Sign in to follow this  
franklawl

Crash results in PC restart.

Hello, all. Been having a blast these two weeks or so that I've had the game. However, I've encountered what ends up being a game breaking error for me sometimes. 
As a preface, I've been able to duplicate it (most of the time). 
The game runs pretty darn well for me given my decent CPU, but sometimes when an explosion from a grenade or RPG goes off right in front of me, my entire computer will shut off and restart. I've checked event viewer on windows and it is telling me it's a kernel power error? Never had this happen on any other game. I should note if a grenade or RPG kills me and I cannot see the explosion, no crash. Additionally, if it isn't very, very close to me but still in my field of view, I will not crash. Anyone had similar experiences? 

Specs are: 
I7 4790k @ 4.5ghz / 
16gb ram /
R9 fury. 
I play on mostly high settings, with only view distance being epic. 

Thanks for your reply. I was directed here from r/joinsquad, so I'm hoping to figure out exactly what's going on. It always happens when I'm in a great squad, too. :(

The situation you discribe generates a bunch of Particle effects maybe its a senario where peak power consumption ist generated and thefore PSU shuts down, Does your rig run without problems in every other game ?

Whats your Power supply (brand,modell,age , if multi rail connected properly ? )?

Some more details would be good to get a idea of the root cause.

-Does reduce our CPU OC back to stock fix the problem?

-How are your temperatures during gaming on GPU + CPU ?

-Ram configuration (brand and specifications ? )

-Exact model of R9Fury + Catalyst driver version.

Thank you for the concern! 

Upon restart, my CPU clock remains at 4.5. During gaming the temperatures haven't reached over 69c on the CPU, and GPU usually doesn't even get that high, 65-67c on other games. I find that squad taxes my CPU more. I tried turning my clock down, to no avail. It crashes less frequently (but still maybe once a day if i have a particularly long session) when I turned the effects down to medium. 

My fury is a sapphire. Not sure what you mean by catalyst, do you mean crimson? If so, I just used DDU and installed latest crimson drivers. 

my ram is 2x 8gb sticks of crucial ram, I believe around 1600hz. They're definitely seated properly and in the proper slots (my mobo has 4 slots, the first and third being one color and the second and fourth being another color, so I knew to put the sticks in the same Color slots) 

Power supply is 650w evga supernova g2. 

One thing I noticed is that upon restart I get a notice from "Radeon WattMan" or something like that. Lastly, no other games have caused this issue, including arma 3  and bf1 on ultra settings. 

Its unlikly a hardware defect when BF1 or Arma 3 don´t give the same Problems , BF 1 is more demanding in Multicore + GPU usage and there for sould stress the defect part even more --> result in the same crash fast )  than Squad , Temperatures look fine either, PSU is decent.

What does Wattman notice exactly say ?(this AMD tool is used to adjust Voltage for GPU loadlevels --> fictional e.g "load lvl 3 --> 0,5V 500 Mhz , Load lvl  10 -->  1v 1000MHz)

Catalyst was AMD software called befor Crimson my bad :-) .

Do you own other UE4 Engine based games like  Paragon, UT 2015, ARk etc. or can install them and look if you get same fatal crash ?

In any way i would deactivatet the Overclock as long you looking for the problem  to be total sure you can exclude this.

Edited by moppel

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately this is the only UE4 game I have. I'll have to get back to you tonight with the WattMan details, it's a small notification and I've clicked it before but do not recall what it said. 

I had this issue with BF4 and it was my CPU overheating, reached 90C and shut right off.
I used a combination of coretemp and OCCT to monitor the temperatures and create a log while I was gaming so it was up to date right until it shut down.

my resolution was to spend $40 on a new heat sink (got the cooler master 212 evo) and some new thermal paste, mine was literally a powder when I took it off.

Interesting. I'll have to get a log going, because even when I ran occt for like 30 min, 100% load on all 4 cores it never broke 70c. In fact, it would approach 70 and then make its way down a little lower, im guessing when the CPU cooler fan spools fully. My hyper 212 evo has been pretty great as well. Do you think squad can beat up my CPU harder than occt?

Edited by franklawl

3 hours ago, franklawl said:

Interesting. I'll have to get a log going, because even when I ran occt for like 30 min, 100% load on all 4 cores it never broke 70c. In fact, it would approach 70 and then make its way down a little lower, im guessing when the CPU cooler fan spools fully. My hyper 212 evo has been pretty great as well. Do you think squad can beat up my CPU harder than occt?

maybe? It used to happen for me on BF4 after like an hour of play or so, if that is your problem and you already got an evo then you could just try re-doing the thermal paste.

could also be a PSU issue, hard to say at this point.

Fury are supposed to have some issues with different PSU but don't sound like it if running  other games.

Had a issue with crashing out because I wasn't running a page file.  Don't suppose that's it? 

Just now, Smee said:

Fury are supposed to have some issues with different PSU but don't sound like it if running  other games.

Had a issue with crashing out because I wasn't running a page file.  Don't suppose that's it? 

Not sure what a page file is. Is it serious enough where it could cause my PC to completely reboot?

http://www.howtogeek.com/196238/how-big-should-your-page-file-or-swap-partition-be/

IF you don't know then presume you didn't turn it off. I've got 32gb of ram and set a 12gb pagefile even though running with 3 ssds. It was just a thought.  Are you getting a bois error, it's the red led on the motherboard on crashing. If you Mother board has one.

I had this happen the other day.

I was playing then all the sudden Squad froze and my laptop actually restarted itself.

I'v had the game freeze before where I had to initialize the restart by using task manager but yesterday was the first time the game actually made my laptop restart on its own which is a little worrisome.