Sign in to follow this  
PsychoChicken

FOB Radio - Chatter by players

Idea that was well received during a match yesterday.   While the ambient sounds from FOB radios are nice, it would be cool to have the teams actual communications play through FOB radios.  

Perhaps the ambient sounds would play when there are no active player comms

Could also add an interesting dynamic where enemy players can get some intel when within a certain range (very close) of the radio

Unfortunately, just like any chance for proximity based hearing of voip (regardless of the team you are on), is probably too easy to circumvent long term with players just avoiding the ingame voip (via mumble, teamspeak etc) 

Unfortunately, just like any chance for proximity based hearing of voip (regardless of the team you are on), is probably too easy to circumvent long term with players just avoiding the ingame voip (via mumble, teamspeak etc)

Maybe it could be the otherway around, that you think more where you put the FOB, and even thinking about what you saying on the comms. And it makes it importent to defend a FOB. I like the ide :)

I wouldn't get the feeling of faction languages at all. Meaning, no realism there.

I wouldn't get the feeling of faction languages at all. Meaning, no realism there.

It's not about 'realism', it's about punishing fobs that are built and left undefended. My proposal is to make it so only open squad leader chat is heard, while direct SL to SL is blocked.

So what your saying is that the commander channel is broadcasted over the radios? This could be very interesting expessually if you had a stealthy spy sneaking into the enemy fob with the only intention to be gaining Intel.

During public game it will be fun. During Clan war or Tournament ... it willbe epic and definitely part of tactic and strategy. Really sounds interesting

Anders, is it possible at all to scramble voices to have an accent? I get that perfection is out of the question, but just enough to separate it from normal local really.

+1 glad you posted the suggestion on the forums :)

I am down for the idea. I don't know what that will do about spawn camping fobs (only having one guy on it to just kill people but not cap it) maybe it will make it worse, or it could improve because then that player would have motivation to stay hidden. 

To expand on this what if that enemy who is listening could do something to sabotage the other teams radio communication temporary. Assuming a fobs radio acts as a relay or something, that can do something to it to jam radio communication within a radius, (400m?) More incentive to better hide/protect fobs. 

+1 glad you posted the suggestion on the forums :)

I am down for the idea. I don't know what that will do about spawn camping fobs (only having one guy on it to just kill people but not cap it) maybe it will make it worse, or it could improve because then that player would have motivation to stay hidden.

To expand on this what if that enemy who is listening could do something to sabotage the other teams radio communication temporary. Assuming a fobs radio acts as a relay or something, that can do something to it to jam radio communication within a radius, (400m?) More incentive to better hide/protect fobs.

It sounds like a cool idea but I think people will get pissed off if they can't communicate and might just use ts

Maybe IF one class has The abilty as a "translator/tolk" becuz of what Anders said. So you need to be 2-3 guys, and one of Them has to have that abilty. And dosent The FOB get destroyed IF enemy are close for a time? So when you go to attack a FOB you have to make sure a squad with a "translator" does it so you get Intel before it get destroyed!

But we should have ability to move or destroy our own fob. Non sense to protect fob out of line.

Any unintended cross faction comms pushes people to use 3rd party voip, which the Devs have said they want to avoid, which would mean great features like this suggested one just won't happen sadly.

@major trouble, but IF it works only with a "translator" (longrange kit ex.) and The only way to "spy" is to have The same amount of People it takes to destroy The FOB, and one of Them need to have that kit! So you can only here SL between SL in The mean time The FOB getting destroyed. So The only info you May be able to get is a grid position ore something. :) sry bad english/grammar

Don´t mess with in-game voip. Anything that conflicts with voip either it be spying or disruption will make players gravitate towards Teamspeak/mumble, myself included if the plan is having enemies spy on our squad conversations.

Such an unsporting attitude. 

"I'm going to go get a third party VOIP program because... because... that way I can win the internet"

Such an unsporting attitude. 

"I'm going to go get a third party VOIP program because... because... that way I can win the internet"

Well that is how it would go down sadly... he is just honest!

I know, but it makes me terribly sad! ;)

Many players yes. But for many it will be nice challenge and they will not get out of ingame voip to 3rd party :)