Chuc

September 2016 Monthly Recap

This is fantastic, chaps! One of the main reasons I love this game is because unlike many of the higher budget games out there, I know that everything I'm looking at while I'm playing, including the layout of maps (which never happens in any other game) is constantly being dramatically updated and expanded despite how much I enjoy this game so much already. So much to look forward to.

Also, despite what some are saying, I find your attention to detail in making these models extremely impressive. Very much looking forward to seeing the British in the game, and that rocket SPG looks terrifying!

(P.S. Samogon, you're striking me as either a juvenile or an imbecile.)

The animation blueprint improvement is going to be gold.

Edited by Maki

On 04/10/2016 at 8:47 PM, Valen Noctis said:

As much as I am happy about advances in development , I can not help but to be ambivalent regarding the whole picture.

Now I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I reckon honesty is a tad more important than a eloquent pat on the back.

With that said let us begin:

Firstly, I just do not understand some things; which may be related to my mental capabilities; but why is it that the features you show us are only the fraction of value that they could be. What I mean here is that it is known that the development team is rather small in comparison to the scope of the project, but I do not reckon that expanding on features such as the server browser does not take that much of manpower nor time as developing a new map. Now here comes the argument that until I am in the circle I am not allowed to pass judgement on these things which I also consider somewhat agreeable to a degree, but as a customer I wish to share my sentiments on the subject. Alas I digress..

Back to the browser issue.

The optimisation is much appreciated, however where is the much needed filters, and  auto-join functions?

Is it that low on the priority list but optimisation is not?

Performance telemetry/Engine optimisations

Hope you guys pull trough this would make many players a bit more content.

UI touch-up

Great, however thank god, that compass size is also subject to hate change.

Animation Blueprint Improvement

"You will finally able to see if the enemy is aiming at you and about to shoot you down..."  I wish I could make out such things even at even close distances, UE post process seems horrible even with sweet fx.

Brits

Would have been happier with upgrading current assets , but bread and circus I guess. Do not get me wrong it is great but it just gives me the wrong impressions, and here is a another joke of my decaying mind-state.

SPG

Great weapon, but I would rather think about the current state of static weapons. At this point the .50s just feel like glorified anti-LAWs to me. Wouldn't it be better to fix that first?

Javelin

It will be a cool addition, when tanks come out ETA 2 years......

Why not just make more prevalent and needed weapons and add-ons with your modellers?

Improvised Mobile Rocket Artillery

Adding it in the game as of now would be a rather bad idea, with no counter artillery/area denial so to speak of it would play out horribly unbalanced against the average squad player.

The rest of the recap is welcome but not that much of a interest to me, and now for one last bit of nagging. I understand that sometimes the circumstances dictate at which you can proceed with the development, but I feel a little sad and betrayed regarding the base experience with the game. By this I would mean no harm, but the core gameplay is just not there yet, even with the argument "it is only alpha" it is just not there yet. The infantry teamplay is rather crude, the gunplay needs more love, and some design choices feel like they have been put in rather half-assedly (static guns,optics,medics,scouts, and vehicles), and that is even without UE crumbling on itself. I would rather see these done first as I subjectively find them of paramount importance in order be content with what I have.

But that's just me, keep up the good work devs.

Peace

Basically - iteration.

Static emplacements, optics, medics, scouts and vehicles are in and function well enough - they also aren't a small task to overhaul and iterate on especially when "updating" something isn't the same as dropping exclusively new content. It makes sense to expand and/or iterate in other areas while developing, especially since the team isn't huge and not all of them are full time. This and the fact that most people don't realise that there are dependencies as well - working on X might mean taking away a programmer, which means they're not working on something that's prioritised. In addition to that, there are systems that might require X from the art team, not everything in art has to be confined to current plans. I assume you've noticed that out of all the departments, art generally produces the most quantity of content once they established their pipeline and requirements etc and they can spit out assets. To you that might seem irrelevant to the current stuff in-game, but to the OWI dev team that's another art asset completed from the product backlog.

"It is alpha" isn't an argument or an excuse - it's a fact. This is still the core way features and systems would be developed without Early Access to the masses. "Half-assedly" is functional, not polished or necessarily entirely enjoyable. It's a stepping stone to getting there though. Polishing the areas you've mentioned right now would just make the gameplay a little smoother but it wouldn't expand it or give it depth. They have their development plan, their priorities (which change as development progresses since it's an extremely fluid process) and passing judgement is fine but at the end of the day when you're talking about something like management of development, priorities and planning then knowledge on the subject matter is pretty crucial.. plus it's a team decision at the end of the day. One persons opinion on their whole team operation (as in "X should be a priority now instead of Y") just.. doesn't hold a lot of weight, unless you're like a seasoned Creative Director or something. :P 

Anyway, hopefully that clears some questions you might have! :D

6 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Well, they said they're discussing it internally, so no decisions yet, it seems

6 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Well, they said they're discussing it internally, so no decisions yet, it seems

I would be all for it. A good compromise between true first person and the other just to solve the ADS problem is well worth it imo.

32 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

I would be all for it. A good compromise between true first person and the other just to solve the ADS problem is well worth it imo.

Better ADS perspective + no more jittery scope + no shots going to the side when aiming above/ below + better FOV + resting weapons animation + better possibilities for other animations without having to worry something clipping into your view > seeing your own legs. And they could still add seeing own legs as any other animation. I really hope they remove true 1st person.

I fully agree, screw true first person if it has so many disadvantages. The only "cool" feature is that you can see your legs, any others aren't even noticed by players (but who cares about those legs anyways?. :P

Edited by carmikaze

I love getting updates like this.  You guy honestly remind me of DICE circa 2000-2006, before EA bought them out and swallowed their sole.  

Keep up the good work.

21 hours ago, kotton said:

I love getting updates like this.  You guy honestly remind me of DICE circa 2000-2006, before EA bought them out and swallowed their sole...

DICE, those soul swallowers. :)

On 05/10/2016 at 9:46 PM, Bassi said:

British! Woo. What was in the rest of the update?¬¬

Quote:

[–]motherdear1Programmer 3 points 1 day ago 

Do remember that we do not show everything that is being worked on in our monthly recaps, so be assured that we are working on new assets.

2 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Quote:

[–]motherdear1Programmer 3 points 1 day ago 

Do remember that we do not show everything that is being worked on in our monthly recaps, so be assured that we are working on new assets.

The sarcasm went over your head, eh?

On 10/4/2016 at 10:51 AM, samogon said:

Quod erat demonstandum.

Make your own,call your project realistic... what else?Oh yeah,delete posts,close feedback treads,ban people and don't give a flying **** on community opinion.

Good job OWI,Good job.

I'm almost sure your gestapo wait for reason to delete this post.

People giving their opinion and "wanting Squad to be Soviet Army Simulator 2016" - as you've been complaining about for the past few months; are two different things. 

I see you complain way more than provide a positive two cents or feedback without calling the Devs Lazy or Clueless.

You're questioning the British character models, when one of the devs who aided with developing those was in the British Army himself. Were you in the British Army? Please tell me how you know more than Melbo on what the British Army does and does not use? I'd imagine your computer screen in your soviet block apartment must tell you what is and what isnt, right? 

Why are you still here? On this forum, on this game? Honest question; Im genuinely getting frustrated with your lack of positive feedback in this community, and I know Im not the only one. UE4 and the SDK is free; you want Changes? Make them yourself. This isnt your game.  

Either way - back on topic now. There's a feedback forum for a reason. 

Edited by LMR Sahara

16 hours ago, grimshadow said:

Is that animation stuff mentioned part of the new animation system being worked on?

I'm really not sure. I used to hear about the animation system being re-done but haven't in quite some time. Not sure if the Dev's are going to stick with this system or come up with a different one... 

6 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

I'm really not sure. I used to hear about the animation system being re-done but haven't in quite some time. Not sure if the Dev's are going to stick with this system or come up with a different one... 

I think the key here is not to confuse them making new animations (which are basically assets) with them working on the animation system. They're definitely working on it and it's a pretty long process to begin with! We'll probably get more information on it after Alpha 8 drops. :D

I don't quite understand why the British are being worked on so soon. I know that obviously the art team needs to be doing things, but i would have thought all the stuff for the current factions would be sorted out first and then they'd be worked on after the 'main' things were done. I suppose it does make sense to have the beginnings of each faction sorted out and then add new stuff, but for some reason i was under the impression they'd be left until much later on.

Still, I'm glad they've been shown and they look awesome so far!

On 10/4/2016 at 9:25 AM, IrOnTaXi said:

Don't bother with him Tim..  waste of your time. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Apparently noone knows how to mount their scopes...   hmmmmmmmmm

Afghan_spg_9_1.jpg

yep.. there they go.. doing it all wrong again... they should have asked the FPS players before doing that

And this is where they come in ranting and raving about variants..  CUE THE RANT!

LMAO...nothing like seeing someone's silly rant absolutely destroyed in one picture. Can understand constructive criticism but a cancerous post like the one that guy did while calling the dev's work cancer......

8 hours ago, STEALTHKILLER said:

LMAO...nothing like seeing someone's silly rant absolutely destroyed in one picture. Can understand constructive criticism but a cancerous post like the one that guy did while calling the dev's work cancer......

sometimes i actually hurt myself i facepalm so hard at comments on here.   :)

frabz-one-does-not-simply-fail-so-hard-f

25 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

sometimes i actually hurt myself i facepalm so hard at comments on here.   :)

frabz-one-does-not-simply-fail-so-hard-f

You being a DEV I imagine there's many times you have to find yourself doing that from folks making ignorant comments about game development and/or just the game itself, especially when they do it in a condescending manner.  Keep up the great work; I'm addicted to Squad and look forward to what's coming down the pipe!

Glad to see UK Forces being added finally!

Seems as though there are some issues here with people regarding the model shown...

Although we do use 'Crye' uniform, it's not personal issue. At least from my experience anyway. Lads tend to buy their own kit especially infantry like the para's in the video people are showing.

Loving the helmet though, glad to see the scrim is on there!

With the vest, I have to agree it looks nothing like Osprey. Maybe more like the new Virtus kit? One thing I would like to say on this though is that it's no longer the case with operational orders to have things like mags on the front of your vest. We tend to have our webbing under the vest and a molle belt/webbing with pouches around the waist instead.(seen in the video too)

If you want to make it more realistic and add proper knee pads then just have the one, we're quite tight and like to share the funds!

Can't wait to see it added and the models for the L85/minimi/GPMG!