American Outlaw

Iron Mountain [WIP]

I am currently working on the Big Brother to my Project Reality map "Iron Ridge". This map takes ideas from Iron Ridge such as a massive rock lined ravine running the entire map with various bridge crossings and a huge multi entrance underground bunker. This map will be 100% hand sculpted and every area layed out to maximize strategic flag capture, defense and attack postions and a large city/industrial area divided by a small river with Railroad and multi bridge crossings, making this location vital to controlling the flag like in the original BF2 map "Strike at Karkand". Here are a few very early in Editor work in progress screenshots...

2mqvpsh.jpg

15d2jk6.jpg

149o714.jpg

Edited by American Outlaw

Woohoo! Nice job man, good to see a map that's hand sculpted for a full gameplay design perspective, something different I guess. 

Looking good from the screenies, keep us posted pls! :D

A few more In-Editor Pics... Very WIP... Waiting on more of the Eastern European assets to become available, especially the city buildings since a large city area will be an important part of the map...  

oksh13.jpg

16m4vn4.jpg

szak43.jpg

2epof7n.jpg

That first pic is really cool! Great looking map! Can't wait to play few rounds there :) 

Oh, man that is really nice looking map there. Waiting to get some rounds on it.

Only thing I notice that I do not like is that big rock cake behind the bunker in the last picture. It looks too much a thing made with repeat brush and since not natural.

I also makes be time trip way back to some JointOps maps, with these logistic centers and oiltanks. :)

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Looks awesome! Extremely natural too, it seems more believeable than almost any Squad map right now IMO. (apart from the rock in the last photos where i agree with WARti0k0ne)

44 minutes ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

Oh, man that is really nice looking map there. Waiting to get some rounds on it.

Only thing I notice that I do not like is that big rock cake behind the bunker in the last picture. It looks too much a thing made with repeat brush and since not natural.

I also makes be time trip way back to some JointOps maps, with these logistic centers and oiltanks. :)

6 minutes ago, Gorzu said:

Looks awesome! Extremely natural too, it seems more believeable than almost any Squad map right now IMO. (apart from the rock in the last photos where i agree with WARti0k0ne)

Thanks for the feedback.. As far as the rocks go, (1) It is meant to represent man-made boulder protection for the underground bunker from potential aerial bombardment as were natural rock protected bunkers in WW1 and WW2 although those were built into mountains etc... (2) Given the limitations of current assets available to work with in the editor, making a true natural rock protected bunker built into the side of a mountain is impossible. So as a compromise I hand placed every rock above the underground bunker to best represent as close to a WW1 or WW2 bunker as possible given the limitations/assets within squad at the moment. A true representation of said bunker would take tons of work from a modder and im sure they have more important things to worry about than :)  

18 hours ago, American Outlaw said:

making a true natural rock protected bunker built into the side of a mountain is impossible. 

Uhhm, you have heard about hole materials right?

1 hour ago, Zeno965 said:

Uhhm, you have heard about hole materials right?

Yes as a matter of fact I have been playing around with it today so maybe if I can get it to work the way I want it too it may be a solution but read it has downside of causing issues with performance... 

10 minutes ago, American Outlaw said:

Yes as a matter of fact I have been playing around with it today so maybe if I can get it to work the way I want it too it may be a solution but read it has downside of causing issues with performance... 

I dunno, that's what Fool's Road uses and given all the trees and other stuff it seems to be alright. IronTaxi might know for sure.

This is supposed to be a remake of Iron Ridge to an extent, right? Damn I'd love to see this. Good luck to you :)

8 minutes ago, Ratface said:

I dunno, that's what Fool's Road uses and given all the trees and other stuff it seems to be alright. IronTaxi might know for sure.

This is supposed to be a remake of Iron Ridge to an extent, right? Damn I'd love to see this. Good luck to you :)

Thanks, I sent Zeno a message about possible performance hit in game etc... Don't want to put to much time and effort into it if it's gonna cause issues... I wouldn't really call this a remake of Iron Ridge but more of a makeover, basicly taking all the ideas of Iron Ridge such as huge ravine, underground bunker and large city and improving on the whole map hopefully lol.... 

56 minutes ago, American Outlaw said:

Thanks, I sent Zeno a message about possible performance hit in game etc... Don't want to put to much time and effort into it if it's gonna cause issues... I wouldn't really call this a remake of Iron Ridge but more of a makeover, basicly taking all the ideas of Iron Ridge such as huge ravine, underground bunker and large city and improving on the whole map hopefully lol.... 

hell yeah, the bigger the better!

Thanks to some great constructive criticism and me being a noob with the UE4 Editor and not knowing about hole materials :/

, I have completely re-worked the underground bunker area and removed the massive rock cake and made a proper looking underground bunker... 

Views looking at the old rock cake bunker area, bunker now blends in with the environment..

jzcs2r.jpg

2rqc32g.jpg

View at Bunker Entrance 1

35a93qe.jpg

Bunker Entrance 2

e662jm.jpg

The way you're doing the woods and grassy areas is very convincing. Looking forward to the bunker as well! I love the crazy bunker combat in PR