So everyone knows the walls in Chora by now. The number of times that people get shot because getting over a slightly too high wall requires standing full up and leaping into view of the enemy. But I feel that the collective frustration has kind pointed out an ability which would be incredibly handy and fit very well into SQUAD.

Mantling. In this case, rather than the jump key solely being a jump, it could be turned into a contextual mantle key. This makes far more sense with the combat oriented movement model of SQUAD, rather than a decontextualised jump.

Example 1: Infantry confronted by a wall of chest height can approach the wall and using 'forward' + 'jump' and mantle over the wall by grabbing the top and pulling themselves over sideways.

Example 2: Infantry confronted by low wall under fire is able to approach while crouched, using 'forward' + 'jump' they perform a low mantle/transition over the low wall, maintaining a minimal profile to the enemy.

These examples would result in a much more natural movement of infantry in combat, as well as getting rid of a lot of the frustration of having to run for 200 metres to find a gap in a fence which you would be perfectly capable of moving over in real life.

Thoughts?

olden but golden dev statement:

On 15.5.2015 at 11:05 PM, SgtRoss said:

We will have a vaulting system similar to BF3/4, we are trying to avoid the clunkiness of the ARMA "step over" animation.

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1277-will-there-be-vaultingjumping-and-suicide-bombers-on-insurgency-side/?do=findComment&comment=25211

time will tell...

Yes, I'm sure this will rely heavily on the "new" animation system that is hopefully being worked on. The true first person system has far too many cons that outweigh the benefits that could be...

Regardless of whether something similar makes its way into Squad...

Walk around. There's openings and destroyed sections there for a reason. People's desire to rush everything as fast as they can is what curbs the "tactical shooter" aspect.

The level designers (mappers) didn't put those access points there to make the map look pretty. ;)

Some fields are completely walled off with only 1 entrance and you have to find that one spot where it's possible to jump over + it's never the one with the raised ground or the half destroyed wall for some reason. Honestly some of the maps are horribly designed in this regard.

Anyway, I think what OP suggests is pretty hi-tech and would be a pain to develop.
I think simply making it so that you can go prone, while jumping would do the job. 1st it lowers your profile, 2nd it brings your lowest body part even higher so that slightly increases the chance of you going over the wall, 3rd if you don't land on a wall you faceplant into the ground

Did I mention boosting?

Edited by Peerun

On 2016-10-15 at 2:58 AM, Peerun said:

Anyway, I think what OP suggests is pretty hi-tech and would be a pain to develop.

As it turns out, the devs are actually to have mantling animations in this game. I think it will be implemented at around the same time as the player animations overhaul.

3 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

As it turns out, the devs are actually to have mantling animations in this game. I think it will be implemented at around the same time as the player animations overhaul.

Mantling animations, sure. But how will it be triggered? What OP suggests is for it to be like AC if I am not mistaken. My suggestion could also have animations, triggered simply by: Hit prone while in the air and didn't fall? Then mantle animation. Hit prone, while in the air and fell? Faceplant animation.
Whereas in OP's idea, there lies a requirement for the mantle animation being dependant on player character X map asset behaviour, or atleast that's what I think would have to happen - I am by no means an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't in that case every asset(where applicable) need to be reworked with the apropriate triggers?

11 hours ago, Peerun said:

Mantling animations, sure. But how will it be triggered? What OP suggests is for it to be like AC if I am not mistaken. My suggestion could also have animations, triggered simply by: Hit prone while in the air and didn't fall? Then mantle animation. Hit prone, while in the air and fell? Faceplant animation.
Whereas in OP's idea, there lies a requirement for the mantle animation being dependant on player character X map asset behaviour, or atleast that's what I think would have to happen - I am by no means an expert so correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't in that case every asset(where applicable) need to be reworked with the apropriate triggers?

That's why I am very curious to see how they will do it!

In other games, there are cover nodes placed near cover that tell the game what actions should be available at certain pieces of cover. On a small map, a level designer may have to place every single cover node by hand and adjust them to work smoothly. But on 4km x 4km maps, this is obviously not practical for human beings to set up.

3 hours ago, Nightingale said:

That's why I am very curious to see how they will do it!

In other games, there are cover nodes placed near cover that tell the game what actions should be available at certain pieces of cover. On a small map, a level designer may have to place every single cover node by hand and adjust them to work smoothly. But on 4km x 4km maps, this is obviously not practical for human beings to set up.

Well that seems to be the most tiresome way of doing it. Let's wait and see.

Yeah this clearly depends on the way in which the animation/character system interacts with objects in the unreal engine, something I'm totally unaware of.

I guess the only hope is that its a characteristic which can be defined by a change in config of either the static object being mantled, or the animation (e.g a change once, effect everywhere type thing). Any system which involves having to custom place nodes on a map which allows modification of character movement or object properties ONLY around that node would be ****ing hideous.

If this is already on the dev radar then I'm pretty satisfied, and it'll be cool to see how they handle/implement it.