack of defend.

8 hours ago, Z-trooper said:

Name tags are annoying and block visuals and get me teamkilled because morons rely on them instead of bothering to check targets. They shouldn't pop up unless deliberately looking directly at a friendly.

As for medics not being able to find friendlies easy, I play medic quite often and I say fix the map overlays to be accurate to the actual game world and we won't have problems finding people. Thinking someone is in an alleyway only to take a turn and run into a dead end compound is extremely frustrating.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:53 AM, Peerun said:

Friendly name tags disapearing, if they go down. This is the most annoying thing ever, when an enemy is hiding behind a friendly's body.
Perhaps make them apear only when your map is open or something, so it's easier for medics, or some smart complicated way ...

Agreed, losing the name tag should be a must in my opinion...permanent removal.

Medics get the 'bleed out / heal' icon, which can be used to find downed friendlies -

US_Medics.jpg?version=cc8ca84a722eae88eb

It's then a case of using squad / local comms for medics to priorities the casualties.

16 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Name tags are annoying and block visuals and get me teamkilled because morons rely on them instead of bothering to check targets. They shouldn't pop up unless deliberately looking directly at a friendly.

As for medics not being able to find friendlies easy, I play medic quite often and I say fix the map overlays to be accurate to the actual game world and we won't have problems finding people. Thinking someone is in an alleyway only to take a turn and run into a dead end compound is extremely frustrating.

Idk man in PR it was a pain in the ass to try and find your squad mates in a crowd without looking at every single person for several seconds until their name appeared.

How about making tags toggle-able On/Min/Off.  Then it's up to the player what he wants to see.

1 hour ago, Catindabox said:

Idk man in PR it was a pain in the ass to try and find your squad mates in a crowd without looking at every single person for several seconds until their name appeared.

Oh man those were bad. We had name tags at a good place a few updates ago, maybe alpha 5. Can't remember but then the devs went all out trying to please the noobs and now we have instant name tags on friendlies 200 meters away. at some point it gets ridiculous. 

I've proposed for a while to have them out to a radius of about 30 meters all the time and then require focusing on people further. That still allows people to see names easy enough but makes people not rely on them for identification.

15 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

Oh man those were bad. We had name tags at a good place a few updates ago, maybe alpha 5. Can't remember but then the devs went all out trying to please the noobs and now we have instant name tags on friendlies 200 meters away. at some point it gets ridiculous. 

I've proposed for a while to have them out to a radius of about 30 meters all the time and then require focusing on people further. That still allows people to see names easy enough but makes people not rely on them for identification.

The changes weren't to "please the noobs".

They had to change their Name tag implementation because of how detrimental it was to performance. IIIRC, the original name tag system as using ray-casts (which are extremely expensive) to determine whether or not someone was in Line of Sight to draw the tag. 

Now it uses the occlusion culling system (again IIRC) to determine if someone is being drawn in your frame, and drawing the name tags then.

This leads to the name tags being drawn more than they should be, but at with significantly less penalty. 

It will inevitably change again, which I am all for, but we will have to wait and see what is even possible. I'd like to see less name tags, but the current system they have in place is a performance compromise. 

I am for losing the name tags all together, **** that shit. Maybe change it to a patch on their fatigues or on their vest. 

Edited by fantomactual

28 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

The changes weren't to "please the noobs" 

Not saying you're wrong, but all I remember about it was OWI say I g they would be more reliable since they had a tough time with windows. I for one did not notice a performance increase with it either.

But that's beside the issue, we both agree they still need work. I hate seeing name tags for guys over 100 meters away through thick brush.  

12 minutes ago, fantomactual said:

I am for losing the name tags all together, **** that shit. Maybe change it to a patch on their fatigues or on their vest. 

They are extremely handy but they do need tweaking. I personally use them too much while squad leading to have them completely go away. But by all means lets make it reasonable and right now they aren't.

7 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

Not saying you're wrong, but all I remember about it was OWI say I g they would be more reliable since they had a tough time with windows. I for one did not notice a performance increase with it either.

Yep I will have to say, they may have been causing an issue, but it was something that I never noticed anyway (probably due to not hitting an CPU/GPU bounds).

7 minutes ago, PolishKruk said:

But that's beside the issue, we both agree they still need work. I hate seeing name tags for guys over 100 meters away through thick brush.  

[snip]...[/snip]

They are extremely handy but they do need tweaking. I personally use them too much while squad leading to have them completely go away. But by all means lets make it reasonable and right now they aren't.

I also agree with this, yelling for squad mates would be significantly more burdensome, requiring me to see that "Oh that guy is a medic, ok who are my medics *looks at scoreboard/map*... ok XXX or YYYY I need you over here now".

At least with name tags I can just say "XXXX I need you here right now".

Again, something needs/I would like something to be done about this, but its not as simple (in terms of team communication) as just straight up removing them. Maybe keeping them for Squad Members only, and have a range for Other Squad members where the blueberries' tags disappear after 20m or so? Just spit-balling some ideas. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

No tags by default please. However I'd like tags to pop up on keypress for friendlies within 50m (not toggle). Players need to learn to ID their targets but medics also need to find specific team mates. It also helps SL to organise his squad when he knows who is where.

I think a good solution would be to make the name tags appear on the ground below the friendly in question. That would solve majority of the issue.

Having to ID targets is also not a bad idea, but imo not within the squad. That'd just get too messy. Or atleast make it so it's 200m for squadmates and 50m for teammates, when the tag disapears.

On 1.11.2016 at 4:37 PM, Buckles said:

Agreed, losing the name tag should be a must in my opinion...permanent removal.

Medics get the 'bleed out / heal' icon, which can be used to find downed friendlies -

US_Medics.jpg?version=cc8ca84a722eae88eb

It's then a case of using squad / local comms for medics to priorities the casualties.

Sounds right. +1

23 hours ago, fantomactual said:

This is why we should have an option.. people have really extreme ideals and others are normal with name tags. It would be ridiculous to remove them completely unless you were taking screenshots, it would be hard as all hell to ID who's in your squad.

Just give players a "hold to hide HUD" button to use in these situations, instead of forcing them to go into the options menu.

I feel the name tags should disappear when a friendly is down, except for maybe the medic although they have a separate icon. (I'm usually medic or AT)

Just yesterday I ran into two enemies that briefly had their back to me, they were each standing over a downed friendly (two downed) so the one second it took to get a better look they turned around and gunned me down. No tags would have meant no issue as it looked like it was two friendlies standing over two enemies due to the tags.

I was thinking that a while back.  Was getting confusing having friendlies dead or alive icons floating in front of the enemies.   too shoot or not t....