NB84

Squad Leader ditching at game start. Solution: 'Lead a Squad' button

The easiest way to ruin a game from the start is by having someone "create a squad" and immediately leave it. This creates a round-robin of "who's the Squad Leader?!" and ruins the momentum/planning/implementation of the game. It requires switching kits and is a total hassle to every player. I have noticed that it is usually first-time players who do this accidentally.

An easy fix would be to either have a pop-up box warning, or just rephrase it to "Lead a Squad" instead of the more vague: 'Create a Squad'

This problem happens every game, and this way new players will understand what they are clicking. 

I don't see how "Create a Squad" is vague, when you create a squad of course you're going to lead it.

i'm sure he means to allow people to group up without having a squad leader.

I guess if noone wanted to lead that group of people they would technically be unassigned once the round started.

I can see that it solves the problem of people who dont want to be SL creating leaderless squads but it creates a new problem, which is...Leaderless squads :)

From what ive seen most people dont want to create a squad early as they fill up with riff raff. Then you have to go through the process of kicking people and it all gets a bit ugly. Squad leaders who lead a lot will usually wait till there are a few other squads filling up before they create theirs.

The current system does disrupt the game when a player leaves and often many squads are not created for a long time at the start of a round.

There are a lot of options which could be suggested but I cant see one which is better than the current system. Allowing leaders to to choose players will unbalance squads and limit community growth. NB84's suggested system is almost like making all the squads that first squad with the benefit of at least getting the pre-game organisation started. 

I really cant think of a way to improve it except suggesting you play on servers with more experienced players and avoid joining squad 1 unless it has a clever name. :D

I have seen this a lot, most recently this guy goes by the name of Will he was doing this constantly, would create a squad, people would join and he leaves in the middle of a firefight or a situation that requires a lead. 

Edited by fantomactual

15 hours ago, NB84 said:

The easiest way to ruin a game from the start is by having someone "create a squad" and immediately leave it. This creates a round-robin of "who's the Squad Leader?!" and ruins the momentum/planning/implementation of the game. It requires switching kits and is a total hassle to every player. I have noticed that it is usually first-time players who do this accidentally.

An easy fix would be to either have a pop-up box warning, or just rephrase it to "Lead a Squad" instead of the more vague: 'Create a Squad'

This problem happens every game, and this way new players will understand what they are clicking. 

I believe the only way we can resolve this issue is to assign the full SL kit to those who are forced into leading the squad after the round has started, having to go back to an ammo crate or commit suicide to change kits is disruptive, time consuming and isn't fair to the members of that squad.

Asked one Guy why he created and then swapped, " i have to do this or i cannot play"

so that is how it is, every session must be playable for everyone.....or maybe err thats not how....well...bother

So, Lead a Squad is obvioulsy what that button should say, imho.

i'm talkin about rephrasing the button for absolute first-timers who don't understand what creating a squad implies... i always question people who ditch SL position immediately in voice chat. almost always, it's people who just bought the game, started a squad, and just didn't know that 'create a squad' gave them a leadership role.

i just want the implications of creating a squad to be more clear, so a new player who can't fit into another squad doesn't just make a squad out of thin air without understanding what they are doing. they should know that they are assuming a responsibility and a role. this should be clear to the first-time player. when it's not clear, it accidentally derails the game start. it's natural to click 'create squad' the first time you see it. i did once or twice when i started. as it stands, people are just unknowingly clicking it with the intention to make more slots to play in. 

all we need is a way to clearly inform the first-time player. a popup dialog: "Create a squad and lead it into battle as Squad Leader" would do the trick too.

>> i agree foremost that every squad should have a leader. so it's extra important that the creator knows that they will have a leadership role. as i mentioned, a new player will instinctively see the 'create squad' button and click it... and once they realize they have the chevron next to their name, they bail. or worse, they aren't even aware, and don't even have a mic. this wastes the prep/warm-up time, vehicle claiming, kit swapping... (if you don't want a squad, go unassigned)

>> having the SL kit move to the next SL during the beginning of a round, without needing an ammo, can is a good idea. (as long as it isn't used after the first 3 minutes or something, to prevent swapping in battle.)

ty guys 

Its always a good idea to have clearer terms used in the user interface. In this case I feel like changing it to 'Lead a Squad' would remove a hell of a lot of potential for confusion. Whether or not we have all learned that 'Create a Squad' equates to starting one AND leading it, it wouldn't hurt at all for newer players to have informative terms used in the interface which fully disclose what is going to happen when they click.

On 2016/10/12 at 5:33 PM, r3volution said:

Its always a good idea to have clearer terms used in the user interface. In this case I feel like changing it to 'Lead a Squad' would remove a hell of a lot of potential for confusion. Whether or not we have all learned that 'Create a Squad' equates to starting one AND leading it, it wouldn't hurt at all for newer players to have informative terms used in the interface which fully disclose what is going to happen when they click.

Well said.

This is good sugestion. 

Create squad -> Lead squad. Clear and behind those words are picture. Much more true behind it. People can imagine what does it mean and feel responsibility behind this.

I also add say "well said" @r3volution and @NB84 suggestion

In addition, I think it would also be worth while for a clear message to pop up when the Squad Lead is transferred to you..... (or does it already and I keep missing it? hmmmm)

In some games, I keep asking the Squadie to put down a rally point, just to discover I am the Squadie.  (If I see the SL has changed I always point out to the new leader that they have been promoted and give congratulations).

If there is "You are the SL" notification, i have never seen any. Many times i'm joining a squad and playing with my squad, later on i'm starting to hear complains why the SL doesn't do anything, only to notice it has been me for the past 10 min.

The game should at least force you to take the SL kit if you die after previous kit when you became SL.

"Create a squad" should also have a pop-up to clarify this action will make you SL.

Also little offtopic. The incapacitated players who are going to give-up should also have an pop-up (after pressing give-up) that would say "There is friendly medic near you, are you sure you want to give-up?" If there ain't any medics (for example inside 50m radius), there won't be any notification. I can't tell how many times i'm patching someone as an medic, only to realize the guy just gave-up (even when speaking in the local voip to them).

Edited by Maamyyra

Here's a wild idea...make squads only abstract at first. 3 people joined your squad and clicked ready? GREAT! You're ready to roll out!