Socrates

Your Thoughts on the Free Weekend

I'm really excited for the Free Weekend on Steam coming up. This might make Squad into a huge game after! :D

What are your thoughts?

Lots of newbies coming in soon.

Everyone will need a lot of patience and step up to squad lead to show new players how Squad is meant to be played. It is the only real way to grow the community and ensure we're not all playing with the same 500 or so players in the future.

Lots and lots of patience. :)

2 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

Everyone will need a lot of patience and step up to squad lead to show new players how Squad is meant to be played. It is the only real way to grow the community and ensure we're not all playing with the same 500 or so people in the future.

Lots and lots of patience. :)

Pretty much this! We need you guys to step up and show the new guys the ropes. 

I personally think it is a great thing, I just hope we can get those SL's to step up and show the new folk how things are supposed to be...

EDIT:  I know I don't have to worry about ol' Des

Edited by IWI-GALIL5.56FA

Remember when PR didn't require BF2 anymore and people flooded in without reading the manual first?

It's going to be like that but a little better since Squad doesn't have quite as many mechanics to the game yet.

Still, they should add the tutorial within the game files, so it's accessible from the menus.

I have a personal request for all of the community groups out there.

Please, please don't gang up and steam roll clueless teams with a clan stacked team.

Steam roll stomping is fun, sometimes, we get that, but, save that for the weekend after or something.

Be mature and think of the future player base, and instead of being a wrecking ball of a squad, spead out and be SLs and medics/Fire team leaders in all of the squads. Assist and show people an example of what it is supposed to be about. 

Dont hide in a squad full of regulars leaving all of the new people confused and dicking around in leaderless 9 man groups of lone wolves.

Thank you very much in advance, and think of the good of the community <3

#Dropyouropticandgrabamedicbagatleast

We'll be there right beside you in the trenches, with pockets full of hello kitty band aids for all the hurt ankles and bullet wounds.

EDIT:

If you arent an SL, have no fear, you got time to pratice. And even if you think you suck, you'll be a hundred times better than some green recruit coming in ;)

I wouldn't be suprised if the news steamrolled us by pure numbers and unpredictability :D

Edited by Peerun

I would be more helpful to the "Free Weekend" people if you release the V8 some days before the free weekend :P :D

Edited by Dundish

I would be more helpful to the "Free Weekend" people if you release the V8 some days before the free weekend  

Yeah I really hope this is the plan... I can't imagine you'd want squad's first impression to thousands of potential buyers to be near unplayable on anything but (reasonable) top end hardware

19 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Yeah I really hope this is the plan... I can't imagine you'd want squad's first impression to thousands of potential buyers to be near unplayable on anything but (reasonable) top end hardware emoji28.png

What? What I heard from folks that tested the V8, it's ready. AND it is well performing patch! But the dev holding it for the free weekend :) 

Edited by Dundish

10 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Yeah I really hope this is the plan... I can't imagine you'd want squad's first impression to thousands of potential buyers to be near unplayable on anything but (reasonable) top end hardware emoji28.png

You may well be quitely suprised. I would however  reiterate Ztroopers request. Give the new peeps help & guidance. And yes,not all will be acccomodating. hah. 

C'est la vie.

That's great to hear! You've probably thought of this already but dropping v8 2-4 days before the weekend to make sure there aren't any breaking bugs that the testing team didn't catch, would probably be a good idea. There's only one "first impression"

15 minutes ago, BuLL said:

You may well be quitely suprised. I would however  reiterate Ztroopers request. Give the new peeps help & guidance. And yes,not all will be acccomodating. hah. 

C'est la vie.

I hope this means we are definitely getting V8 before the free weekend. I agree with Psyrus,, the free weekend would push away a lot of potential buyers if they thought the game was unplayable unless they had top-end hardward and time to play with the configs a bit. If people come in and we are all getting 60+ FPS they will be focused on the gameplay rather than the performance and then we'd hopefully get more full time squaders.

4 minutes ago, Thr34t said:

I hope this means we are definitely getting V8 before the free weekend. I agree with Psyrus,, the free weekend would push away a lot of potential buyers if they thought the game was unplayable unless they had top-end hardward and time to play with the configs a bit. If people come in and we are all getting 60+ FPS they will be focused on the gameplay rather than the performance and then we'd hopefully get more full time squaders.

" In conjunction with our Alpha 8 release and our November 11th Charity event, Squad will be running its first ever Steam free weekend "

Very good news ..

We need one week earlier release for v8 from free weekend for testing detailed in current community if possible. This would be healthier method according to me in order to find and solve the problems that might be seen by newcomers. These problems could cause a bad reputation..

I promise that We (older ones) can stand these errors and problems without complaining , devs you can be sure that :-) 

19 minutes ago, Togisan said:

Very good news ..

We need one week earlier release for v8 from free weekend for testing detailed in current community if possible. This would be healthier method according to me in order to find and solve the problems that might be seen by newcomers. These problems could cause a bad reputation..

I promise that We (older ones) can stand these errors and problems without complaining , devs you can be sure that :-) 

Totally agree. That was more of what my other post was about. I know it says we are going to get V8 with the free weekend, but for the sake of the game we really need to have it at least a week BEFORE the 11th. It would be terrible for the game's reputation if the patch broke something and caused crashes. If people  continously crash ina game they are just trying for the weekend then they will just stop and go back to their other games.

31 minutes ago, Togisan said:

Very good news ..

10 minutes ago, Thr34t said:

Totally agree. That was more of what my other post was about. I know it says we are going to get V8 with the free weekend, but for the sake of the game we really need to have it at least a week BEFORE the 11th. It would be terrible for the game's reputation if the patch broke something and caused crashes. If people  continously crash ina game they are just trying for the weekend then they will just stop and go back to their other games.

I'm a Community tester, and I can assure you that Alpha 8 has undergone numerous tests these past few weeks, as well as a few more that are upcoming. We bug hunt and find out glitches/bugs in very peculiar ways, often in detail. Then occasionally stressing out a full lobby by having everyone shoot or do X action at once, you're in good hands as far as Alpha 8 goes. 

The issue with A7 is that something bugged out with performance that was not apparent in testing. The devs have learned from it and are confident that it will not be an Issue for the A8 release. 

Edited by LMR Sahara

3 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

I'm a Community tester, and I can assure you that Alpha 8 has undergone numerous tests these past few weeks, as well as a few more that are upcoming. We bug hunt and find out glitches/bugs in very peculiar ways, often in detail. Then occasionally stressing out a full lobby by having everyone shoot or do X action at once, you're in good hands as far as Alpha 8 goes. 

The issue with A7 is that something bugged out with performance that was not apparent in testing. The devs have learned from it and are confident that it will not be an Issue for the A8 release. 

Ok thanks for info and your supports..

So if devs are sure for A8 that is bug and glitch free, they can release as soon as final touches of them are completed..I hope release time would be within one week..I'm very curious for a try..

20 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

Much the same was stated by testers when the developers were working on V7. Performance was reported as good in the testing by the "QA" testers, and that release was a complete cluster****.

So I for one don't put much faith in the testing environment and QA procedures, and think it would be more beneficial to release the v8 update ahead of time, so issues that crop up in the actual playing environment can be identified and taken care of before the Free Weekend.

Edited by Verdin
spelling

2 minutes ago, Verdin said:

Much the same was stated by testers when the developers were working on V7. Performance was reported as good in the testing by the "QA" testers, and that release was a complete cluster****.

So I for one don't put much faith in the testers, and think it would be more beneficial to release the v8 update ahead of time, so issues that crop up in the actual playing environment can be identified and taken care of before the Free Weekend.

As I stated, there was a performance bug for A7 and A7 specifically that caught both the testers and devs by surprise. I don't see the point of pushing an update out "early" as to be fair, this game being on Early Access is early as it is.