HadiHot8

Why play this game?

11 minutes ago, MechanimaL said:

so I'm new to squad too and I'm so glad about the free weekend and the chance to test the game. I bought it after few hours, because the approach totally convinced me, that this will be something great. I'm so disappointed like many here of the way the bf series went and never got to love arma or other games like I did bf2 and its mods/scene. this game now is something really unique.

Great to see new players coming in from the free weekend and finding what the rest of us found here. This game is pretty unique amongst the crowd of MP shooters and its good to see more veterans of the oldschool BF experience filtering into SQUAD. :D

On 31 August 2016 at 9:24 PM, Ginastic said:

It would be cool to have a lvl rank like in RO2, so you can see who's new or a vet. 

Meh, and newbies getting kicked from experienced squads because they expect lower performance even though a newbie might have been playing Arma or any other tactical shooter for years and have a good understanding of tactics in the field. Much better to evaluate others based on their performance instead of playtime.

Not having artificial unlocks or carrot and stick methods forces developers to deliver a product that people return to because of the quality of the gameplay.

Edited by zoog

6 minutes ago, old_Sneakers said:

Hopefully they don't go down this route.

It depends, if you only have personal stats that would be OK I guess.

Something like people revived as a medic would be a cool thing to see.

But I would not be a fan of ranks and I would absolutely hate unlocks. (except some skins maybe)

I am a huge Red Orchestra fan and I still hate the unlock system in RO 2, they should have keep it the Ro 1 way in my opinion. Thankfully they did understand that mistake and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam will have no weapon unlocks.

I think stats are fine, maybe keep them private to your account but no need for anything that changes the game, maybe some skins as rewards. I like stats in for example Insurgency, gives me an idea of how I am doing on basic things.

I think stats are fine for private use as Shoshin said. I would not be against the idea of time played stats, or some sort of "rank" to help newer players join in with players more experienced to help them along. As for unlocks etc.....No way. I play this game because it's the best in it's genre. The heart stopping moments when a rpg fly's in on your guys, gl's flying in. The teamwork and willing the guys to push through. Squad will keep you coming back, not because of fancy camo's or rank sysytems, but because the base game is so damn good it does not need to hide behind unlocks to keep you coming back. Welcome to squad mate!! :D 

The game being a mil sim makes me wanna play it, the comms and the teamwork + the coordination that iq requied tp gain resuls such as victory is rewarding everytime again.  The emphasis on realism and detail, and the way the game is setup. 

If you want ranks join a clan, if you want medals and ribbons join a clan that provides them if you're looking for such immersion. 
Squad is not BF/COD mate, it's better.

1 hour ago, DesmoLocke said:

Stat tracking and ranks doesn't have to mean leaderboards.

Exactly. A personal page with how long I played each Kit or drove in a vehicle would be a nice touch. Keep it private and then the only *leadboards* that can form will be self reported.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

I keep playing because it's fun, and there's a sense of personal progression in regards to player knowledge. When I started out, I could barely survive for 2 minutes, and would end matches 0-7. The other day, I went 24-3 (on the defense objective, to clarify). Becoming a successful squad leader is still beyond me at over 100 hours, and the best spend close to a thousand hours.

It reminds me of playing games for fun, individual skill, and community instead of artificial progression, back during BF1942, BF2, CS, BF:Vietnam, etc. I miss that.

Edited by Crichton

On 8/31/2016 at 9:08 PM, DesmoLocke said:

The ranks in PR were server based and weren't profile persistent IIRC.

Not true, there are no ranks either server side or profile related in PR.

On 8/31/2016 at 7:22 AM, DesmoLocke said:

I can't wait for ranks and stat tracking personally.

I've picked out your posts because you're supposed to be an example for people new to this type of game.. Son, I am dissapoint.

One of the things that made and still makes PR great is that there are no ranks nor stats that continue beyond one round.

If people want ranks/stats to know which SL/squad is any good, then use the simple and proven method of looking at the squads' names, or individual player names, it's all part of the meta.

In PR common squad names were "Inf Teamwork" "Inf Eng Mic" etc. The same is already happening, and will continue to develop in Squad.

On 11/14/2016 at 0:31 AM, eggman said:

We would have done a rank system in PR for similar reasons, except that the community was so small by the time we would have gotten around to it, the benefits would have been moot. Squad cannot afford to rely on name recognition being interchangeable for competency. 

egg

On the other hand, Eggman made a very good point here.

I think the best solution in general would be a sort of indicator/icon that lets you know if someone is completely new to the game, and has for example less then 20 hours of in-game experience. Besides that I think any sort of global rank or stat system would be detrimental to a game like Squad.

6 hours ago, koschilein said:

It depends, if you only have personal stats that would be OK I guess.

Something like people revived as a medic would be a cool thing to see.

But I would not be a fan of ranks and I would absolutely hate unlocks. (except some skins maybe)

I am a huge Red Orchestra fan and I still hate the unlock system in RO 2, they should have keep it the Ro 1 way in my opinion. Thankfully they did understand that mistake and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam will have no weapon unlocks.

Stats for everything could be awesome especially medic, driving, kd ratio, etc.. I only.support a ranking system for skins and beards :). He'll if we get an Isis faction they would be way customizable. 

Stats promote selfish behavior and give people incentive to play to "get stats". They don't serve as an accurate measure of one's skill and contribution to his team. Squad should be all about contributing to your team and not about yourself as an individual. What we need is even less stats, not more. Also, there is plethora of threads concerned with ranking, stats and player progression.

Why do we need to go through all of these things again?

Edited by MultiSquid

11 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

Stats promote selfish behavior and give people incentive to play to "get stats". They don't serve as an accurate measure of one's skill and contribution to his team. Squad should be all about contributing to your team and not about yourself as an individual. What we need is even less stats, not more. Also, there is plethora of threads concerned with ranking, stats and player progression.

Why do we need to go through all of these things again?

You are right, but what about some basic stats like revives but only you yourself can see them for your whole playtime you had so far, or maybe only senseless stuff like fobs build, time spend digging... no negative things and nothing for someone else to see. I loved to see how many hours of my life I wasted on Wake Island alone in BF2.

The irony is information on the battlefield communicated at the right time to the right person is what wins you the game.  Stats are info.  If you knew the right stat such as fuel is low on enemy you would then use that info to attack knowing your enemy is going to run out of fuel...case in point The Battle of The Bulge.  Germans ran out of fuel and supplies.  A statistic of info that Allies capitalized on.  Who said all stats are personal ones.

Stats that maybe should be in game to help team win:

SL management of assets stat such as how well he is supplied with ammo at all times. How well is medics doing their job stat.  A Coms stat shows how well your squad is doing Coms with other squads and commander.  A strategy stat that shows how well that squad is completing objectives.  On and on you should get the picture that there is such a thing as good stats for a game like this.

I play for the intensity and the teamwork. With the way weapons handle, the sound effects, and the visual effects the firefights are just so intense and satisfying that it scratches a particular itch in that regard. And teamwork is pretty much a given at this point.

On 8/30/2016 at 11:47 PM, HadiHot8 said:

So I am new and I just got the game 2 days ago and played it and enjoyed it alot! I'm so glad I found this game but I got a question. Why do you play this game? Since there's no ranks or anything to work up to, what makes you want to play it over and over? Do you feel like something's missing?

Let me know your thoughts, i'm curious to know of them.

I am sure this has all been said a million times, but can't help myself.

Let me first say, I have no problem with the folks who enjoy the progression stuff, I play BF1 all the time for a more casual experience and certainly a lack of any progression and reward for a game like that would make it less appealing. For Squad though, really happy it isn't there. 

For Squad (and PR before it), I can honestly say that they ruined all other FPS games for me in a way. Even if I just want a casual round on BF1, I have trouble playing without friends. Heck I couldn't play other FPSs for a long time, only when real life got in the way and I couldn't dedicate the time (or more often brain power) to Squad and PR. Obviously, community and teamwork are a huge component. Unlike other games, you can't win the game without serious team work. That human element, whether satisfactory (a lot of good Squads, good FOB placement) or enraging (LULZ Super FOB in middle of nowhere or WE NEED BACKUP at farm house in the middle of nowhere) gives the game an added dimension. Heck, going into a round and constantly having to think about your actions and change up your game plan gives this game satisfactory depth.

I also like the fact that this game isn't about me. Even if I am squad leading, my goal is to help my squad and my team to have a good experience and win the game. Heck the burden I feel to ensure others enjoy their experience is actually one of the greatest motivators I have ever experienced in a game. Sure I could grab a DMR kit and go sit in the hills, but chances are I will get smoked/will never make that big of a difference. This is the one reason I am glad there isn't progression, because if there was the game would be about you. 

Finally, and most importantly after teamwork/community, is the fact that this game makes me think, especially when I am doing the SL job. How many rallies are left, can squad 1 hold the flag long enough for me to cap, where is the enemy spawning from, where should the next fob be placed, how many of my guys are still up, is the high ground ahead secure enough to bring in some vehicle support, should I hold for counter attack or move ahead, do we open fire now or get a little closer, what is the best avenue to move ahead.... These are calculations I am having to make constantly, and it is so satisfying when all those calculations lead to success, and much more disappointing when they do not. 

Unlike when I player a lot of other games (especially when compared to my pre-PR days) I don't get off the computer and feel the same as I did when I watched too many cartoons as a kid. I feel like I used my brain, had a fun time with friends and really satisfied a competitive hunger that I typically only get from sports or a big win at work. 

On 8/31/2016 at 6:47 AM, HadiHot8 said:

I'm so glad I found this game but I got a question. Why do you play this game?

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever played football/tennis/basketball/baseball/chess/paintball or any other game with no ranks or anything to work up to?

What makes you want to play it over and over?

The game is fun as it is. Ranks, unlocks and BF-style stuff ruin everything. And DICE did ruin everything with that ranks/unlocks/casual stuff. Battlefield 3/4/Hardline/One etc aint anything like original true old Battlefield 1942/2 games. Nowadays people don't play Battlefield. They play Callofdutyfield, they just call it Battlefield for some unknown reason.

Do you feel like something's missing?

Yes. This:

And this:

Edited by Skul

http://youtu.be/jk0gBZtTYUAGood personal stats means you help the team...and win the Top Gun Trophy...:)  Competition is good.  Maverick leaves his spot as wingman to go for trophy and ends up dead....never leave your team spot for personal gain.

Edited by XRobinson

2 hours ago, XRobinson said:

A Coms stat shows how well your squad is doing Coms with other squads and commander.  A strategy stat that shows how well that squad is completing objectives.  On and on you should get the picture that there is such a thing as good stats for a game like this.

Almost impossible to define in a game though.

Coms stat? How? By how many times you use the radio on platoon or command net? Might also be because you are not good in short radio speak thus clogging up the channels. Idiots can start spamming comms to increase the stat etc.

Strategy stat? You can also be crucial as a squad in supporting another squad to complete the objective (by luring the enemy away, cutting spawn supply lines, blocking reinforcements etc), almost impossible to measure with an algorithm. too many possibilities how your squad can be key in making sure an objective gets capped. Hell, a strategy stat  might even influence people's behavior by having all squads wanting to cap objectives asap instead of other supporting tasks.

stats like this WILL influence people's play style.

Edited by zoog

I would like to see less personal stats, but more squad stats. Remove the "score" stat entirely and replace it by more team oriented, non-vague stats.

Tickets

Number of tickets the squad lost
Number of tickets the squad took from the enemy(for lack of a better word)

Spawn infrastructure
Number of FOBs the squad put down
Number of FOBs the squad put down and lost before the end of the match
Number of enemy FOBs the squad took out
Number of enemy RPs the squad took out
Number of SLs the squad took out(when the SL had to give up or wasn't revivable anymore)

Objectives
Number of Objectives the squad neutralised/defended/captured/

Assets
Number of Vehicles the squad claimed
Number of Vehicles the squad lost
Number of enemy Vehicles the squad destroyed

Obviously they would have to be displayed in some sort of shortened fashion like ratios to fit on the screen and you'd have to mouse over or click to view the details.