Mycelus

Honest Opinions - Was the game better in v6?

Which was better, v6 or v7?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Did you enjoy v6 more than v7?

• I enjoy v7 more than v6 in it's current state. v7 is more tactical.
    • v7 was rushed out, and the game is less enjoyable than v6 was.

Hey everyone. So I don't post here too often, but this is a topic I wanted to hear people's honest thoughts and opinions on. Before you read any further, this is not a hate or rant thread. I am trying to gather honest opinions on what the regulars in Squad think.

In my opinion, v7 has made the game less fun, and by a lot. Between the crashing, performance decrease, and gameplay changes, and even with the addition of vehicles, I feel like the game is much less playable and enjoyable.

Before anyone says it's Alpha and that the bugs will be fixed, I know. We all know. My real complaint here is with how v7 was rolled out in such a broken state, along with trying to understand how vehicles were meant to enhance the gameplay. That is why they were added I would imagine, to make the game less fun and more tactical.

Since the addition of vehicles, it seems Squads no longer stay together. Squad leaders waste a ton of time trying to claim vehicles either at base or remotely from somewhere else. Vehicles seem to have little to no effect even when manned by good veteran crews. In fact, none of the maps even seem to be designed for vehicles, even Yehorivka. Vehicles feel like more of a burden not on just the team, but the gameplay overall. Dare I say, the game is funner with infantry only maps and more tactical than it is with vehicles. Again, NONE of this is because of "noobs" or "new players."

Since v7, my time ingame has been decreased DRAMATICALLY. Once you get past the constant crashing, unplayable performance (I get 25-30 FPS with a GTX 1070), and the other quality of life issues such as lack of server browser etc. the game feels so fragmented and disorienting. Squads have difficulty staying together. Vehicles are a burden on the gameplay. Vehicles seem to have no real effect on the outcome of the match, and most rounds end with a 200-400 ticket difference. Games aren't being "turned around" with more tickets. The discrepancy is higher than it was ever before. Most rounds end with a team getting only 60-100 kills, despite the fact that there are 600 tickets.

There's a lot to be said, but I don't want to drag this post on. So I've created a poll, and I want to hear your honest thoughts on v7.

Questions:

1) Was the patch rolled out responsibly by OWI with the amount of crashes and performance decrease?

2) Were vehicles rushed to please the userbase, rather than making sure they had a real tactical effect on gameplay?

3) How have the new FOB system and claim system affected the TACTICAL feel of the game? 

Edited by Mycelus

1) can't REALLY say anyting about that

2) absolutely agree, I predicted in many of my posts that vehicles would bring only chaos and that it was generally too early for a

vehicle release as the main infantry gameplay and the game itself were far away from delivering a good/balanced game experience.

3) even though the maps in SQUAD are HUGE they feel less bigger with vehicles now, it's really easy to get from A to B where in the non vehicle versions of the game

it was actually pretty hard, sometimes you really had to fight your way through enemy lines to get to a certain pint which was insanely intense gameplay wise, really liked that. the new FOB system is clearly too overcharging for most of the players, it really does not work out that well imho.

i am still having high hopes for this game as the dev's showed at least some interest in making this game better.

for me that new animation system everybody is talking about along with perfomance improvements will be the main think to look at,

if this does not work out i'm done with SQUAD.

1. I believe there were posts by testers and devs saying that they didn't experience lower frames and repeated crashes during testing. If they had, their QA department wouldn't have OKed the release. The devs know better than to release broken updates but for some reason these issues showed up only after release. It sounds strange but it's what happened.

2. I agree that most maps aren't designed for vehicles (they are designed for ambushing vehicles, Fool's Road and Chora being good exampes) but vehicles have added a whole new dimension to the game. As someone who likes to Squad lead, having to manage both the infantry and the vehicles adds depth to the game and provides many more strategic options (you can do massive flanks and sneaky fobs behind enemy lines now because vehicles give you mobility). It's also really exciting and satisfying when vehicles and infantry work well together. You need good players to do that but when it works, it's absolutely amazing. Also, I believe there are a few infantry only servers.

3. If we didn't have the claim system, trolls and lone-wolves would be wasting the vehicles. It's cumbersome but without active admins, I think it's the only way to keep things under control. Also, I like the new FOB system.

All in all, I really like the direction Squad is going in. The vehicles, the slower infantry acceleration speed, the new weapons...I love it all. I can understand that people with bad frames and constant crashes are irritated but for me it's all pretty stable.

Edited by fatalsushi

Everything is still WIP. How many versions did it take for infantry to reach a good state? Yes, six and there still are features and improvements missing just on that part. And the same is expected for every complex feature, it won't be all ready and done in one interaction. Don't judge alpha releases as if they were final.

1 hour ago, Mycelus said:

1) Was the patch rolled out responsibly by OWI with the amount of crashes and performance decrease?

They did a closed development branch test, it seemed fine, they released it to the next stage of testing (us). That's normal and perfectly "responsible". That's what we are, testers that have prepaid for the final game. 

2) Were vehicles rushed to please the userbase, rather than making sure they had a real tactical effect on gameplay?

The vehicles are an integral part of squad's design and "mission", and without large scale testing they can't know how the new netmove system holds up. So that's why we, the mass testers are experiencing this rough "first-implementation" of the vehicles. 

3) How have the new FOB system and claim system affected the TACTICAL feel of the game?

New fob system is fantastic, but I would like it to be far more restrictive. I think similar to PR where fob deployment is properly dependent on logistics would be ideal, but squad players need a little more hand holding and after we get the logistics trucks/helicopters in a state where they are a bit more accessible (the SL+2 members thing really hinders the logi stuff) it will strike a perfect balance. 

1. No. They put in a lot of effort before hand and some problems become visible with mass deployment.

2. No. It is a problem with the players not the vehicles themselves. We are going to need to learn how to use them, sooner is better than later.

3. People aren't shitting out FOBs every 400m, so there is that. It is also getting people used the thought of a non-combat role. Well placed fobs can change the flow of the match now and that imo is a good thing.

From experience, clan matches have been much much better with the release of vehicles. I appreciate that the games are longer and that you have to be more cautious in your attacks. 

One thing I haven't seen is a logistics centre and squad who's job it is to consistently provide full strength vehicles to the frontline and a dedicated squad to transporting troops. This can be really helpful and the squad leader should be forward thinking by having their medic tell them which squads have been wiped out as well as knowing which squad needs the most assistance (is most vulnerable to being flanked) by sending a support vehicle out. 

With the combination of Gamescom and people pressing for vehicles, I feel the devs pushed v7 out earlier than they wanted to. For me, the issues are still avoidable by disconnecting and reconnecting, lowering graphics, turning off background programs/apps, and there's nothing that stops you from playing the game. 

Edited by Odd_fella

7 hours ago, Mycelus said:

Most rounds end with a team getting only 60-100 kills, despite the fact that there are 600 tickets.

I think this answers all of your questions.

The tickets are dropping so fast because of the total lack of tactical nuance applied by the general public. Vehicles haven't been rushed out, the player base is not learning how to use them. A lot of squad leaders are trying to play the game like they used to in V6, and you just can't do that. Infantry tactics have changed, and vehicle tactics need to be learnt. 

Using the BTR as a tank is the first rule people should be avoiding. Yet we still see people trying to charge an enemy enforced flag with a BTR and no infantry support. 

When the thinking changes, you will see better games.

And games don't "feel as tactical" because the general public can't be bothered looking past the game at face value, and are waiting for others to show them. Applying old tactics to a new game.

I myself have been involved in some of the best games I've ever had in squad, when the teams slow down their approach, use the current vehicles as they're supposed to be used (for fire support, not front line bulldozers). So for me, V7 has improved the game.

The poll options seems really biased...

I enjoy v7 more than v6 in it's current state. v7 is more tactical.

v7 was rushed out, and the game is less enjoyable than v6 was

•  
Edited by alex.sweedensniiperr

100% better in v7.  It has much more tactical aspect due to Fobs now.

Dropping a fob "wherever you want at anytime" was a bit of a pain.

E.G Whole team gets wiped -> One SL left with 2 guys -> Drops fob -> Whole team spawns in -> 30+ players pushing one point.

I'm glad that stuff is gone now. .. let's say v7 is less forgiving which I personally love <3

40 minutes ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

This. The poll question is rather loaded. I think V7 is way more fun than V6, but it has little to do with being more tactical. :)

43 minutes ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

•  

1 minute ago, Aleon said:

This. The poll question is rather loaded. I think V7 is way more fun than V6, but it has little to do with being more tactical. :)

I apologize, but it wasn't intended to sound biased. I figure people either are unhappy with v7 and feel the game is less tactical, or they're happy and think the game feels more tactical and sophisticated with v7.

I prefer V7 but with 54 players and 6 Squads, for me its not tactical or intens with more then 54 players.

Vehicles are really important, especially on Yerihovika map. BTRs can dictactate how the fighting goes, forcing infantry to fight in the urban area and not go in the open field. Using a single BTR properly you can destroy 200 US tickets without losing your BTR, that includes atleast 6 Humvees (one is 16 tickets) and few (clueless) full squads. When round starts claim system is very straight forward and its wasting no time (which means, simple and fast) and above all, squad friendly and that is very important. There is a glitchy thing about certain maps, not made to be a vehicle map, and one of them is Chora or Sumari or Kohat. Chora map is horrendous for any type of vehicles, and your vehicles will get stuck on something even if the most experienced driver is operating your vehicle. There is one thing we would wish for to make the game more balanced and tactical (tactical = FUN), and that is ''focus zoom'' on the 50cal gun on the Humvees and emplacements, and DShK emplacements.

Vehicles aside though, what made the game more ''tactical'' are not vehicles but slower movement speed and body momentum of infantry. We waited for that for far too long. Bullet evading like Neo from Matrix was getting ridiculous and annoying, thank God those  days  are behind us. There is plenty of games out there that provide no-brainer run and gun type of gameplay, I hope Squad will not be one of those, but it will stand out and be different, tactical, team oritented, not gamey with HUD up in face, huge open environment with combined arms warfare.

OWI wanted vehicles first, that's what they've done.  Some other blabber below if anyone cares.  Love polls myself, keep em coming.

Edited by CageMatchKimsey

So what if v6 was getting "samey" at least it worked. I would have waited another two months for them to drop vehicles without destroying the performance and stability if they had just been straight with us and said sorry guys, we aren't ready to drop v7 because it isn't ready.

Edited by lawnboy

The game was not better in v6, this is how development processes are going backwards is not an option, we all love the game, but let's face it, what these guys do is not an easy thing not only that it's a very very unpredictable environment. If people sat back and let the devs work maybe they wouldn't so inclined to release thing ealier than they expected, because let's face it. Most of general population of gamer's are spoiled little bastards, who can't wait for shit and can't appreciate shit. 

So, to sum up. Let the ****ing devs work... 

V7 is more tactical? ... Wtf are you guys talking about? **** sake.... tactics are not implemented into game mechanics the user brings the tactics... ;)  v7 is more tactical... The shit people come up wit these days... lol 

Edited by fantomactual

biased poll LOLOLOLOL not touching with 500 ft pole. :D however ill comment, i honestly think v7 is great sure preformaance crashes suck but in grand scheme of thing sit isn't end of world. after all if this games want to be released it will have to be addressed at some point. probably asap for devs i doubt they want to leave the game in this state anymore than any of us enjoy crashing every 5 seconds. ;) (they released 3 "hotfixes" with the entire goal to address instalbity.) 

99 little bugs on the wall99 little bugs

pass one down, take it out back

203 little bugs on wall!!! 

Edited by WiFiDi

Some people are arguing that at this time vehicles are designed for "offensive/defensive" tactics.

I do not support this idea. I strongly think that vehicles at this stage are defensive/logistical designed... Probably BTR's should be used with a heavy infantry support while playing the offense; but as a merely offensive tool I think it's dangerous and a wasted resource...

That's the actual problemo,folks are using Humvee's BTR'S  as a attacking force than using them as a defensive/backing up troops,what they're meant to be...Using your assets wisely & correctly,they become wrecking machines.

On 9/5/2016 at 9:10 PM, Mycelus said:

1) Yes.  

2) No they were not rushed.  The tactical effect on game play is reliant on the abilities of the players utilization.  Have you not been silently charging through the woods only to have a high-pitched whine of a techinical or the throaty grumble of a HUMVEE charging up near your group?  Hvae you not camped in the BTR gunner whilst an unsuspecting squad casually walks out into the clearing, allowing the definite drumming of the gun to echo throughout the map?  The increase level of tactical awareness and effective tool usage has massively increased from v6 to v7.

3) The TACTICAL feel of the game has increased with the new FOB system.  As stated above, the 3-person limit for LOGI trucks is a hindrance.