DesmoLocke

V8 Optimization

With the target date for the next major update being in early November (Great birthday gift! Thanks devs!), people are wondering what the team is working on. I don't know the ins and outs, but the one word that comes up is "optimization". So what is it exactly?

PC Gamer wrote an article recently explaining just that.

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-optimization-really-means-in-games/

It's definitely worth the read. What did I take away from the reading? Basically programmers are gods. :) 

xKJhGSV.jpg

awNvhjk.jpg

Happy with this approach. I feel that after introduction of vehicles and basic logistics the devs have given us enough toys to play around with to keep us busy while they work on optimization. I sincerely hope that the optimization gains will not need to be re-done once new functionality appears in the game, as to me that would be a wasted effort. I'm sure the devs will balance this out and leave some things for optimization later. Good luck on the optimization journey.

8 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

mnxywsf.jpg

wait? what? v8 is beginning of beta? Did you conclude that by yourself or it was mentioned by devs somewhere? I tough v8 is "just" one of the optimization efforts done in alpha and there are still much more features to be done?

Retail release date, is it still in the same time period you mention 8 months ago? :D

Edited by Dundish

35 minutes ago, Disco said:

wait? what? v8 is beginning of beta? Did you conclude that by yourself or it was mentioned by devs somewhere? I tough v8 is "just" one of the optimization efforts done in alpha and there are still much more features to be done?

From what IrOnTaXi recently stated, Beta 1 will be following v8...in a response to a question concerning custom maps.

"I believe the first iteration will be during Beta 1 which is the release after this coming release. So hopefully around the end of the year."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/393380/discussions/0/350542145701596468/

The "Game is mostly feature complete" next to the Beta scares me :( 

Edited by MultiSquid

1 hour ago, MultiSquid said:

The "Game is mostly feature complete" next to the Beta scares me :( 

Nothing to be scared about. It's normal in game development that beta = feature complete. 

39 minutes ago, Melbo said:

Nothing to be scared about. It's normal in game development that beta = feature complete. 

Yeah I have no idea why that would scare someone ??? o.O

How can we be going into beta when the game is not even close to being done? We still need tanks, helicopters, British, fast ropes, urban environments, possibly jets and planes, heavy weapons/classes, more maps, fob anti air and tank stuff, True Sky, and etc.

Edited by WarEagle751

My guess is it will take more than just another release after v8, as there is a few critical features still missing, like... Helicopters!!! Now seriously: animation refactoring with vaulting and other actions to be added and revamped, dragging bodies, mortars, tracked vehicles, drowning and amphibious vehicles, commander, fireteams... Can't see how they could add all these in just 2 more alpha releases.

59 minutes ago, Melbo said:

I'm not scared about game not being complete when beta rolls out, what scares me are people talking about beta when the game game isn't anywhere near completion.

1 hour ago, MultiSquid said:

I'm not scared about game not being complete when beta rolls out, what scares me are people talking about beta when the game game isn't anywhere near completion.

I agree, the prospect of the Devs deeming this game to be "feature complete" by the end of this year is quite scary.

(As in, I'm sure a lot of people expect loads more "features" before it'll be anywhere near "feature complete")

Edit:

7 minutes ago, CageMatchKimsey said:

Z-trooper has said 2 more years of development in the past, and that was this time or so last year.

I also remember that, and I also remember thinking: "That won't be nearly enough time to get this game to where it needs to be."

Now, a year later that still stands.

Edited by DonDOOM

I can't wait till I can employ the full arsenal of Arnie-isms with the game.  Z-trooper has said 2 more years of development in the past, and that was this time or so last year.

http://www.ranker.com/list/arnie-isms-funny-arnold-schwarzenegger-quotes/notable-quotables?&var=3

Edited by CageMatchKimsey
Shortened link

1 hour ago, Zenrique said:

My guess is it will take more than just another release after v8, as there is a few critical features still missing, like... Helicopters!!! Now seriously: animation refactoring with vaulting and other actions to be added and revamped, dragging bodies, mortars, tracked vehicles, drowning and amphibious vehicles, commander, fireteams... Can't see how they could add all these in just 2 more alpha releases.

Two possibilities, it doesn't go into beta until those things are in. Or we end out getting sold a game that has more than half of the functions promised missing. Only time will tell. Goodluck to the consumers on this one.

Hi, I'm new here, but is there going to be suppressors and special forces added in this beta 1 ?

Lol, over 1k posts. 

12 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

Hi, I'm new here, but is there going to be suppressors and special forces added in this beta 1 ?

I'd be happy if someone official would clarify this. I don't want this game to be feature complete even if they doubled the current features. There is basically nothing compared to pr.

of course it can't be that much without mods, but there must be more than this?

9 minutes ago, grimshadow said:

Lol, over 1k posts. 

I've been around for a week only, I swear!

5 hours ago, SSIXS said:

From what IrOnTaXi recently stated, Beta 1 will be following v8...in a response to a question concerning custom maps.

"I believe the first iteration will be during Beta 1 which is the release after this coming release. So hopefully around the end of the year."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/393380/discussions/0/350542145701596468/

Hm... someone could easily jump to conclusions here, like: so v8 is not about new content nor new features and Beta1 is next... so, that's it?  Let's hope it's not the case...

It would be nice to see what features are left to be done from devs point of view.

Edited by Disco

There should be at least 6 months for beta.. there are still more contents not placed in game promised at beginning of this project and monthly recaps. Beta means game is close to the full release..

Edited by Togisan