Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmoothWildChild

Fatal PC freeze on launch. Hard press reboot required every-single-attempt to launch.

Video of error happening:

https://vid.me/rvnx

I just purchased the game right after the vehicle patch came out. before the hotfix I was able to login and play. With the latest hotfix, when I launch, I get a completely frozen computer. My mouse freezes and all on screen graphics are frozen and no keyboard commands work. Just like a screen cap of what was on the screen stays and I am forced to hard reboot by holding the button.
I even did a fresh reinstall of windows and drivers. Everything is up to date. The same exact error occurs no matter what.

PC Set-Up:

• -Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 P67
  • -Processor: i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHz
  • -RAM: GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3 16gb
  • -Graphics: Dual Geforce GTX 560Ti in SLi

Nothing is overclocked. 

ETC

I tried everything in this thread, but I had no luck.

I would appreciate it if anybody had any ideas.

I have had no success with the latest 7.2 update. I deleted the games local content and reinstalled. No change, just complete computer freeze and forced to hard reset.

can anybody can point me in any direction?

Would someone please help me? I am waiting patiently and thankfully buI it  has been days without a response from anybody.

The game launched and worked for me at first. I have literally done everything I can think of. All fresh drivers, and bios, and everything is on a fresh windows install. I cannot get this game to launch without my PC completely freezing to a stand still.

Screen Pic of frozen screen when game launched with some status programs frozen on the screen for reference. 

Seems hard disk related to me. What drive do you have your copy of Squad installed on?

(It's my unofficial recommendation to have it on an SSD btw.)

7 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

Seems hard disk related to me. What drive do you have your copy of Squad installed on?

(It's my unofficial recommendation to have it on an SSD btw.)

I do have a SSD installed. It is running Windows 10 and Squad on it.

Intel SSDSA2CW120G3

Pic of screen of crash with HDD Details displayed

Pic of drive details

I installed and ran Intel's "Solid-State Toolbox" software, everything is in good working order. No problems.

I also checked for errors on it in windows. No problems. All SSD drivers are up to date. 

Ok cool. I'll see if one of the support guys can look into it.

A hard freeze like that, if it happens only in squad, is usually a sign of some kind of driver incompatability with something that squad is trying to call at the OS level (that sentence doesn't make much sense even to me but I am too tired to fix it right now, hopefully you get the gist). 

A few things to try:

1. Remove one GPU (or disable it, I don't know how multi-gpu stuff works... but removing it completely would give an assured test) and try running the game. 
  2. Test your memory however you'd like, although I don't really think this would be the issue. 
  3. Disable whatever sound card/device your system has. In device manager kill that sucker. Sure you will lose sound but you can see if it allows you to start the game, if it does, we can take it from there. 

Also if the stuff @Psyrusrecommended did not work and you feel like it, a complete re installation of Windows will most likely fix that problem if it is software related.

Sometimes its easier to just reinstall rather then looking for a specific driver/software error.

Have you tried disabling SLI on your video cards and see if that resolves it? Its not officially supported so it could be causing issues.

Have you activated the XMP in BIOS for your RAM? If so: try it without. Could also cause crashes/freezes.

7 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Have you activated the XMP in BIOS for your RAM? If so: try it without. Could also cause crashes/freezes.

+1 on this... started getting these after V7, disabled XMP and all was good again.

14 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

Ok cool. I'll see if one of the support guys can look into it.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Psyrus said:

A hard freeze like that, if it happens only in squad, is usually a sign of some kind of driver incompatability with something that squad is trying to call at the OS level (that sentence doesn't make much sense even to me but I am too tired to fix it right now, hopefully you get the gist). 

A few things to try:

1. Remove one GPU (or disable it, I don't know how multi-gpu stuff works... but removing it completely would give an assured test) and try running the game. 
  2. Test your memory however you'd like, although I don't really think this would be the issue. 
  3. Disable whatever sound card/device your system has. In device manager kill that sucker. Sure you will lose sound but you can see if it allows you to start the game, if it does, we can take it from there. 

I removed the card and the game booted and launched fine.  Crashes when I join a multiplayer game. I get "Fatal Error!".

11 hours ago, koschilein said:

Also if the stuff @Psyrusrecommended did not work and you feel like it, a complete re installation of Windows will most likely fix that problem if it is software related.

Sometimes its easier to just reinstall rather then looking for a specific driver/software error.

This is on a fresh new install, this problem occurred on an older install of windows 10 after the 7.1 update. I reinstalled windows and the problem was still occurring on the fresh install. 

11 hours ago, SuicidalChair said:

Have you tried disabling SLI on your video cards and see if that resolves it? Its not officially supported so it could be causing issues.

This seems to be it. Crashes when I launch a multiplayer game now. 

8 hours ago, El Duderino said:

It was set to Auto. The only options were to enable the XMP profile or keep it set to Auto. I just left it on Auto. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what I am taking from this is that before the first patch of the vehicle update, my  (2) Geforce GTX 560Ti in SLi was working. With the latest patches, it has been crashing the game on launch.

At first I just removed the SLi bridge that connects the 2 video cards. With this removed, Squad still froze on launch. 

Then I completely disconnected and removed the second video card. Now Squad is able to launch, but seemingly with half of my Video power neutered. 

Now I can launch the firing range just fine, but I crash when I join a multiplayer game now. I get "Fatal Error!".

Does anyone have any advice on how to adjust the graphic/game settings for optimal performance for my PC setup? 

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. 

Edited by SmoothWildChild
Detail

I think when your running that 560Ti on it's own it is running out of the 1Gb of memory it has in multi player. Hence the crashes.

I think when your running that 560Ti on it's own it is running out of the 1Gb of memory it has in multi player. Hence the crashes.

Nope, I have played on two separate 1gb cards fine in squad, including the latest version.

Edit: in sli there would still only be 1gb of addressable memory anyway.

5 hours ago, SmoothWildChild said:

I removed the card and the game booted and launched fine.  Crashes when I join a multiplayer game. I get "Fatal Error!".

Well I believe that is just a plain old squad v7.x error, don't worry too much about that one for now. You can try and follow some of the guides on the forums which will maybe reduce the frequency, but until the devs fix the broken piece(s) of code, there isn't a huge amount you can do about it. 

Glad to hear that I could help :)