Pvt. Lewis

Sniper rifle damage.

The damage for most of the weapons is spot on.  However I agree with those who say the svd and US sniper rifle should have one hit for chest (heart)?/ upper back shots. Right now there just really isn't enough to show the power difference between the sniper rifles and other rifles. As it is now, you can svd someone in this chest and they still can sprint to safety.   I really hope this can be considered. 

bilsantu   

Compared with assault rifles, how better are their muzzle velocity and muzzle energy values anyway? AK-74 has better muzzle velocity than SVD for example, does MV value necessarily increase ME value?

I think @SgtRoss or @Melbo would be the best clarify this issue.

Rybec   

One of the devs explained why it wasn't a one hit kill, was it Ztrooper? Can't remember.

If you can hit them with a followup shot, fantastic. You got them.

If you hit them and can't follow up, they have to stop to bandage or they will die in a few seconds.

I can agree with that since you'll run into marksman rifles somewhat often and dying to a single hit while the rest of the firearms take 2-3 is a bit undesirable.

Maybe when/if we get to the point where you have PR-like snipers it would be more reasonable but even then I'd be fine with those being two shot for torso.

I actually was thinking irontaxi would have some insight on the issue. He seems to be very interested in discussing such matters. I'm sure the svd should reflect its greater velocity and size over 5.56. As is, it doesn't really feel much stronger, both are two hit kills. 

i ve never look at it in that way and it makes sense. I agree it should be fair. 1 shoot is lethal unless the target bandage himself in few sec or a medic is just nearby to fix you up... Nice! 

If they ever implement a PR-style sniper class (with a bolt-action rifle) I'd expect that to be 1hk to the upper torso at almost any range. The SVD/M110 with a 2hk to the chest is perfectly fine. It does enough damage to a player that they need to find a medic immediately. Otherwise next time they sneeze they'll drop dead.

Right now shooting rapidly in semi auto with an LMG while prone is more effective than anything imo because there is hardly any recoil between shots. DMR has no advantage except for the scope making it easier to spot targets. Ironically the scoped Russian RPK is the most effective "DMR" right now.

What DMRs need is automatic realignment of sights like all of the other rifles have, and very low recoil when prone similar what you have with LMGs to simulate bipods. That woukd allow you to fire more rapidly and actually give you a chance of taking down targets at long range...right now they just run, take cover, and patch before you can hit them with a second shot because the reticle jumps so far up and doesnt come back down automatically. This is one of the most puzzling inconsistencies imo because all other rifles readjust automatically.

Edited by fatalsushi

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

I have been wanting them to add PENALTIES for being shot...

-Increased weapon sway (Less accurate)

-Sprint / walk speed is reduced

etc

Penalties have been confirmed by Z-Trooper, just no ETA.

Rybec   
14 hours ago, Cheesy_LeScrub said:

If they ever implement a PR-style sniper class (with a bolt-action rifle) I'd expect that to be 1hk to the upper torso at almost any range.

Going to disagree on that one.

I'd expect more magnification than a DMR but chances are they're still going to be rifles that are the same caliber as the DMRs. Give them some sort of spotting scope or a partner class with a spotting scope and have him do the same damage but with more utility.

3 hours ago, Rybec said:

Going to disagree on that one.

I'd expect more magnification than a DMR but chances are they're still going to be rifles that are the same caliber as the DMRs. Give them some sort of spotting scope or a partner class with a spotting scope and have him do the same damage but with more utility.

Fair call. It's too early to see how it would play out anyway. I can see where 1hk might become an issue. But AFAIK it works that way in PR and there doesn't seem to be too many problems with it. Mainly because actually using the rifle requires a bit of skill.

I don't see why it would be anything other than a one hit chest/head kill with the SVD.  The 7n1 special SVD 7.62x54r load had a 10g bullet weight and it's leaving the barrel at 2700 feet a second.  There's not a issued rifle trauma plate in the world that could stand up to the AP specialty 7N13 round, and those kevlar helmets are not good for any more protection than a .357....

Dubs   
24 minutes ago, Jeffnasty said:

I don't see why it would be anything other than a one hit chest/head kill with the SVD.  The 7n1 special SVD 7.62x54r load had a 10g bullet weight and it's leaving the barrel at 2700 feet a second.  There's not a issued rifle trauma plate in the world that could stand up to the AP specialty 7N13 round, and those kevlar helmets are not good for any more protection than a .357....

Because balance and teamwork. The SVD is in the role of a Marksman rifle in the game, not in the role of Sniper. Throw in 1 shot kills, from a torso shot ,and it in entices hill side camping and not functioning as a SDM(Squad Designated Marksman).

SVD damage over distance is the highest I believe out of all rifles currently. 1 shot basically is death, really quick if you don't bandage relatively quickly. The damage curve over distance, is a lot higher compared to the M4's and AKM's etc With M4's and AKM's, 2 - 3 shots at a distance before you need to start thinking about pulling your bandage out.

Gameplay > realism.

4 minutes ago, Dubs said:

Because balance and teamwork. The SVD is in the role of a Marksman rifle in the game, not in the role of Sniper. Throw in 1 shot kills, from a torso shot ,and it in entices hill side camping and not functioning as a SDM(Squad Designated Marksman).

SVD damage over distance is the highest I believe out of all rifles currently. 1 shot basically is death, really quick if you don't bandage relatively quickly. The damage curve over distance, is a lot higher compared to the M4's and AKM's etc With M4's and AKM's, 2 - 3 shots at a distance before you need to start thinking about pulling your bandage out.

Gameplay > realism.

You say gameplay over realism but the SVD is nearly useless at long range, especially when compared to the scoped or even unscoped RPK. You may hit a guy but he'll just get cover, bandage, and if there's a medic, get healed. 

Edited by fatalsushi

4 minutes ago, Dubs said:

Gameplay > realism.

But but butttt didn't this game spawn from Project Reality?  :P

I know it's a SDM rifle, and should be used as such, but would it really ruin gameplay to have accurate damages and ballistics?

Dubs   
3 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

You say gameplay over realism but the SVD is nearly useless at long range, especially when compared to the scoped or even unscoped RPK. You may hit a guy but he'll just get cover, bandage, and if there's a medic, get healed. 

Only issue with the SVD marksman in my eyes, is the optic is a little off and needs more magazines.

If you hit a guy in the torso at mid - long range with the SVD, he's literally on like 10% - 15% hp. Everything isn't about kills, if you get a good hit on that one guy, he's out of the fight until he bandages(Which he needs to do quickly), then he's flat out dead if he gets shot again, doesn't matter if M9, Makarov, M4, AKM. He dies in the next hit, until he gets a medic to patch his boo boo.

3 hours ago, Jeffnasty said:

But but butttt didn't this game spawn from Project Reality?  :P

I know it's a SDM rifle, and should be used as such, but would it really ruin gameplay to have accurate damages and ballistics?

Its the successor to project reality. From my understanding, the damage curve is realistic to some degree with different rounds being more powerful over distance compared to others, along with weapon characteristics taken into consideration as-well. There was a Sgt Ross(Dev) response a few months back about it.

ZiGreen   

Rifle rounds have different damage values. You need only two hits doesn;t matter where they were placed on player's model. With addition of hit penalties, it would be much harder to survive rifle fire.

I am talking not about continuous penalties (people here talk about sway so much it looks like they have "to down a glass of whisky" binded on every button), but about knocking effect of single bullet. Even if you can retrieve some degree of combat effectiveness after being shot by 5,56 or 5,45, rifle bullet will shock you really heard on greater distances and won't let you ignore injures as players do now.

16 hours ago, Jeffnasty said:

I agree. And I believe it's much more fun and realistic for gameplay to have svd and other type rifles do one hit torso damage. Right now svd really doesn't feel much stronger than anything else. 

Unlike what dubs said, I mainly see people get hit with svd and immediately 180 prone dive and spray lead. Nothing realistic or fun about that, it's just frustrating. 

1 hit torso kills with a semi-automatic rifle are not the kind if gameplay change you want. Nor is it the kind you'll get, I hope. It would just make the game extremely frustrating with the amount of designated marksmen we currently have. There isn't a squad without a marksman, ever (unless I'm leading it, in that case the first guy taking marksman gets immediately demoted to a rifleman for the remainder of the round, cause I'm evil like that). If you want 1 hit kills, just wait for the sniper kit which should be implemented some long time from now (towards the very end of the development).

Some people need to get it through their heads, if nothing else works, try this mantra every day before going to sleep: "Realism isn't fun. Squad isn't a simulator." repeat 20-30 times each night and really focus on what these words mean, results are guaranteed within a week.

Edited by MultiSquid

Rybec   
1 hour ago, MultiSquid said:

There isn't a squad without a marksman, ever (unless I'm leading it, in that case the first guy taking marksman gets immediately demoted to a rifleman for the remainder of the round, cause I'm evil like that)

You're far too lenient. Medic duty.

Lethargo   

2 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

There isn't a squad without a marksman, ever (unless I'm leading it, in that case the first guy taking marksman gets immediately demoted to a rifleman for the remainder of the round, cause I'm evil like that).

Wait you can do that? Like, assign kits?!

Or do you mean verbally demoted and if he won't comply, kicked off?

Edited by Lethargo

Rybec   
4 hours ago, Lethargo said:

Or do you mean verbally demoted and if he won't comply, kicked off?

That.

If people are insistent in either taking a marksman kit and walking off doing their own thing or picking marksman before the medic slots are filled I do not care what they think and I get people to fill the medic before anything else.

21 hours ago, Dubs said:

Only issue with the SVD marksman in my eyes, is the optic is a little off and needs more magazines.

If you hit a guy in the torso at mid - long range with the SVD, he's literally on like 10% - 15% hp. Everything isn't about kills, if you get a good hit on that one guy, he's out of the fight until he bandages(Which he needs to do quickly), then he's flat out dead if he gets shot again, doesn't matter if M9, Makarov, M4, AKM. He dies in the next hit, until he gets a medic to patch his boo boo.

Or if you have an LMG you can just kill him right there on the spot, along with his teammates. My point is that the LMG is superior in every way, especially the scoped RPK. It's good for all ranges, including CQB and long range, has semi- and full-auto, has more than 3 times the mag capacity, negligible recoil in single shot when prone). It outperforms the DMR in what the DMR is supposed to do best, and it's effective in other roles as well. I'm not saying LMGs are overpowered, just that DMRs need a buff.

Edited by fatalsushi

Gews   
On 9/15/2016 at 7:57 PM, Jeffnasty said:

There's not a issued rifle trauma plate in the world that could stand up to the AP specialty 7N13 round, and those kevlar helmets are not good for any more protection than a .357....

There are plenty that can stand up to that. Multiple standard Russian armor (with plates) is rated to stop 7N13 at 100 m. 6B4X with Granite-6 plates stops it at only 10 m. Can SAPI/ESAPI? Don't know, but that is rated to stop .30-06 black tip AP at close range. And note that 7N13 will lose ~30% of its energy at only 200 m.

(but then again, we do not have functional body armor in Squad)

Edited by Gews