Kalith

[Tool] Tactical planner for squad (gametactic.org/squad)

Great tool! Would be nice to have each layer and the objective names on the map, but it's not necessarily a must-have. :) 

Sorry for the late response, I've been on vacation.

On 9/12/2016 at 8:48 AM, Ridoc said:

Great tool, i highly recommend this

Only the Quadrants information would be great if this could be implemented to move with the zoom

I added a toggle grid button (top right) that will show a coordinate in each square. That should make it a little easier to navigate.

I also got around to adding squad specific icons, I based myself on the wiki: http://squad.gamepedia.com/Kit_Role_Selection and http://squad.gamepedia.com/Using_the_map. Let me know if anything is missing.

On 9/19/2016 at 2:15 AM, DesmoLocke said:

Great tool! Would be nice to have each layer and the objective names on the map, but it's not necessarily a must-have. :) 

If you have maps of the other layers and/or an annotated map, then I'll see what I can do.

Also thx for the sticky.

Edited by Kalith

Very useful tool, thanks a lot!

I would also suggest that the symbols have a locked size, so that their size doesnt depend on which magnification setting I happened to have when I placed them. The map looks very untidy in the end otherwise. I think the way on places symbols, and the way they are shown, in the in-game map is quite decent. The symbol stay the same size when you zoom in and out. If you placed a symbol while zoomed in and you then zoom out, the symbol will hover in that general area at the same size, and you have to zoom back in to understand where exactly its placed (it will sort of move slightly when you zoom in to give you a better visual).

If what I write doesn't make sense, just try out the in-game map in Squad!

On 10/5/2016 at 3:11 PM, plissken said:

Very useful tool, thanks a lot!

I would also suggest that the symbols have a locked size, so that their size doesnt depend on which magnification setting I happened to have when I placed them. The map looks very untidy in the end otherwise. I think the way on places symbols, and the way they are shown, in the in-game map is quite decent. The symbol stay the same size when you zoom in and out. If you placed a symbol while zoomed in and you then zoom out, the symbol will hover in that general area at the same size, and you have to zoom back in to understand where exactly its placed (it will sort of move slightly when you zoom in to give you a better visual).

If what I write doesn't make sense, just try out the in-game map in Squad!

I definitely know what you mean. However, the size used to be fixes and the result was that when you zoom in a fair bit and place an icon with a default size it would sort of cover the screen.

The dynamic zoom is a good idea though. If I understand you make icons that were placed when more zoomed out smaller, and icons that were more zoomed in bigger. I already store the zoom level on which icons have been places, so it shouldn't be too hard to do, I'll give it a try.

Ok that didn't take too long. I implemented it and I think I like it. Give it a try and tell me what you think ?

One thing though, I didn't actually store the zoom level at which an icon was drawn, which means I can't really add this feature retro-actively to existing/stored tactics.

Dude, the planner is essentially complete now, in my eyes. Thanks so much! I'll get back with some more feedback once I've tried it out a bit more.

Alright, I noticed that while the symbols stay the same size no matter what magnification setting, the lines, geometrical figures, drawings and text-inserts still function the way they did before, i.e their size depend on which magnification setting I used when I drew them.

I think it probably would make sense to apply the same change to these aswell, at least I don't see a reason why not. One could always just manually change the size and thickness of certain drawings, if one needs to. What do you think?

Edited by plissken

On 8.10.2016 at 3:32 PM, plissken said:

Alright, I noticed that while the symbols stay the same size no matter what magnification setting, the lines, geometrical figures, drawings and text-inserts still function the way they did before, i.e their size depend on which magnification setting I used when I drew them.

I think it probably would make sense to apply the same change to these aswell, at least I don't see a reason why not. One could always just manually change the size and thickness of certain drawings, if one needs to. What do you think?

I see what you're coming from, it's not quite resizing of course but redrawing with reduced thickness/size.

There's are some things to consider. For icons it makes sense to scale them around their center. When scaling text for example, it's harder, do you scale it around it's center. Do you fix upper left and scale that way ? Or do you fix any of the other 3 corners ? 

Also I'm a little bit afraid that if you let everything scale with zoom, that if you make plans very zoomed in and then zoom out, things may start to look really crowded. The same actually already happens with icons sort of.

Anyway I'll give it a try, see how it 'feels'.

Well I implemented the zoom/redraw for everything to get an idea how it feels. I've not enabled it by default, to try it out add an &adjust_zoom to the url. e.g.: http://gametactic.org/squadplanner2.html?room=WwtYtq7rNMIVJU&adjust_zoom.

Anyway here's what I think.

I think for icons/notes it's basically fine. For text I think it may be a little weird as the text might drift from whatever you were labeling. If I implement it for text it should probably not scale around it's center like the icons but it should probably scale around it's left corner, as that's how you place it.

For lines/drawn lines/curves I think it's actually fine. The only problem i have is that there's a bit of a performance penalty. Rescaling is pretty cheap, but redrawing not so much. And changing the width always forces a redraw, there's no getting around that. To see what I mean take the free draw tool and spam it a bit, now try zooming with and without the &adjust zoom flag. If I'm to enable this, I do need to see if I can make this more efficient.

For the shapes, I could either way, makes very little difference if the border is a little thicker or thinner.

Anyway your thoughts ?

Alright, Ive had a look now. It looks pretty neat, it all seems fine like you say. I did notice the performance issues when makings lines/drawings. If I zoomed too much in, the whole thing would also freeze, and I had refresh the browser window.

Regarding the text inserts, Im not sure which is more practical between using the left corner or the center, for placement. But I think it should scale around the same point as where you clicked for placing it. Right now, you place it by its left corner, but it seems to scale around its center, so no matter what it ends up moving away from where you intended it to be (when you zoom in/out). Let me know if my explanation is unclear.

I agree, the performance thing needs to be more effecient if you implement the change for the drawings/lines. If you end up not making the change, then I have easy solution for the mean while, which is to make it easy to choose an exact magnification level. That way, it will be simple to keep the size of the lines/drawings consistent, so the final map doesnt look too messy. Right now, the magnification changes back and forth inconsistenly, and so its impossible to have the lines/drawings at consistent sizes (unless I never magnify the map).

That's pretty much what I thought as well. Let text scale but around it's left corner. Disable maginification for the draw tools for now unless I figure out a way to make it snappy.

You got a point about the magnification steps, this might sound weird coming from the one who created it, but I wonder why it does that :), shouldn't be hard to fix through.

Ok I updated the text zoom to anchor on the left corner and I made the magnification steps predictable, so zooming in and then zooming out the same number of ticks will bring you back to the same magnification level.

Even with the changes I'm still not a 100% if I should make text auto-scale the default. If you put text on the map it's mostly to label something. If I put the label to the bottom right, then scaling is fine. But if I put the text anywhere else it will still be weird/wrong.

Thanks, I can tell you really want to make it as good as possible. Ill come back with some feedback once Ive tried it out a bit more.

I've added a little forum to the website to sort of share and gather ideas. I'll still keep an eye on this thread as well of course.

Is there a slight chance this or a similar expansion of the current map system will be implemented in the base game?

I always play public and even though there are squadleaders without mic's or no will to cooperate from time to time, i would love to use this tool for those awesome games, in which everyone on the team is playing together. Such a tool could prove use for non english native speakers as lines and symbols are an international way of giving information and for that reason give a better understanding of whats going on to every Squadleader not matter where he comes from.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Is there a slight chance this or a similar expansion of the current map system will be implemented in the base game?

I always play public and even though there are squadleaders without mic's or no will to cooperate from time to time, i would love to use this tool for those awesome games, in which everyone on the team is playing together. Such a tool could prove use for non english native speakers as lines and symbols are an international way of giving information and for that reason give a better understanding of whats going on to every Squadleader not matter where he comes from.

Well... something similar was in earlier versions of the game but it was dropped out since some ppl misbehaved. I think it will become a thing on custom servers that will enforce more serious and tactical gameplay.

Posted (edited)

Gorodok and Yehorivka maps needs updating 

Thanks

Edited by .Bole

Is this thingy still up?

Because I got a white page when I want to open it!?

It's definitely still up, but one of the servers was unavailable for a few hours yesterday due to a stupid configuration error on my end, sorry for the trouble.