Sign in to follow this  
oxygencube

[Mapping] Lighting Your Map

Beautiful. Once again, thanks for holding the stream! You guys are definitely showing other developers on how to involve their community, especially when you provide mod support, as always.

I noticed that he spent alot of time having to place the Sphere Reflection Capture Nodes in a grid all around the map (Not during the stream, but when working apparently). Would it be possible to write some piece of C++ code to do this automatically?

7 hours ago, Didgy said:

I noticed that he spent alot of time having to place the Sphere Reflection Capture Nodes in a grid all around the map (Not during the stream, but when working apparently). Would it be possible to write some piece of C++ code to do this automatically?

Yea, I could prob come up with something in BP. I actually just copy/paste a set from another map. In the end, I still have to adjust most of them by hand to get optimum placement/height. Really doesn't take long tbh, not worth the R/D time to create the tool imho.

Oh man, thanks for the tut. I was like " yeah throw some lights in yeah looks good, I am done" Now I am like "..ehh ok delete all lights restart"

Some good news about lighting in upcoming UE 4.16.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?142071

Epics has optimized DFAO, so it might return in squad in later releases.

If you dont know what DFAO is, here is the link.

Also I should say that lighting in open world games made on UE - is one of the major problems in my opinion.

The second problem (and the most important) is perfomance and the absence of primitive methods of optimizing ordinary things, such as the absence of shadow lods. Yes, you can do shadow lods using blueprins (prefabs), but from the engine like UE4 I personally expected something built-in inside mesh import pipleline, the same way such as ordinary lods import for example.

Also the overdraw budget is really low. 

Edited by FishMan

@FishMan: that last one was interesting. i have one concern though, due to me believing that fully Dynamic lighting does not use Lightmaps. Why does he appear to discuss using lightmaps in the Dynamic section of that vid?

7 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Why does he appear to discuss using lightmaps in the Dynamic section of that vid?

Hmm. Not sure that he did that and for obvious reasons I will not watch whole video from start.

But anyway lightmaps are static, or at least stationary, cause you're still able to use dynamic lights in conjunction with static.

And some games did it even for large environments.

Im not 100% sure, but I think BF2 (PR) using lightmaps as the Heroes and Generals, where static shadows are replacing with dynamic shadow maps in close range. In Squad we still have shadows at close range. But at far there are no shadows at all and thats a shame. But its more a question of engine technology, UE4 is one of the worst engines for large environments with dynamic lighting.

CryEngine is better. And here you can get a clue why. But still CryEngine is a giant nightmare in question of developing your own game especially a multiplayer game, so that is an obvious reason why devs picked UE4.

And yes, lightmaps have nothing to do with Squad, cause Squad uses dynamic lighting.

Edited by FishMan