Sign in to follow this  
Dtodt13

Gun shot hints

So i have major trouble spotting enemy fire and had this idea- in the darker areas of maps like shadows, under trees, bushes, and general areas that are not sunny (where people hide from most) could we get a slight muzzle flash? Also when people are shooting from over a wall could we get dust effects? same thing when laying in prone. I think thatd be super realistic, easy to implement, and help out others like myself find enemy when getting shot at. 

If I remember correctly, dust effects are on the way. Not sure about muzzle flashes.

We have dust effects but i believe they are limited in how far away they show up due to perfomance concerns. So im not actually sure they can be used to spot enemies unless they are right next to you.

i know IRL everything that has to do with the muzzle is the first thing people look for. i just notice when im taking fire in the game i cant spot anything other than the tracer or i actually see the person, which can take a while. flash would be a great addition. im not sure ive see the dust in game before but ill have to look. dust would definitely help in maps like chora with all those clay walls where you can barely see someones head peaking over. 

A more viable muzzle flash would definitely make target acquisition easier for players using iron sights or red dots, who often are at a disadvantage relative to M4 ACOG or AKS74 w/ Optic in terms of target acquisition (with the exception of CQB).  Whether that is feasible given engine/performance considerations is the key question. 

3 hours ago, fu* said:

A more viable muzzle flash would definitely make target acquisition easier for players using iron sights or red dots, who often are at a disadvantage relative to M4 ACOG or AKS74 w/ Optic in terms of target acquisition (with the exception of CQB).  Whether that is feasible given engine/performance considerations is the key question. 

Yeah id love to see a dev's input.

I thought the muzzleflash was already quite bright. Might have something to do with what your effects settings are at. Even in the early Alpha showcase footage you could see bright orange flashes inside and on the walls near the muzzles.

Dust is already in. You can spot enemies fine, but when they spot you first and they're a long way away from you, you're often ****ed if you have no cover. Which is not a problem with in-game visibility, but first and foremost a problem with your positioning. If you get spotted first, you're very likely to go down before you can return fire effectively. Just like it would happen in the real world.

In my experience, the most valuable information for finding enemies at range (and up close) is the direction of fire. For that, you have to learn to listen for the gunshot sounds. LEARN to listen, because you have to learn to ignore the - often much louder - bullet crack sounds as the bullets snap past close by your head. Shortly after each bullet crack, you will hear a faint pop in the distance. That's the gunshot, and you hear it slightly later than the bullet crack, because the bullet is moving faster than the speed of sound. Turn your head and see if you can pinpoint the direction of the pops. Now you know which direction the enemy is. The gunshot pop loudness will give you a distance estimate. With that information you should have enough to know pretty accurately where to expect the enemy contact. Just don't get tunnel visioned and always keep looking out for your flanks. :-)

It also helps being able to tell apart M4 fire and AK weapon fire. US won't have AK's, Russians and Insurgents don't have M4's. Just watch out for militia, which can have M4's and SAWs and can do cheeky unexpected flank attacks with 'em.

12 hours ago, Karm said:

Dust is already in. You can spot enemies fine, but when they spot you first and they're a long way away from you, you're often ****ed if you have no cover. Which is not a problem with in-game visibility, but first and foremost a problem with your positioning. If you get spotted first, you're very likely to go down before you can return fire effectively. Just like it would happen in the real world.

In my experience, the most valuable information for finding enemies at range (and up close) is the direction of fire. For that, you have to learn to listen for the gunshot sounds. LEARN to listen, because you have to learn to ignore the - often much louder - bullet crack sounds as the bullets snap past close by your head. Shortly after each bullet crack, you will hear a faint pop in the distance. That's the gunshot, and you hear it slightly later than the bullet crack, because the bullet is moving faster than the speed of sound. Turn your head and see if you can pinpoint the direction of the pops. Now you know which direction the enemy is. The gunshot pop loudness will give you a distance estimate. With that information you should have enough to know pretty accurately where to expect the enemy contact. Just don't get tunnel visioned and always keep looking out for your flanks. :-)

It also helps being able to tell apart M4 fire and AK weapon fire. US won't have AK's, Russians and Insurgents don't have M4's. Just watch out for militia, which can have M4's and SAWs and can do cheeky unexpected flank attacks with 'em.

Thats some good information. I wish i had a gaming headset. Right now i just use a pair of apple earphones lol. I can tell left and right but forward and backwards is the same thing :/