Sign in to follow this  
XRobinson

1000 player servers

Noticed this video when looking up 1000 player servers.  Can this be used in Squad to get 1000 player server?  Interesting stuff they doing, what you think?

I can't tell if you're serious.

Edited by Maki

The logistics of having a 500 man Army to divide up into squads would be fun challenge.  Each division would be made up just like a real Army....in this scenerio we would have Generals leading the strategy for each division. The generals would have to work together to implement the battle plan and adjust it as necessary. Fun to try in my opinion.

1000 is a bit extreme, but I have fond memories of some epic 200 player events we had in PR a few years ago. 200 players even on a 4x4 km map was pretty intense.

Devs are trying to get the player counts up to 100 reliably. That's about a 38% increase. You're talking about almost a 1400% increase. You're just daffy.

Daffy....ha ha...I got on this subject because I read the thread about D Day and wondered if a real D Day invasion could be pulled off in a FPS game with thousands of players storming the beach and air.  I think it will be done someday soon by some daffy person.   Think big and big things happen! :)

Did you guys even watch the video?

Edited by XRobinson

@Maki Yes a single server might have trouble.....did you watch the video?

Edited by XRobinson

I watched the video, horrible performance with players at a distance only updating a few frames every second,
This is fine for something like no mans sky or an exploration game, but if you are trying to shoot a target that is literally teleporting in the distance then its not going to work. and notice how the map is just a field with a few bushes, not thousands of assets and effects with sync'd vehicles.

could it work? in theory, but would it for squad? probably not.

You guys are missing the point! Imagine this developing and becoming something big and can actually be applied to games in the near future. Think how coordinated melee/archer battles would be with 500 v 500 maps? Civil war battles on huge proportions? Maybe even consider no re-spawn mode? That would be epic.

58 minutes ago, Tomato-Rifle said:

You guys are missing the point! Imagine this developing and becoming something big and can actually be applied to games in the near future. Think how coordinated melee/archer battles would be with 500 v 500 maps? Civil war battles on huge proportions? Maybe even consider no re-spawn mode? That would be epic.

Speaking of Epic, the engine wouldn't be able to handle it, not just 1000 players, but a map size that can suit 1000 players without scaling down on some basic game features. 

Great idea for 10 years in the future, but sadly not much of a thing we can do in today's world. 

1 hour ago, LMR Sahara said:

Speaking of Epic, the engine wouldn't be able to handle it, not just 1000 players, but a map size that can suit 1000 players without scaling down on some basic game features. 

Great idea for 10 years in the future, but sadly not much of a thing we can do in today's world. 

Which is why i said "near future". Just something to get excited about! I know its so far away it wont be applicable to squad. I think we all know that.

Edited by Tomato-Rifle

Just now, Tomato-Rifle said:

Which is why i said "near future". Just something to get excited about! I know it far away and wont be applicable to squad. I think we all know that.

My bad, I thought this was in a general discussion thread haha. 

Im all for it, as stated above, a 500 man battalion, splitting up into 5 different  (100 man) companies, each company being composed of 10 Squads. 

Say one each company has 2 squads to play a support role (air support and Armor) 

The day we can do that, and Im sure we will be able to at some point, will be glorious. 

12 hours ago, JarryHead said:

1000 is a bit extreme, but I have fond memories of some epic 200 player events we had in PR a few years ago. 200 players even on a 4x4 km map was pretty intense.

Yep...We'd that in JointOperations a 150 & 200 player scrims...But I tell ya,bloody good times.

One day guys. Before 20 years email was scifi and nobody believe in it. 

Its not necessary have 1000 players at one map. 

If we could create at this moment some kind of hybrid. Like idea of Of Kings and mens game. We could have thousands players but in battle could be small amount like 100 max. But lost or win would have consequences from bigger scale. 

But yeah thats dreams.

What you're actually after is player density, which is very different from player counts.

If you want an extremely high player density, some games already offer that. Counter strike, for example, is much more player dense than squad :) .

Once you are out of range of fire from rifles, MGs, grenades, any ground weapons then your FPS to those guys far away shouldn't matter that much right?  Everything in the video seems related to range from other players and what happens to those players who are far away from you to matter if you ever try to hit them with a weapon.  I could see if say there were bombers in the sky carpet bombing the ground from high above and decimating all below, that could be coded differently than the guys on the ground action is, right?  So, teleporting of players far away makes no difference, you couldn't hit them with any ground weapons anyway.  Far away action doesn't need to be computed by your client if its too far away to matter.

The problem is that there must be a central entity that must decide what matters to what player and what doesn't, and it is not simple to do. The amount of information increases exponentially for each additional player. Leaving that decision to each client leaves an open door for cheats and hacks. And add network bandwidth, lag and packet loss, and it becomes clear that it is a huge thing to solve. It is not a simple matter of having huge processing and network capacities.

Understood, but there can be ways of making a cell network like your wireless phones use....to make collision and hit responses to only those in range of a cell.  The master authority could be distributed rather than centralized between perhaps rotating virtual clients on a single server or using multi core CPUs...having one core be made to authorise so many cells on your map. :)

Yeah, I think that is how Dual is going for it, by creating dynamic segments and thus limiting the updates to those players inside a segment instead of globally. The problem then becomes the edge cases, where players in one segment interact with players in another segment. A hierachical structure could handle that, so these edge cases would be treated by an upper layer of decision, until it reaches a global layer for actions that may affect almost all segments. Which also resembles telecom network infrastructure in a way ;) 

Yeah I see how edges of a cell might not work well.  Each client could be viewed as a cell and have a range....when each clients cell is in range of others clients cells they can interact, if not they are too far away to interact.  This way there is not dividing up a map into cells but a dynamic cell network on a map which changes as they interact on a map thereby solving the cell edge problem where you couldn't interact between the edges of a cell like network on your map. :) 

There would be no master authority checking locations and hits, there would be checking of range of cells, then sending that info as needed to the clients somehow.

Edited by XRobinson

22 hours ago, XRobinson said:

There would be no master authority checking locations and hits, there would be checking of range of cells, then sending that info as needed to the clients somehow.

So would a sustained intense firefight even be possible with someone (enemy) in another cell?