Sign in to follow this  
FishMan

Character Models

Hi. Me again.

At this time - something that I am not sure you will agree for, but it really really cool stuff, so i just can't not to tell you....

But first things first...

Today I was thinking about to give a little feedback on your russian character model (because there are a lot of wrong things, like wrong helmet proportions, wrong folds on the clothing, wrong equipment combination and etc) and i was looking for a good references and I came across these sick screenshots that are really impressed me:

duIYb1jMZls.jpg

NlfUWFUKST8.jpg

COkjMBtftwA.jpg

Awesome huh? For whose who not understand this is a real world scanned data, so basicly this is a real human in real russian combat equipment...

So after i found my jaw I immediately got in contact with a guy who posted this screenshots.

He is a really cool guy well versed in the Russian equipment (i think i can even call him some sort of military expert) and he gave me more cool screenshots that i am really glad to share with you (you can use it as a reference):

4RPslk8RkOY.jpg

xw9DeD-H9ew.jpgqIO5L-I6ESs.jpg

Tx7tR2q0wwQ.jpg

TlexV.jpg

Also he told me that he is workong in russian company called Digital Forms that doing this sick scans and he was scanning him self there...

But this is where a tale ends and reality begins unfortunately.

Because this company wouldnt do anything for free. I asked him to find out how much will it cost to scan one character.

This company basicly do the whole process: Scanning, cleaning, resculpting bad parts and making low poly textured game ready asset.

He told me that doing only scanning well be cheaper. Also he said that it is possible to scan parts of the equipment to combine them at the end.

He said that he could find almost any outfit (since he played airsoft) and even suggest how it should be for a specific type of troop and specialty.

Also he can do an american or any other faction soldier but it will be a little bit harder because he need to find the right equipment (backpacks, boots, vests and etc.)

Well in the end it is your call )

I will add the info later after he tell me how much it will cost.

those look sick (albiet a little messy but that could be smoothed out sure)

i own a gorka jacket in real life and i really hope that if those are implemented in some way they actually keep them loose looking, because they're made that way.

Albiet a little messy but that could be smoothed out sure

Yeah this is basically a test scans and there should be a cleaning pass after scanning. Production quality is way better. You can check their portfolio for a better examples.

This photogrammetry process seems very efficient and accurate. Fingers crossed that the devs ship this!

Well, I guess all you need to do to actually get this in-game is clean the high poly, resculpt broken parts, sort out the polygroups, retopo, unwrap, bake, texture, skin / rig and you're good to go, right?

Come on, let the character artists keep their job. ;)

Damn, those are amazing!

If we could see something like this for all of the factions (probably not the Taliban though :P) that would be epic.

As for the "messiness" of the models, they could serve either as a starting point, or even just references for the devs.

Edit: BTW, another "catch of the day" for FishMan. :P

@Assifuah
Retopology, texturing, and grouping are all covered by the company. Aswell, the devs did state

in their FAQ that they would use some of the kickstarter money to buy art assets. 

P.S.
The guy's only suggesting a credible art asset source. Don't shoot him down on it...

Makes you kind of a buzkill, sorry. 

@Assifuah

Retopology, texturing, and grouping are all covered by the company. Aswell, the devs did state

in their FAQ that they would use some of the kickstarter money to buy art assets. 

P.S.

The guy's only suggesting a credible art asset source. Don't shoot him down on it...

Makes you kind of a buzkill, sorry. 

I didn't shoot him down lol, I guess you missed to joke I made about letting the character artists actually keep their jobs (you know, since that would make them irrelevant). Photogrammetry is cool yo, fun stuff to mess around with on every day objects especially with soft materials that react easily like clothing.

So noobie question but how do you go from those models to an animated character that can run, jump, twist, etc? I'm sure it's way more complicated than just putting joints in like. GI joe action figure

So noobie question but how do you go from those models to an animated character that can run, jump, twist, etc? I'm sure it's way more complicated than just putting joints in like. GI joe action figure

Hours and hours and hours of skilled artist time, blood sweat and tears across several diciplines, so that one day some random guy on the internet can tell us that the jacket should have 4 buttons instead of 3 lol

To answer your question - pretty much what assifuah said.

So to put it simply... you would need to create a low poly mesh (basically the 3d model you see in-game) and then transfer all of those details onto it by "baking" them.

The goal is something like this:

74cfd4c85b.jpg

After you baked the high poly detail onto the low poly you can just texture it through whatever means.. Photoshop, Quixel Suite, Substance Designer / Painter, 3DCoat.. whatever you want. Getting the character animated requires it to be rigged so the animations can be used on it. Each character will have a skeleton for animation purposes (you don't see this in-game) and then the character will need to be weighted / skinned.

Since all of the characters in Squad are human and are just generic soldiers with no large anatomical differences it means they would most likely use the same rig set up. Once your character is rigged you can just basically "play" animations on him and he will do them as long as his rig is set up the same way the animation file was. Honestly, I don't like character animation so I may have missed some information that someone more experienced could chime in with. I'll stick to props and environments. :P

Hope that helps you understand!

edit: not to mention hours of crying and fixing issues which comes with everything.

Thanks for the explanation Assifuah. At the very least I now understand this baking process. And all this time, I thought someone was making cupcakes

And thank you too Z-Trooper!

Hours and hours and hours of skilled artist time, blood sweat and tears across several diciplines, so that one day some random guy on the internet can tell us that the jacket should have 4 buttons instead of 3 lol

Didnt get that...

Um forget it )

Dude that i was mentioned before said that you have already spoke with Digital Forms?

Well? How did everything go? Will we see some scanned soldiers in the future? :)

Fuckin right Z, you're all shit and these dudes need to be hired. :lol:

Don't you love it when you're hard work gets criticized? 

Fuckin right Z, you're all shit and these dudes need to be hired. :lol:

Don't you love it when you're hard work gets criticized? 

Honestly, the character work that has been done for this game is already on par with most AAA games. It looks great and every model I've seen so far is stunning.

Well yeah they have some problems but overall this models are pretty descent. Especially i like militia models.