Sign in to follow this  
XRobinson

1000 player servers

Its all untried as far as I know...needs testing and tweaking and experimentation.  You dont know until you try it.  I assume it works theoretically but in practice it needs to be played and bugs worked out.  

It wouldn't solve the exponential problem, as each one would have to check if another player is in range or not. There is no magical solution.

There may not be a magical solution but that doesn't mean there isn't a solution.  Where there is a will there is a way.  

If it was that simple someone would have come up with something. There are physical limits that affect how far games can go, as I have mentioned before: bandwidth, latency and processing time. Big companies have thrown a lot of resources on this problem already trying to achieve massive Multi-player fps games, but it is still far from being solved due to these hard limits.

6 hours ago, XRobinson said:

There may not be a magical solution but that doesn't mean there isn't a solution.  Where there is a will there is a way.  

sure, if you have a couple of millions to spare to provide R&D for the massive technology gap that there is currently. 

"i want this to happen, and therefore it is possible" is not a real way to go around doing business :D 

Never said that. :) Just put it out here for discussion, did not want to get into any big debates or prove anyone right or wrong.  Its just a discussion thread where far out ideas can be pondered.  Got to push the bounderies in thought before actions.  Its all well and good.  People who try new things out are the ones who make discoveries and invent new methods. :)

All this talk of servers and I found articles on speeding up servers by 10.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-ibm-dell-emc-we-can-make-servers-that-are-10-times-faster/

Edited by XRobinson
article

1000 people is way too much the amount of changes that would have to be made to the base game is unreasonable. Plus the amount of computers required to host a single server like that just isn't economical. This is just silly.

Could've been a lot more, this is Squad we are talking about, amazing game.