Sign in to follow this  
hitman

Help with making a PC

Hey hows it going guys i made a post a while back asking what motherboard and processor i need for squad and Ive got those but I have some other parts Im still wondering on and have an idea of what I need. Heres what I have so far (tell me if they work together or not.)

Motherboard:ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel

Processor:Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

Graphics card:ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

CPU fan: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R X2

What I still need to know:

What case should I buy?

Which power supply?

And do these parts I have currently work together?

I know some of them do but Im still just wanting to make sure. 
Would love some help, Thanks.

We need to know two things. First, what resolution do you play at? SLI is usually not a good choice unless you really need more performance than a single card can provide. You are almost always better off buying the fastest single card you can, and when upgrading it is always better to buy the newest, fastest card you can rather than buying a second older card. And if you aren't going to SLI, you certainly don't need a full size ATX motherboard or case.

Second, do you have some specific reason you want to water cool? It's much more expensive that a good air cooling system and a bit of a pain in the ass. There are lots of great air coolers that are quiet and give superb cooling performance for much less money, even with a super overclock. The money saved on water cooling could probably be better spent elsewhere. 

Once we know these things we can more accurately select some good components. You are almost certainly overspending on the motherboard, and your case and motherboard selection will have a lot to do with what type of power supply and cooling you select as well as whether or not you need room for SLI. 

Edited by lawnboy

3 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

We need to know two things. First, what resolution do you play at? SLI is usually not a good choice unless you really need more performance than a single card can provide. You are almost always better off buying the fastest single card you can, and when upgrading it is always better to buy the newest, fastest card you can rather than buying a second older card. And if you aren't going to SLI, you certainly don't need a full size ATX motherboard or case.

Second, do you have some specific reason you want to water cool? It's much more expensive that a good air cooling system and a bit of a pain in the ass. There are lots of great air coolers that are quiet and give superb cooling performance for much less money, even with a super overclock. The money saved on water cooling could probably be better spent elsewhere. 

Once we know these things we can more accurately select good some good components. You are almost certainly overspending on the motherboard, and your case and power supply selection will have a lot to do with what type of motherboard and cooling you select as well as whether or not you need room for SLI. 

For the Resolution Im at 1440p

For the water cooling i want it cause I live in Vegas and my room can get quite hot during summer.

For the Card I was looking at the 1070 due to the price and performance but now that I think about it I should spend a bit more to have the 1080.

At 1440p you don't need SLI, a single 1080 will do you just fine, so I would suggest a micro ATX motherboard and case. No point in having a big case if when you don't need the extra space. 

As for cooling, how hot are we talking here? It would have to be pretty hot to seriously impede the function of an air cooler. If it gets hot enough in your room that an air cooler couldn't do the job or the PC heat makes it unbearable you're better off taking the money you'd spend on water cooling and using it to buy an air conditioner for your window instead, at least that way you don't have to spend your gaming time sweating your balls off.  

Edited by lawnboy

3 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

At 1440p you don't need SLI, a single 1080 will do you just fine, so I would suggest a micro ATX motherboard and case. No point in having a big case if when you don't need the extra space. 

As for cooling, how hot are we talking here? It would have to be pretty hot to seriously impede the function of an air cooler. If it gets hot enough in your room that an air cooler couldn't do the job or the PC heat makes it unbearable you're better off taking the money you'd spend on water cooling and using it to buy an air conditioner for your window instead, at least that way you don't have to spend your gaming time sweating your balls off.  

As for the water cooler I was looking to over clock the CPU, would an air cooler do fine for that? Also, which motherboard would you say I should get?

Edited by hitman

Yes, air cooling is just fine for overclocking. There are a number of very high performance air cooling units out there that will take you as high as that chip is going to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Both are good choices, the second one always gets top marks for being quiet. The top one is giant and can be a wee bit tricky to install.

Edited by lawnboy

22 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

Yes, air cooling is just fine for overclocking. There are a number of very high performance air cooling units out there that will take you as high as that chip is going to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Both are good choices, the second one always gets top marks for being quiet. The top one is giant and can be a wee bit tricky to install.

Awesome, Which motherboard would work best with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157675

This is a nice board, ASRock makes solid stuff. Micro ATX form factor so you can get into a reasonably sized case but it still has SLI support if you ever do go that route. But, as stated, it's generally not a good use of your money unless you have a specific use case where a single card isn't enough like 4k or something. 

As for a case, I can make a recommendation if you want but really any Micro ATX case with good reviews will work, find one you like the looks of and go for it.

I'll post a couple of good power supplies for you here in a second, and I would highly recommend you go with the Noctua cooler I linked because it's size won't get in the way of anything. The other one is seriously ****ing huge. 

Edited by lawnboy

4 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157675

This is a nice board, ASRock makes solid stuff. Micro ATX form factor so you can get into a reasonably sized case but it still has SLI support if you ever do go that route. But, as stated, it's generally not a good use of your money unless you have a specific use case where a single card isn't enough like 4k or something. 

As for a case, I can make a recommendation if you want but really any Micro ATX case with good reviews will work, find one you like the looks of and go for it.

I'll post a couple of good power supplies for you here in a second, and I would highly recommend you go with the Noctua cooler I linked because it's size won't get in the way of anything. The other one is seriously ****ing huge. 

Awesome, thanks so much for the help!

Either one of these power supplies are quality units, your choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182357&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

As for a case, this is the one I have. It's a nice case at a very reasonable price, but as I said just look for a case you think looks cool and read some reviews. if they are good go for it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119274

Edited by lawnboy

Lawnboy seems to have you straight, one think I'd mention if gaming and especially gaming in Squad is your main concern, I'd search the forums and reddit to make certain the 4790k doesn't perform better than the 6600k, possibly due to single core performance.

Check these building sites and other info.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K

Don't buy older Haswell gear at this point, you're going to want that nice Skylake with DDR4. If you do decide to go for an i7 as CageMatchKinsey suggests, which is nice but hardly necessary, then buy a 6000 series i7 not a 4000 (it wouldn't work with that motherboard anyway). Still, an i7 and an i5 at the same clock speed are going to be virtually the same as far as gaming performance goes. 

An i7 is a very nice upgrade if you do something else with your PC that is CPU intensive like video encoding or whatever, but if it's just gaming you're better off saving the money.

27 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

Don't buy older Haswell gear at this point, you're going to want that nice Skylake with DDR4. If you do decide to go for an i7 as CageMatchKinsey suggests, which is nice but hardly necessary, then buy a 6000 series i7 not a 4000 (it wouldn't work with that motherboard anyway). Still, an i7 and an i5 at the same clock speed are going to be virtually the same as far as gaming performance goes. 

An i7 is a very nice upgrade if you do something else with your PC that is CPU intensive like video encoding or whatever, but if it's just gaming you're better off saving the money.

Awesome, thank you guys for the help!

You don't need more than a 500W power supply, air cooling is more than sufficient even for OCing - runs more silent too, bigger case = better airflow = lower temperatures, get 2x4GB DDR4 G.Skill RAM as it's of higher quality than Corsair and get 3200Mhz kit if you can.

Look for Be Quiet Pure Power 9 reviews to see how it compares in efficiency and noise level to others, Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 case and look for Z170 motherboard comparisons (spoiler alert: differences are very small). Read the reviews and make the choice yourself. Good luck.

Dont buy i5 6600k.

I have one, and overclocked to 4,7. Yeou realy need i7 6700k@4,7 becouse this game realy is cpu bottlnecked. I even had bottlneck with i5 with 970. Now i have 980ti, and watch 50% GPU usage.

And there are alot of games where i7 is better, and more games will utilize aditional logical cores in the future.

With i7, you will have less anoying frame drops and better minimum FPS. As a cooler i prefer noctuan so buy nhd15 and OC it to the max.

You don't need an i7, this game is just optimized like a turd. This will get better in the future, but for now the game runs like shit. If you want the i7 or have some other use for the extra cache or hyperthreading go for it, but don't expect to see enough of a difference in games to justify the extra money. And especially don't spend the extra money on account of Squad, because the alpha is seriously a wreck right now when it comes to performance.