FOBs  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Putting FOBs on points is?

• Always a good idea
    • Never a good idea
    • Acceptable in most situations
    • Acceptable in only a few situations

On 7/11/2016 at 10:19 AM, Monk said:

If you have no FOBs you leave the server because you obviously play with clueless and arrogant players.

Yup... by the time that any squad put a FOB on the ground after 25 mins or 30 mins ... leave...

Or try typing in the Team Chat: No FOB's = RIP

Well in the current mechanics, if you're going to fortify an area it may as well be on the objective, otherwise you're just advertising where the fob is to the enemy should they see any of your fortifications.

So yeah fobs on objectives are fine by me so long as they're in a reasonable place say not on a rooftop where you can easily get shot by the enemy and if you're expecting resistance on the point I'd organise logistics and get that place fortified asap.

I'm bothered with squad leads that just act retardely placing fobs as an automatism without any forethought and see it as the only solution and just play the game in autopilot in a straight line

On 10/24/2016 at 7:24 PM, Monk said:

Placing FOB on the flag is basically saying "I have experience with Project Reality".

Too bad this isnt project reality where you cant place H barriers and sandbag entrenchments, the gameplay is very different, even though the games concepts are almost identical

FOBs and RPs are essential to winning the game.  As to where to put it, there is no one straight answer, THAT is the great thing about this game; the game play is very fluid and in constant flux :)

On 12/10/2016 at 11:52 AM, Azor Ahype said:

Too bad this isnt project reality where you cant place H barriers and sandbag entrenchments, the gameplay is very different, even though the games concepts are almost identical

Unless something changed in 1.4, it is possible to create foxholes and sandbags in PR as well. Not hesco though. 

You can't make good foxholes in Squad though, only Militia and Insurgents seem to have a circle sandbag option lol.

58 minutes ago, Arduras said:

You can't make good foxholes in Squad though, only Militia and Insurgents seem to have a circle sandbag option lol.

They do?

FOB mechanics are very different in PR (though I don't known how much has changed in 1.4)

-  Get near an enemy FOB with a few guys and it becomes completely deactivated, meaning enemies can no longer spawn on it

- It's much more difficult to block off compounds because the deployables aren't really designed for it, except for the insurgent roadblocks

- FOBs only have to be 200 meters apart, not 400 meters

- You don't lose tickets for losing a FOB

Because of the last two points, in PR it's usually a good strategy to put three FOBS in a triangular configuration around an objective you're defending. This is a classic and proven strategy for defending caches in particular. In Squad, however, this is a bad ideas because the FOBs will end up being really far from the objective (because of the 400 meter rule) and because losing a FOB costs you 30 tickets. So I'm starting to get the idea that in a few cases, placing a FOB on an objective and fortifying it in Squad is the best strategy. You can keep the rally outside at a distance as a backup.

Edited by fatalsushi

16 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I'm fairly certain it's 20, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I've come to find that flag FOBs are generally not worth it.  When you position a FOB you are trading off safety of the FOB and maneuvering opportunity for time to reinforce the flag.  That's two factors that benefit putting it away vs. one putting it closer.  Generally you want several fobs some ways away from the flag to allow squads a more varied approach to find and exploit weaknesses in the enemy's defensive line.  In really tiny maps like Sumari Bala, impenetrable superfobs can be useful, but these usually hinge on enemies who just aren't skilled enough to know how to bust these fortresses.  And that's not a gamble you should usually make.

In my experience, I'm lucky to have one or two buddies in my clan who make some pretty good superFOBs. That, and with our coordination, makes them pretty tough to crack. And I mean, lasting long enough that we take the next flag while being overrun or lasting the entire game. Of course, it depends on the map and the flag. If given the choice between a superFOB on a cap zone that I know we can hold out for awhile if fortified, or 1-2 FOBs a bit away but are probably flankable by scant 3 guys. I'd take the superFOB. A superFOB on a flag drops allies into the cap zone, a close FOB means you have to walk to contest flags without rallies.

I personally can't superFOB well enough to save my life though. I need more study/practice of it.

There are now maps where flag FOBs are pretty much unavoidable. Yehorivka and Kokan have so many flags that are surrounded by open terrain that supporting those flags with off-flag FOBs isn't sustainable.

Losing a FOB is 20 tickets, which is quite a good chunk tbh, especially in INF modes.

Base FOBs are terrible on public servers because it's inevitable that everyone stares at the same entrance once there's a breach or contact. They're just absurdly easy to circumvent (at least on open ish maps) and on public servers it's a waste of tickets. Not to mention it's become a popular strategy to just toss frags and smoke over the walls causing chaos before even really pushing in.

Edited by Arduras

Inf modes shouldn't  be in this, they are only 150. Normal maps people sneeze an you lose more. Losing an asset from using it is better than not using the asset at all.  

There are very few squads that have the disipline to keep low squad KD. Or flip assets  or leave flags to defend fobs instead of the flag. There are many ways to lose tickets, and bleed is one of the worst. Losing flag to bleed means you should use effort you can to stop a bleed or keep a bleed. So put fob on a flag can make sence. 

If you have advantage of 1 flag on a 4 flag map  means others lose 3 per min, in 7 mins you have paid for a fob. Exactly the amount of time a non supply fob goes active.

Pretty sure bleed doesn't work like that outside of Conquest.

Putting a FOB on a base (on public servers) is a bad idea because ultimately it's a shitfest of explosives and smokes and then that's 20 for the FOB and 20 or 30 for the flag. 50 tickets hurts no matter the game mode. People sneeze and you lose more? yea maybe 9-12 tickets, not 50.

On 21/10/2016 at 1:33 PM, Skul said:

Always a bad idea. If you play against good enemy, they will surround the point and start spamming the objective with everything they can: GLs, RPGs, and HE 'nades.

Good enemy look for fob  around the flag before attacking. And average team show where fobs are. So either way you lose the fob. Do you split your defence for fob and flag or use the advantage of ammo and defence. If the defender watches the fob they lose the flag, if they watch the flag, they lose the fob. 

In an equal world the attacker will end up taking lots of loses taking the flag, so you try and make it hurt.

1 hour ago, Arduras said:

Pretty sure bleed doesn't work like that outside of Conquest.

Putting a FOB on a base (on public servers) is a bad idea because ultimately it's a shitfest of explosives and smokes and then that's 20 for the FOB and 20 or 30 for the flag. 50 tickets hurts no matter the game mode. People sneeze and you lose more? yea maybe 9-12 tickets, not 50.

Attacker Btr logistic and one squad  47 ticket.    Humvee logistic one squad  29  tickets don't take much, and if they attack with a fob and you clear it your tickets in. As long as the flag your on is worth it. 1 flag over minimum bleed 10min Fob paid for. 

It works if you're playing AAS with a single capture point line..

That way you can enforce the flag and barricade it to prevent attackers.

If there is a FOB on a CP it should be on the active one that is being defended, do not place a fob in every CP. 

Do not abandon a CP with a friendly FOB in it, if the CP is no longer cap-able then remove the FOB with SL.

That way if the enemy flanks around they wont be able to take those 20 tickets from your team.

Although i say "do not" i simply mean that is my opinion on this matter. I'm not telling you what to do, just what i think you should do and not do.

BleedEdit

As of Alpha v3, capturing Control Points incurs a bleed penalty for the enemy team. This bleed varies based on the amount of Control Points on the map, and the culminate amount of flags you team holds (e.g. Your team hold 3 out of 4 flags = 9 ticket per minutes penalty for the enemy team).

Note that to inflict ticket bleed upon the enemy team you need to control a majority of the flags on the map, it does not matter if the remaining flags are uncaptured or captured by the enemy. example: on a 4 flag layer map, if your team captures the first 2 flags and the enemy has not captured their flags, you will not inflict bleed on them as you are not holding the majority of the flags.

Control Points Bleed Amount
3 or 4 3 tickets per minute
5 or 6 2 tickets per minutes

50 minutes ago, Smee said:

Good enemy look for fob  around the flag before attacking. And average team show where fobs are. So either way you lose the fob. Do you split your defence for fob and flag or use the advantage of ammo and defence. If the defender watches the fob they lose the flag, if they watch the flag, they lose the fob. 

In an equal world the attacker will end up taking lots of loses taking the flag, so you try and make it hurt.

But that's not how you're supposed to do it. You're supposed to place the FOB in an area where your offense or defense screens the FOB. You're not supposed to have to defend the FOB on the FOB, but by making it costly or physically for the enemy to get to the FOB in the first place. Neither should you defend your flag from the flag, either. You should actively patrol the surrounding area and push out and engage enemies when they approach, tying them down, containing them, and controlling their movement.

Also, it perfectly fine to build a FOB close enough to a flag to place ammo crates and other emplacements within the flag radius.

On 12/14/2016 at 4:21 AM, Tartantyco said:

There are now maps where flag FOBs are pretty much unavoidable. Yehorivka and Kokan have so many flags that are surrounded by open terrain that supporting those flags with off-flag FOBs isn't sustainable.

This is definitely a legitimate problem, but I feel this is just a flaw of those maps; those are two of my least favorite maps (next to Chora and Sumari).  Expanding them and adding more villages/compounds/whatever would allow for more strategic flexibility.

Again, FOBs on points isn't universally bad.  It just usually is.

Determining where to put an FOB really depends on understanding its function.  FOBs are primarily logistics tools to keep lines of communication open to a specific region.  Whether or not that region is overwatch, defense, the flag or something else is a strategic consideration.  But the main purpose is to keep an area supplied with troops and ammunition.  Everything revolves around that.

FOBs are not good fighting positions, so generally having them in the middle of the action may not be the best use of them.  Having them in an area where people can assemble and move out on coordinated fire and maneuver missions or as a place to fall back to and regroup/resupply works out well. 

If an FOB comes under attack, the mission becomes a fixed defense to delay the enemy while another squad sets up a new FOB in a safe location.  FOBs, once attacked, always fall.  The idea should be to keep the enemy tangled up and away from the FOB, not around it.  If it's spawning troops under fire, it has failed and needs to be replaced. 

On 12/15/2016 at 9:53 PM, PaperbackWriter said:

Determining where to put an FOB really depends on understanding its function.  FOBs are primarily logistics tools to keep lines of communication open to a specific region.  Whether or not that region is overwatch, defense, the flag or something else is a strategic consideration.  But the main purpose is to keep an area supplied with troops and ammunition.  Everything revolves around that.

FOBs are not good fighting positions, so generally having them in the middle of the action may not be the best use of them.  Having them in an area where people can assemble and move out on coordinated fire and maneuver missions or as a place to fall back to and regroup/resupply works out well. 

If an FOB comes under attack, the mission becomes a fixed defense to delay the enemy while another squad sets up a new FOB in a safe location.  FOBs, once attacked, always fall.  The idea should be to keep the enemy tangled up and away from the FOB, not around it.  If it's spawning troops under fire, it has failed and needs to be replaced. 

I wouldn't say they always fall as long as you have a counteroffensive.  What so many people don't get is that the best defense is a good offense; you must be attacking their FOB and clearing their rallies.

Someone made the solid point to me that on tiny maps like Sumari Bala, where you'll only ever get 1 or 2 FOBs up, putting it on the point is a great idea because your reinforcement time is basically instant, and you'll be able to put up fortifications to hinder the enemy.  But again, people need to never ever ever stay on the FOB.  Every time I see people spawn and then take up a firing position nearby instead of pushing up, the FOB goes down.  If you try to put up FOBs on the north and south ends of the map (and you'll have to because it's so small) they'll be in the open, in bad positions, and you'll take long to get to the fight if you don't just get shot crossing the fields.

But any other map you should have a FOB in every grid square you can, in positions that encircle the current objective.  You want at least two approaches to enable team-level maneuvering.

It's much more frequent that I see teams losing because they only had 1 fob and it went down, as opposed to teams where they put up too many fobs and lose them, losing tickets.

Edited by NikolaiLev