Poita

Is it that problematic for devs to let players choose their own key setup?

I've been playing FP shooters on a PC both offline and online for over twenty years. 

Like many PC gamers, I have my own preference when it come to assigning keys to certain actions. 

I happen to like to use the arrow keys for movement. I'm not the only person. I like a clear space between my left hand and my right hand holding the mouse; rather than using AWSD and having all of the keyboard to the right of those keys in between my movement control and mouse/aim control. 

So why, after decades of PC FPS games do so many devs block players from using the keys around the arrow keys for certain functions? 

They either just won't bind or they are already perma-bound to other functions. 

As I use the arrow keys for movement I like to use the right Ctrl key for lean left and the Keypad 0/ins key for lean right. I also like to use the rest of the num pad keys for weapons choices. 

Squad, like quite a few other games that I've come across over the years just won't allow this. 

The answer that a player should just 'adjust' to the enforced set up limitations for each and every game they play is just not acceptable. It goes against instincts built up over literally decades of gaming. My key preferences are the same for Squad as they were for Quake 1&2, Hidden & Dangerous, OpFlash, Ghost Recon 1 and all the others leading up to Squad.

Is it really that hard for the Squad devs to cater to all key preferences? Even if most use WASD these days, a significant portion of gamers still use the arrow keys. So why don't game devs respect this?

Squad allows all of this?
you can use the numpad for whatever you want, you just have to unbind the controls bound to numpad first.
and you can use Delete, End, and page down with a little tinkering with the control ini file. (pretty easy)
and you can bind the arrow keys no problem

I don't have a problem binding the arrow keys and the del, end etc keys. 

Squad won't let me bind the num key pad keys to weapons (but it will let me bind them to map, zoom, fire selector. 

It wont' let me bind num pad 0/ins (even when I unbind the previous setting. 

I don't want to be going into the root of games to achieve simple things such as key binding. 

Thread necromancing...

So I used to be able to use the "del" key in Squad. I cant bind it directly in the menu, but previously (including v12 public test) you could force bind it over the config file found in: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\input.ini.

In V12 it actually shows up in the controls correctly, but it is not working in-game. 

unbenannt12dqo.png

Other keys work and I checked that I have not bound the key to another function. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by MeFirst

On 11/9/2018 at 1:19 PM, MeFirst said:

Thread necromancing...

So I used to be able to use the "del" key in Squad. I cant bind it directly in the menu, but previously (including v12 public test) you could force bind it over the config file found in: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\input.ini.

In V12 it actually shows up in the controls correctly, but it is not working in-game. 

unbenannt12dqo.png

Other keys work and I checked that I have not bound the key to another function. 

Any ideas? 

*bump*

Hmm, that's an odd one. Are you using a language other than English? There's a known issue when rebinding some keys in other languages -- the workaround is to switch to English, rebind, and then switch back. (Believe this was fixed and found it's way back in -- it's a known issue though.)

If that doesn't help, do reach out to [email protected] for assistance.

Hello,

I tried my luck again with the new update and the problem still persist. 

I changed the language back and forth and I went  into the input config file in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor 

I changed the line to this:

ActionMappings=(ActionName="LeanLeft",Key=Delete,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

This used to work before V12 and it still does not work and with that I am unable to bind the del key to any function.

I guess (?) I managed to fix this. I completely deleted the game and steam and made sure to purge all config and registry files before reinstalling.

But you still can not bind the delete key in the menu btw you have to do it in the config. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:23 PM, MeFirst said:

I guess (?) I managed to fix this. I completely deleted the game and steam and made sure to purge all config and registry files before reinstalling.

But you still can not bind the delete key in the menu btw you have to do it in the config. 

Thank you for reporting back! This is good to know. Apologies for the inconvenience in having to rebind manually.