Corbela

Worth buying right now?

Posted this already to steam forums but as you all know it can get pretty cancerous. SO, honesty is required even though I'm at the motherbase right now. This game really fascinates me and I'm confirmed that devs are fully committed to make this a solid game. However 35e for game that "is not playable", "broken" "fatal errorz" do not courage me to buy this. But this bugs me. There are over thousand players online every evening. If it is 20fps for everyone with game breaking fatals and all that good ♥♥♥♥ how is that possible? I have a good rig ( GTX 1070, 6700K, 16GB rams, SSD) which by all means should make this game a pleasant experience for me. However good rig does not fix fatal error. So with all honesty after this story should I buy this right now. I don't really want to go back to PR or start arma3 D&D. Its really hard for me to buy arguments like this game is broken, abandon this ♥♥♥♥ till fixed while there are 1000+ players online. Please people with same specs offer me a solution for this mess. And is fatal error still coming up after every round. Sry for this bible. I think many of us are in the same situation. You can call me Ser Spam'alot :)

I can only repeat what I've told other people who asked the same question:

IF you can live with errors and bugs, Early Access and especially Alpha-stage titles like SQUAD are something for you. Otherwise not.

The game IS in development, which means it will keep going through phases where things are broken or instable.

Thanks for the reply. But for right now, is the game playable? I understand the alfa stage completely and what it demands/brings with it. I played total war attila:) trust me I know alfa. Just don't want to buy this and get immediately fatal errored to my face. Fatal error for every coupple of hours is ok. Every 30 mins not. Hope you understand what I mean. Just excited for this game :) Not so much however that i would sacrifice my 35e for 2 months. Even though I want to support this my doublestandards make a problem:D

Edited by Corbela

It's a significantly scaled down PR with nicer graphics and loads of bugs and performance issues. It's playable and fun, but it still needs a lot of work.

If you're expecting anything else, you're gonna have a bad time.

*edit* Also, you can still try out the game and return it if you don't like it, check Steam refund policy.

Edited by MultiSquid

2 minutes ago, Corbela said:

Just don't want to buy this and get immediately fatal errored to my face.

I can't promise that, I can only tell you that other people can play fine but get a fatal error from time to time.

1 minute ago, Corbela said:

Thanks for the reply. But for right now, is the game playable? I understand the alfa stage completely and what it demands/brings with it. I played total war attila:) trust me I know alfa. Just don't want to buy this and get immediately fatal errored to my face. Fatal error for every coupple of hours is ok. Every 30 mins not. Hope you understand what I mean.

The current state is that the game crashes on mostly every round start (after map change). I can play at least 1 or 2 rounds in a row without a crash.

Ok. How about my pc specs? Will this suck the life out of my pc or am I able to be at 50-60fps. Of course every pc is unique but overall the signs are there: AMD ruined, intel ok.

Just now, Corbela said:

Ok. How about my pc specs? Will this suck the life out of my pc or am I able to be at 50-60fps. Of course every pc is unique but overall the signs are there: AMD ruined, intel ok.

The FPS is varying based on different criterias. But I guess with your specs you will get at least 30 - 50 fps on full servers (72 players) and up to 100+ fps on almost empty servers. Depends on your settings, the server and and and.

If you buy the game you can give it back before you reach 2 hrs playtime (steam wallet refund). If you want to give it a try: do it. If you want to go safe: wait for full release. Decide for yourself.

Just now, El Duderino said:

If you buy the game you can give it back before you reach 2 hrs playtime (steam wallet refund). If you want to give it a try: do it. If you want to go safe: wait for full release. Decide for yourself.

agree

Thanks! Hopefully this topic supports other people also to make a decisions of this game.

Edited by Corbela

Btw what kind of graphical look is planned for this game in the future. Right now I think it looks beautiful. Are future upgrades mostly view distance etc or are there texture and effect upgrades coming also. Once the optimization is complete I mean. Some water dynamics and breakable cover would be too good...

I suggest you to join the "Squad Community" discord server. If you don't know discord: it's text and voice chat software....kinda like between TS and Skype. The link to the discord server can be found here:

2 hours ago, Corbela said:

Posted this already to steam forums but as you all know it can get pretty cancerous. SO, honesty is required even though I'm at the motherbase right now. This game really fascinates me and I'm confirmed that devs are fully committed to make this a solid game. However 35e for game that "is not playable", "broken" "fatal errorz" do not courage me to buy this. But this bugs me. There are over thousand players online every evening. If it is 20fps for everyone with game breaking fatals and all that good ♥♥♥♥ how is that possible? I have a good rig ( GTX 1070, 6700K, 16GB rams, SSD) which by all means should make this game a pleasant experience for me. However good rig does not fix fatal error. So with all honesty after this story should I buy this right now. I don't really want to go back to PR or start arma3 D&D. Its really hard for me to buy arguments like this game is broken, abandon this ♥♥♥♥ till fixed while there are 1000+ players online. Please people with same specs offer me a solution for this mess. And is fatal error still coming up after every round. Sry for this bible. I think many of us are in the same situation. You can call me Ser Spam'alot :)

Are you joking??? its the best game ever made and every update it just gets better! its way better than any of the BF arma games it forces you to play as a squad/team like no other game, well apart from PR

ive got a 6700k 980ti 32gb ram i get 60 fps gsynced at 1440p 

1 hour ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Are you joking??? its the best game ever made and every update it just gets better! its way better than any of the BF arma games it forces you to play as a squad/team like no other game, well apart from PR

ive got a 6700k 980ti 32gb ram i get 60 fps gsynced at 1440p 

Best game ever does not make fatal errors or drive medium computer to melting point. Or should I say, does not push pc capability nearly enough. What I mean right now is that objectivity is hard to get and it is however good to see people as excited as you are.  It is getting better, for that I'm sure :) Thanks.

I purchased the game to show financial support for the Developers and not for an out-the-box playabe game 

That being said my last play session was a few hours and I had two fatal errors.  It sucks, but I'm confident the developers will fix this in the next month or so.  The game mechanics are solid.  I have a similar rig to yours OP, so you should run it fine.  

Consider your purchase as an investment into a game and your participation an investment in the community. 

3 hours ago, Corbela said:

Btw what kind of graphical look is planned for this game in the future...

To answer your first question, I purchased the game to show financial support for the Developers and not for an out-the-box playabe game 

That being said my last play session was a few hours and I had two fatal errors.  It sucks, but I'm confident the developers will fix this in the next month or so.  The game mechanics are solid.  I have a similar rig to yours OP, so you should run it fine.  

Consider your purchase as an investment into a game and your participation an investment in the community. 

As far as graphical direction, the game currently has an unlimited view distance, which might change depending on how heavy vehicles like attack helicopters or MBTs affect gameplay.  They plan to add TrueSky to the near future, which would had dynamic lighting and weather effects. Just look at UE4 engine and see what it is capable of.

5 hours ago, Corbela said:

However 35e for game that "is not playable", "broken" "fatal errorz" do not courage me to buy this.

deleted. regards, beginna

If it is 20fps for everyone with game breaking fatals and all that good ♥♥♥♥ how is that possible?

Gameplay in this game is so impossibly fuсking gorgeous, beautiful and glorious that people play this game at 15-25 FPS even with fatal errors every 20-30 minutes. Imagine how good the game is if people are still playing it with 25 FPS and fatal errors every 20 mins :DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I have a good rig ( GTX 1070, 6700K, 16GB rams, SSD) which by all means should make this game a pleasant experience for me.

Don't forget to turn off hyper threading...

However good rig does not fix fatal error.

It just might will. I noticed that on my new Skylake on DDR4 I get a lot less fatal errors than on my old DDR2 PC...

So with all honesty after this story should I buy this right now.

Yes. You should. Don't have any doubts.

And is fatal error still coming up after every round.

It's not. It happens randomly as it might looks at first but it's not random. I don't ever get fatal errors at the start of the round but I see very often how 50% of the server disconnects after the start of the round. Instead, I get fatal errors during the round. Sometimes it's 2 times per round, sometimes it's 0 times per 3 rounds(3 hours of gameplay).

You should definitely buy this game if you played BF1942/2/PR in the past. You will love Squad if you played these games. In my opinion Squad is just better than any Battlefield game(or DLC/Mod/Addon) was ever made.

~4 weeks ago i advertised Squad, as alternative to Arma 3, to the leader of my former unit in Arma. My main point was that "SQUAD is incredibly beautiful and in the same time demonstrates really good FPS even on relatively old systems, as my own PC". I convinced him and few days later he bought it...right after v7 has been released. Should i say he was very upset by performance and stability of Squad v7?)) That was a very unhappy coincedence for my plan to pull my ex-unit from Arma to Squad.

Edited by Scarish

Playable is a subjective term. Some people would say 30ish fps is playable, for others it isn't close to acceptable. If you're someone who doesn't mind low or below average fps and can deal with crashes go ahead and buy it, it is very fun.

But if you expect a higher level of performance hold off until they fix the performance problems. And if you decide to buy don't buy with the expectation that It will run as well as other games do on your hardware.

I've just spent 3 hrs playing. 1 crash, jumped back on server, back to same squad and position. Just a small setback.
Then played an amazing round holding Niva Upper. All squads worked together, great communication with squad leaders and squads. That's why we won.
No other game plays like that. Just get it.

As far is it goes for me, Squad is by far one of, if not, the best Early Access game I have played. Even early on when I started playing, it felt "Like a game," not like an "alpha/beta" If that makes any sense to you. Sure there are crashes, bugs, ect... but you actually do feel like you are playing something, rather than testing something that is inherently incomplete. The squad devs have done a great job making a playable game, long before they have reached their end goals.

So for the above reasons, I do recommend it to people that I know when they ask: "Is it worth it." So far no one has been disappointed. 

Thanks for the replies guys. I played this for 2 hours mayby yesterday and I have to say it was mostly good. You can't put enough value for the importance of a good squad leader. It basically makes the game what it is. What comes to the performance then. I did not get fatal errors what I did fear the most. I only played for 2h but still the first impression was good. Performance was 50-60fps with 6700K and gtx1070 so it basically sucks. This is getting fixed I suppose. So I do like it. Would I recommend it? It depends. If you make yourself comfortable with things above it is really good. If you like fast paced 5sec spawn times do not touch it. Try it for sure if you want a completely different experience. 

Btw, those soldiers eyes. Please make them look better. Mayby facial expresion even a little. Getting revived by cocanepumped massrapist looking medic is a bad experience:D Thankfully awesome looking explosions and muzleflashes mosty cover them. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Corbela said:

Btw, those soldiers eyes. Please make them look better. Mayby facial expresion even a little. Getting revived by cocanepumped massrapist looking medic is a bad experience:D Thankfully awesome looking explosions and muzleflashes mosty cover them. Cheers!

7xtRRfG.jpg