Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishMan

IKinema for UE4

27 posts in this topic

Neat. Solves 1 of 2 criticisms I have with prone right now. Just needs a proper prone animation while moving (no more spinning). :)

this looks so good, hope something like this will make it into the game!

only the quick turning when in prone must be eliminated, it looks so wrong

Like how guy hugs terrain....but when guy moves....shouldnt he crawl with his hands and legs moving back and forth instead of move around ground like magic?

looks awesome but also pretty simple idea. lots of animation there, or is it just Relaxing the skeleton? hope it don't break the game if implimented.

5 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Like how guy hugs terrain....but when guy moves....shouldnt he crawl with his hands and legs moving back and forth instead of move around ground like magic?

It's a tech demo, so they wanted to show how it dynamically adjusts the pose while the character slides over the different deformations in the terrain.

This stuff looks pretty amazing, i would like to see this in the future of Squad if it's possible ^^

8 hours ago, XRobinson said:

That's because it's a tech demo as @Psyrus already stated, there is no crawl animation (this is the thing you're talking about, an animation of how the character "should" behave when crawling). The demo is only about how the body aligns with the ground and slides along with it dynamically. And for the fact that there is no animation, this is pretty amazing stuff.

This would be so neat. Makes the game even more immersive. And what fatalsushi says should also be considered, since right now the game needs optimisation first (have to say, since patch 7.5 my lowest FPS increased at least 10 FPS). However, the thing I miss the most in all the shooters I play is the free look. OFP and ArmA did this so incredibly good that I almost can't do without it. Also makes snipers an incredible amount more stealth (scanning your environment while moving only your head/rifle/binos instead of using your whole body).

Hey all, 

Sorry to intrude. I work at IKinema and noticed this thread, it's pretty awesome reading some of the comments in here. I thought it might be worthwhile to pop my head in to say Hi and answer some questions.

On 22/09/2016 at 2:13 AM, LaughingJack said:

looks awesome but also pretty simple idea. lots of animation there, or is it just Relaxing the skeleton? hope it don't break the game if implimented.

Our plugin is a full body IK (Inverse Kinematic) solver. The solver is used to procedurally generate and modify existing animations based on where the user wants particular parts of the character to be. Our demo video/pack is full of use-cases and examples if anyone wants to try it out in Unreal. Found here.

As @Psyrus and @invisible.nin/SINE pointed out this is a tech demo. The only asset we used was a static prone pose included in the Unreal Starter content. Our solver is responsible for spitting out the modified poses (generated in real time for the FULL BODY ^^ ) that adapt the animation to the ground dynamically. If you are interested in taking a look at how to set something like this up, we made a tutorial recently found here. It's a pretty quick set up and only uses a single node in Unreal. 

On 22/09/2016 at 8:18 AM, fatalsushi said:

How hardware intensive is this?

I took a screen shot with a performance index from one of our maps that contained a number of characters with some complex behaviour. The solving is around 2ms for the entire 10 character [email protected] with a GTX 960/i7-6700 set up: http://imgur.com/a/DN4in

A more dramatic example is this video which was packed with characters that needed a great deal of solving. Even here it only goes up to ~7ms and it was on an older rig (specs escape me at the moment).

If you guys have any questions or anything feel free to ask. 

Edited by SimonIKinema

3 hours ago, SimonIKinema said:

Hey all, 

Hey, nice to hear from someone who works with the tool.

Would be also great to hear from OWI devs if there is any possibility of using this on Squad as it seems aligned with the planned animation refactoring, seems this would be the right time to add it.

well @SimonIKinema, even for a tech demo it looks great even without animations for crawling etc. fitted in. <thumbs-up>

" A more dramatic example is this video " - compound bows, Devs? . . . no? ah well, a bloke can only ask ;)

I don´t want to talk the devs into implementing this - I Just want to know if they have seen this topic ;)

and if they did, they will probably be in touch with @SimonIKinema allready :)

Just looked through some more of their YT videos, it would be crazy not to drop this in.  You just put this into the animation pipeline already in place.

Imagining automatically stepping over a log or any low object... that animation looked awesome.

Edited by Carlos

not sure if its related to the IKinema stuffs but quite a while ago i saw something similar that allowed automated solving for "ragdoll"(skeletal animated?) characters. it allowed for pushing/shoving, tripping, stumbling, and dealing with objects colliding with the character and kept the character on its feet as much as it was able - eerily realistic. that would also be cool.

Edited by LaughingJack