Tartanclad

Potential British Faction Vehicles

Hello chaps. I just wanted to put this thread down for the benefit of those of us who are interested in what future possibilities there are for vehicles in the game, particularly regarding future factions for which one is confirmed; the British. For those fans of Squad who are not familiar with the equipment of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces, I thought I’d do a speculative list of what we might come to expect, based on the roles of vehicles we’ve seen so far, what these vehicles are like in real life, and how they might play in the game. I hope it’ll interest those who are not British, simply because quite a bit of this equipment is very distinct to anything the Americans or Russians use in combat and it’ll provide a nice bit of variety into the game.

These are arranged into the roles of vehicles that we have already seen in the game, based on the Version 7 preview here: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=106. This list does not include MRAPs or Armoured Fighting Vehicles and won’t until the factions already existing receive some of their own (BTR exempted) as I want to keep expectations for the British realistic for the time being.

UPDATE: As of March 2017, this list has been updated to include vehicles based on those seen in the preview for Version 9.

Troop Transport (Unarmed)

British troop transport are not unlike the American ones (or any NATO ones for that matter)- indeed many of their patrol vehicles are modified versions of their American counterparts but they do at least have a distinctive appearance that gives the British their own style in Squad.

MAN HX60: The British Army bog-standard lorry. Made by the German defence company Rheinmetall MAN, the MAN HX60 can, I believe, carry 14 people. There’s an interesting seating frame for passengers inside designed to protect them should the transport roll-over for whatever reason.

Unlike all the other lorries in the game so far, this one has a flat face. I honestly don’t know if this make it a smaller target, or makes it easier to shoot the driver’s compartment, but at least it has a distinctive appearance compared to the M939 and the Ural. 

Troop Transport (Armed)

Mastiff 2: Basically a British version of the American Cougar. A six-wheeled vehicle with blast and small-arms protection and a top-mounted heavy weapon. It has two crew members and eight passengers, allowing a full squad to travel in relative protection and speed. Basically an all-rounder transport.

FV430 Mk3 Bulldog: A modern version of an APC that is equally as old as the American M113 and the Russian BTR. The Bulldog is an FV430/FV432 that has been upgraded with reactive armour (designed to stop RPG-7s) and IED jammers and can hold up to ten passengers plus two crew members. However, it has very little armament, consisting of a single 7.62 GPMG. Valuable for ferrying infantry into heavy combat zones or through artillery barrages, but it’ll be a waste of points to use it as a fighting vehicle.

Fire Support (Light)

British light patrol vehicles would have an interesting balance in the game. The cheaper ones would be lightly armoured and open-topped, in contrast to the likes of the American Humvee, but they have slightly more defensive weapons, a huge field of view for all their passengers (which I think, in squad, is vital) and are much faster. At first glance, they might seem too fragile, but I think in a game based on squad tactics and communication, these could be used to great effect! More recently, the British Army have been investing in MRAPs as well, largely from the Americans, but unlike the other conventional forces, they are lacking for decent remote weapon systems.

Land Rover RWMIK (Revised Weapons Mount Installation Kit): A British classic, but dated. Slowly being phased out, these land rovers were the poster boys of British Army efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq and were updated constantly throughout their service. The current version, the ‘revised’ WMIK, has 3 seats - for the driver, the side gunner (armed with a GPMG) and the main gunner. The main gun was capable of mounting any of the following; a 50. HMG, a GPMG, a 40mm GMG or even a Milan Rocket Launcher.

I think the RWMIK stands to be the cheap fire support option for British players, allowing them to field something almost as cheap as a technical while still being a conventional army. Fragile but certainly not lacking and, if used properly, can be very effective. The Milan version, if introduced, could even be an enormous thorn in the side of slower, more armoured vehicles and provide rapid anti-tank support for infantry.

Jackal 2: The more expensive fire support option for players. The Jackal 2 is a unique reconnaissance vehicle with many of the benefits of the RWMIK, and fewer drawbacks. Like the Land Rover, it has a main gun at the top and a GPMG at the front, but the jackal has better small arms protection, has better off-road handling and can preserve the lives of the occupants from IEDs and mines. Not only does it still have the decent field of view that the RWMIK has, but it is higher, providing a better firing perspective for the main gunner, which can mount the same weapons as the RWMIK (except, alas, the Mlian). Finally, the Jackal 2 has four crew slots, plus two passenger seats, in contrast to the RWMIK’s three.

Of course, the Jackal is still comparatively exposed compared to close-topped vehicles (for example, it trades the Humvee gunner's shield for that field of view), but if used correctly, I think this will be a fantastic vehicle in the hands of true Squad players and I'm more excited for this vehicle than any other in Squad.

Ridgeback: An American Cougar (4x4) in British service. This would have the ability to hold a GPMG, a 50. cal or a 40mm grenade launcher. I have no doubt that when Cougars are introduced for the US Army faction, the British will get Ridgebacks at the same time. This will contrast with the Land Rover in that it is much better protected, but will cost more points, have less visibility and only one weapon.

Panther CLV: As far as I know, this is the only light vehicle in the British Army with a remote weapons system. An Italian Iveco LMV in British service, it was intended to replace various vehciles like land rovers throughout the Armed Forces, including the British Army and the RAF Regiment, as a quick deployment or command vehicle. Regardless, I don't expect it to be particularly popular as the more common variants only mount GPMGs  in actual service, making it vastly inferior to the HUMVEE CROW already present in the game.

Fire Support (Medium)

This list of medium fire support only include vehicles with a 30mm cannon, as that is what the highest calibre in the game is at present. There are more British vehicles which we may expect to see in the future, when artillery and explosive cannons might make an appearance.

FV107 Scimitar: The Scimitar is one of the last variants of the now-retired Scorpion CVR(T) series of vehicles. Boasting a 30mm RARDEN cannon, it will play the role of a heavily armed, though fragile, scout vehicle. Although the MoD plans to retire the remaining CVR(T) vehicles in 2017 to phase in the new Ajax, I suspect the Scimitar itself will remain in limited service until the Ajax officially enters service in 2019. Either way, as I do not expect to see the Ajax in the game for a while, and the Scimitar will likely hold its place in the meantime.

FV510 Warrior :The successor to the Bulldog as the British Army's APC/IFV, we may well end up with two variants of the Warrior by the time the British roster is complete. The first would be the 30mm RARDEN variant which is the version that has served since 1988, while the second is the future upgrade to the Warrior that will mount a 40mm CT40 (the same cannon developed for the AJAX). The Warrior will likely be the British equivalent of the Russian MT-LBM 6MB IFV (30mm) - a balance of firepower and capacity, and with a crew of 2 and a passenger load of 7 (exactly the size of a squad), I think this will be a favourite in Squad.

Logistics

MAN HX60: Unsurprisingly, the troop transport lorry is also used as a logistics vehicle. I have no doubt this is going to be the British high-capacity logistics vehicle and the equivalent of the M939 and the Ural.

Coyote TSV (Tactical Support Vehicle): Whether or not this get’s introduced depends on whether the developers of Squad want to introduce armed logistics vehicles in the future. The Coyote is a modified 6x6 Jackal, designed for transporting almost 4 tons of supplies and equipment. It was designed in tandem with the Jackal 2 so they could support each other on the field.  Since V9, when FOBs will require supply to build HABs, I can see this vehicle being very popular for building frontline FOBs, given that it has the means to supply them as well as provide heavy fire support. It is, in my opinion, a beautiful vehicle, but given that it has all the same armament and protection of a Jackal 2, with only a trade-off in speed, I don’t know if it can be balanced and introduced in the game. It would certainly have a heavy ticket value if it was and squad-leaders will have to decide if trading half the supply capacity for extra firepower is worth those points. 

Wolfhound: A six-wheeled variant of the Mastiff and another armed logistics vehicle (sporting a GPMG), this was specifically designed for building and supplying FOBs in the British Army. Personally, I prefer the Coyote, but as it's based on the American Cougar (6x6) it's a likely addition to the game. (assuming, again, that armed logistics vehicles will feature).

Final Notes

- Please remember that this list is deliberately limited. It is meant to represent equivalents to vehicles that are already in the game. As such, I have not included MBTs, artillery, or anything that has a higher calibre weapon than the 30mm cannons found on the Russian MT-LBM IFV except in passing reference.

- The Ajax, while I expect it to feature eventually, is not in the list due to the fact that I don't expect it in the game for quite a while. Apart from the fact that the vehicle won't be put into official service until 2019,  I don't expect there to be much material for the developers to work with until then anyway.

- I haven't included the Husky (also known as the American MXT-MV) because I don't think it can fit any role not already taken by more iconic vehicles both in the British and US faction.

- While small unarmed vehicles like the insurgent motorbike will feature, I have not included the Foxhound or the Snatch Land Rover. I'm not sure yet if small, unarmed patrol vehicles are part of the Developer's vision for the conventional forces within Squad.

I hope this was an interesting read. I’ll update this as more types of vehicles are introduced for other factions in the game.

Edited by Tartanclad

WiFiDi   

realtisitcally from what i can tell by doing some skimming the british have a core of tracked vehicles the fv100 (CVR(T)  and fv500 warrior where as usa have much more wheeled vehciles espeicaly now.  i suppose that part hasn't changed much from the ww2 when they are fond of vehcieles supporting ground troops. 

from what little i read (quick glance at wiki indicated that  the land rover isn't' used for mainline fighting unless in special forces or at least thats what it seemed to hint.  im actually interested to see brits because they are mostly tracked vechiels which will bring a totally unique feel to them over usa. (russians seem to forgo wheels alltherger and go heavy on tracked apc and tanks.) :) 

Edited by WiFiDi

FSGMatt   

You missed all the good stuff.

Like the Chally 2, Warrior IFV and the Scimitar! I really hope the Scimitar makes it into an iteration of Squad.

I know you said based on what we have seen so far, but I imagine we will see BAF after the majority of assets have been added in game.

Also I believe the Bulldog (as in infantry role) was phased out by regular forces, as was the RWMIK. So doubt we will see either.

Edited by FSGMatt

koba   

I thought they ditched Land Rover (in any combat form) a long time ago?

I'd prefer to see those vehicles we spent billions on introducing - Mastiff, Wolfhound, Foxhound etc.

12 hours ago, FSGMatt said:

You missed all the good stuff.

Also I believe the Bulldog (as in infantry role) was phased out by regular forces, as was the RWMIK. So doubt we will see either.

8 hours ago, koba said:

I thought they ditched Land Rover (in any combat form) a long time ago?

Believe me, when we start to see proper AFVs in the game, you'd better believe that I'm going to write about our British ones! The only reason I don't really count the BTR-80 as a proper AFV is because it's a cold war relic based on an even older cold war relic (the BTR-60) and, unlike more modern AFVs, is highly lacking in modern AT armour.

Though, according to the British Army Website, both the Land Rovers and the Bulldog are sticking around for the time being. Both of them have been through an upgrade (The RWMIK is now the RWMIK+, and the Bulldog was up-armoured). Apparently they wanted to keep the Bulldogs on as armoured transports so that they can free up the Warriors for armoured infantry combat roles. Our cold war vehicles are sticking around a little longer I think.

Edited by Tartanclad

Hello chaps. Just bumping this post to say that the list has been updated to include vehicles based on those featured in the V9 vehicle preview. (This means nothing is featured that has more than a 30mm cannon.)

I hope you  find it interesting or, for those of you that don't know about British vehicles, informative!

Aren't the Brits getting the initial Ajax (Scout SV) deliveries this year? Not sure if it is just LRIP for testing or the actual first full block of vehicles. Regardless, Brits have lots of toys to play with.  

19 hours ago, Tennessee said:

Aren't the Brits getting the initial Ajax (Scout SV) deliveries this year? Not sure if it is just LRIP for testing or the actual first full block of vehicles. Regardless, Brits have lots of toys to play with.  

You're absolutely correct; the first delivery of the Ajax comes in 2017, but for reasons that I'm not specifically aware (I had to google LRIP, but that seems to be a likely reason), they will not equipped by any particular unit until 2019, to then be put into active service the following year. 

21 hours ago, Voice said:

Not enough picture and such.

I didn't want to clutter the thread with mismatching images and distract people from the text. If you really want me to, perhaps I can put links to other websites that have pictures of these vehicles.

Edited by Tartanclad

13 hours ago, Tartanclad said:

You're absolutely correct; the first delivery of the Ajax comes in 2017, but for reasons that I'm not specifically aware (I had to google LRIP, but that seems to be a likely reason), they will not equipped by any particular unit until 2019, to then be put into active service the following year. 

I didn't want to clutter the thread with mismatching images and distract people from the text. If you really want me to, perhaps I can put links to other websites that have pictures of these vehicles.

2019 isn't too far away and considering how much of their armor is getting replaced (and how many of their new platforms will based on Ajax) it might be worth taking a look at. That thermal camo is crazy. Can't wait to see how it holds up against current tech. 

I too am excited for the introduction of the Brits to squad.

What would really be good to see is if the Devs tailor map vehicle layouts to represent specific Battle Group (BG) arrangements. So we could see an Armd BG against the Russians but then a Lt Role Inf  BG or PM BG against militia or ins. Reflecting the A2020R doctrine.