Dagon

Humvee Drivers immune to Hand Grenades

I was playing around with grenades and noticed that grenades dropped down the humvee harm or kill all passengers but not the driver. I tried over and over to kill the driver with a grenade down the hatch to no avail. The grenades also don't damage the humvee in any way from what I could tell. 203 launcher grenades do damage the humvee and it takes 3 of them to destroy the vehicle and about 4 or 5 for the BTR. I think 203 grenades shouldn't blow up the humvee or BTR considering the armour they have. Although I may be underestimating the power of shrapnel. The  hand grenade also doesn't fall down the hatch and inside the humvee properly due to the collision model but it still kills the passengers inside except the driver.

I tested grenades on the technicals as well and all passengers are vulnerable to grenades. as long as the grenade lands on top of the bonnet or in the back. if the grenade lands next to the driver's door the driver will survive if the grenade lands next to the passenger's door the passenger will be killed instantly. So the drivers do have a higher chance of survival than the passengers. 

Bodies also seem to stop shrapnel so if you're in an open field with your dead or alive buddy make sure he is between you and the grenade or be the hero and dive on the grenade and save your buddy instead.

PS: Grenades underneath the humvees are also deadly but not always. If you want a guaranteed kill with a grenade make sure it's on top.

Edited by Dagon

1 hour ago, Dagon said:

Bodies also seem to stop shrapnel so if you're in an open field with your dead or alive buddy make sure he is between you and the grenade or be the hero and dive on the grenade and save your buddy instead?

Now that's something interesting that I wouldn't mind seeing a DEV to confirm.

An issue I have with the HUMVEE is having the driver shot out by small arms. A grenade launch will damage armour not due to the fragmentation, but the percussive energy released on impact. I would understand this knocking out vehicle crewmen if the grenade struck the glass or in the case of HEDP, the armour. 

Geting shot through armour and military grade ballistic glass by a couple 7.62 or 5.45 rounds is a joke. (Yes, with enough of any service ammunition you can bust ballistic glass, but a strafe of a couple rounds as you drive past a few militiamen shouldn't be the case.)

8 hours ago, Br@nnen said:

Now that's something interesting that I wouldn't mind seeing a DEV to confirm.

An issue I have with the HUMVEE is having the driver shot out by small arms. A grenade launch will damage armour not due to the fragmentation, but the percussive energy released on impact. I would understand this knocking out vehicle crewmen if the grenade struck the glass or in the case of HEDP, the armour. 

Geting shot through armour and military grade ballistic glass by a couple 7.62 or 5.45 rounds is a joke. (Yes, with enough of any service ammunition you can bust ballistic glass, but a strafe of a couple rounds as you drive past a few militiamen shouldn't be the case.)

I agree with 7.62 not going through the humvees but only because they are as armoured as they are today. If you read the book Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden you'll find out that the AK rounds from the Somali Militia were going through the humvees like a white hot knife through a slab of butter. Although if I remember correctly the only reason that happened was because the doors they received with their humvees were not armored not sure if that's a false memory or not. Will have to read the book again some time.

As for the bodies absorbing grenade blasts. You can test it yourself in the shooting range. Hop in blow yourself up with a grenade respawn run to your old body drop a grenade next to it or under it then hop on the other side of the body and go prone. Make sure another grenade isn't in your hand as it keeps your head raised when prone like the medic pack which will get you killed by the grenade almost every time. There is also a thread on here somewhere about jumping on grenades to save teammates that's what interested me in testing the grenades for myself. The shrapnel effect is just an visual effect at the moment. There isn't any ACE like fragmentation/shrapnel physically flying through the air. You'll see a similar effect happen when you fire a LAW rocket at a wreck there will be dark puffs of dust kicking up further away from the site of the explosion. To simulate shrapnel skipping off the ground at high speed in all directions you cannot be harmed by those at the moment.

Real world examples of fragmentation and shrapnel flying around

UE4 Shrapnel effect - 

Edited by Dagon

I haven't had this experienced at all. Rifle rounds usually just bounce off, but a grenade will make me bleed PROVIDED it explodes below or near the lower edge of the vehicle. 

lol

- 203 grenades use HEDP which in theory works like a mini-RPG warhead, aka pretty effective against light armored vehicles, like the BTR.

m433.jpg

- GP-25 (russian UGL) uses FRAG or HE warheads which is pretty useless agains anything armored (the Up-armored humvee currently in squad would take very little internal damage from this unless direct hit on glass)

- Handgrenades are also FRAG or HE, so it makes perfect sense that they would not damage crewmembers inside a well armored Humvee, it might scare the shit out of them and give them a slight concussion effect, but not any real damage.

- A possible reason why people get hurt from grenades under the Humvee atm is because there is a gaping hole in the vehicle model, just look under the seats of the vehicle when sitting in the back (might be wrong on this one)