Jump to content
American Outlaw

Iron Mountain [WIP]

Recommended Posts

Another progress update... I have been updating alot of areas and doing some fine tuning etc.. while I wait for the city buildings to be fully released so I can begin working on a proper huge city area to go along with all the rural areas. I have also been working on a 100% hand built Fort. It is a 3 story Fort with tons of indoor rooms and a large rooftop area for defending. Also, I have completed the Marshland Underground Bunker area.  All pics taken are In-Editor..

 

29xuntx.jpg

 

2myb0xc.jpg

 

2j87sp.jpg

 

15wij5s.jpg

 

fmrozs.jpg

 

zv9cee.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the train station going to be militia main, replacing the big warehouse in PR? Because I'd rather see it at the center of a small town that's being fought over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice map! Looking forward to play it.

 

2 small things i noticed.

1 I think you should make the traintracks split into 2 tracks near the station. I have never seen a station with only one track and platforms on both sides of trains.

 

2 That castle thing looks a little strage. I am assuming that you are still working on it. It looks way too clean (3 boxes made of 100% strait walls). Also think you need to add some pillars under the floor/stairs on second last picture.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just keeps getting better! Love it! Especially the train station. The signals (are they signals? I dont know anything about railroads :D ) seem to be a bit low for a train to fit through,though. But maybe thats just me. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That marshland is really well done!

 

A pet peeve of mine with mapping is how logical assets are, things like, does it make sense to have a town here? Why would someone (IRL) spend a ton of time and money to build XYZ and where's the infrastructure to support it? Where would the people live, go to school, shop, commute to and from? Parking for the fort?

 

Which brings me to the nice train station. It's really nice, but it's set up to accommodate hundreds of commuters in the middle of nowhere. The train station is bigger than the town. It's just out of place in a small village.

 

If you've ever been around any storage tank farms, they level the ground and place them all in tidy formation to minimize the maintenance around them as well as the plumbing connecting them to the rest of the world. They don't place them here and there.

 

Feel free to ignore me, its your map and I look forward to playing it however you decide to make it.

Edited by LugNut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2016 at 2:51 AM, Romby said:

Really nice map! Looking forward to play it.

 

2 small things i noticed.

1 I think you should make the traintracks split into 2 tracks near the station. I have never seen a station with only one track and platforms on both sides of trains.

 

2 That castle thing looks a little strage. I am assuming that you are still working on it. It looks way too clean (3 boxes made of 100% strait walls). Also think you need to add some pillars under the floor/stairs on second last picture.

 

 

 

(1) The way everything is laid out it would be alot of work to re-do this area but im sure the tracks split off the map so that trains can come and go in both directions ;)

(2) Yea im still working on it but alot of forts are square based because it makes it easier to defend due to line of sight and fewer breach points to defend than a fort with tons of angles etc...

 

On 11/18/2016 at 2:29 AM, Frontliner said:

Is the train station going to be militia main, replacing the big warehouse in PR? Because I'd rather see it at the center of a small town that's being fought over.

 

The train station is the last capture point for probably Milita before the large city area flag. The Militia main will be a farm like area fyi...

 

On 11/18/2016 at 7:56 AM, .Bole said:

It really looks awesome,but i think its resource heavy?

 

I will perform alot of testing and will need help testing in the future to make sure fps hopefully isnt an issue...

 

8 hours ago, LugNut said:

That marshland is really well done!

 

A pet peeve of mine with mapping is how logical assets are, things like, does it make sense to have a town here? Why would someone (IRL) spend a ton of time and money to build XYZ and where's the infrastructure to support it? Where would the people live, go to school, shop, commute to and from? Parking for the fort?

 

Which brings me to the nice train station. It's really nice, but it's set up to accommodate hundreds of commuters in the middle of nowhere. The train station is bigger than the town. It's just out of place in a small village.

 

If you've ever been around any storage tank farms, they level the ground and place them all in tidy formation to minimize the maintenance around them as well as the plumbing connecting them to the rest of the world. They don't place them here and there.

 

Feel free to ignore me, its your map and I look forward to playing it however you decide to make it.

 

(1) The fort will have parking area in front near the fortified entrance and area for vehicles inside fortified walls.

(2) The buildings around the train station isnt meant to be a village, its supposed to represent things like shops, ticket and waiting area etc since SQUAD doesnt have proper shop buildings and such. The buildings also add alot of value to the area from a capture/defend standpoint and gameplay is most important to me and such sometimes gameplay will be more important in an area to me than trying to be 100% accurate in representing IRL though I do my best to balance both.

(3) The storage tanks arent randomly placed as it may seem from the screenshots. They are all strategically placed beside the huge ravine/river that you cant see in the pic. As in my former map "Iron Ridge" I had water intake pipes leading from the river into tanks like these. These tanks have pipes also leading into the water meant to represent water being drawn from the river into the tanks and possibly being used for nefarious purposes of a corrupt regime such as nuclear cooling etc.. that I will leave up to the player to draw thier on conclusions from the map :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, American Outlaw said:

 

(1) The way everything is laid out it would be alot of work to re-do this area but im sure the tracks split off the map so that trains can come and go in both directions ;)

(2) Yea im still working on it but alot of forts are square based because it makes it easier to defend due to line of sight and fewer breach points to defend than a fort with tons of angles etc...

I think you misunderstood me. Didn't mean that the fort shouldnt be square. I meant that it looks to clean. I know it has a couple of holes and broken parts of the walls. But somehow it just looks a little wrong. Some parts of wall is broken and other parts looks perfect (like they were build yesterday). I dont know if you can change the colour to make walls look more worn out of perhaps make the corners look less perfect.

 

And just to be clear. The map looks awesome! Just wanted to give the few small commets that came to mind when looking at the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2016 at 8:28 PM, American Outlaw said:

These tanks have pipes also leading into the water meant to represent water being drawn from the river into the tanks and possibly being used for nefarious purposes of a corrupt regime such as nuclear cooling etc.. that I will leave up to the player to draw thier on conclusions from the map :) 

1

 

Oh, the underground lair of the evil mad scientist bent on world domination. I get it now. xD

 

Carry on, I look forward to playing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great, the forest parts look really realistic. Keep going at it!

Edited by CHRIS//

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×