absolfd

Is the game worth buying in its current state?

Im a huge fan of games like this I spent hours and hours on Project Reality and I was really excited to see squad come out. Is it worth the 40$? or should I wait abit longer

v7 has a few hickups like crashes and physics freakouts but other than that, the core gameplay has arrived. Some people still have performance issues but they'll be fleshed out. in my opinion, now is the time to get into Squad.

I can't tell you how to spend your money. Personally I have thoroughly enjoyed my time for my money, even having "overpaid" for a higher package in Kickstarter.

If you are coming from Project Reality, the thing to remember is that the quantity of content is nowhere near that level yet - you have 4 factions currently (which is a lot for most games, but PR had like a billion) decent map variety helped by a couple varied gamemodes and different layouts, quite a decent collection of weapons, and only about 4 really different vehicles currently (transport flatbeds, HMMWVs, technicals, and the BTR). 

As Rich posted there are some hiccups especially with performance in this latest patch. It has some rough spots and pimples, some crashes, wacky glitches (flying trucks), things like that. If you've seen an early access game and thought "why would they release something with bugs" maybe hold off for a while. If you've been a part of the development process before, maybe forged some great memories through closed testing (Rising Storm development testing was great fun), you probably already know what to expect.

However the gameplay is feeling really good. You have FOBs being built, intense and often sustained firefights, supply trucks dropping off supplies, and armed convoys patrolling the battlefield - and its only going to get better with that base foundation down.

Edited by Foist

34 minutes ago, Foist said:

I can't tell you how to spend your money. Personally I have thoroughly enjoyed my time for my money, even having "overpaid" for a higher package in Kickstarter.

If you are coming from Project Reality, the thing to remember is that the quantity of content is nowhere near that level yet - you have 4 factions currently (which is a lot for most games, but PR had like a billion) decent map variety helped by a couple varied gamemodes and different layouts, quite a decent collection of weapons, and only about 4 really different vehicles currently (transport flatbeds, HMMWVs, technicals, and the BTR). 

As Rich posted there are some hiccups especially with performance in this latest patch. It has some rough spots and pimples, some crashes, wacky glitches (flying trucks), things like that. If you've seen an early access game and thought "why would they release something with bugs" maybe hold off for a while. If you've been a part of the development process before, maybe forged some great memories through closed testing (Rising Storm development testing was great fun), you probably already know what to expect.

However the gameplay is feeling really good. You have FOBs being built, intense and often sustained firefights, supply trucks dropping off supplies, and armed convoys patrolling the battlefield - and its only going to get better with that base foundation down.

To add to that last paragraph, I just had a match on Fool's Road where the ENTIRE Russian team mounted up in our BTRs, smoked a field and crossed it, we then dismounted and charged an entrenched enemy militia. It was a textbook Soviet Assault and it happened on the fly with barely any coordination and it made me feel like I was playing Steel Beasts. Something that insanely epic and scripted/movie feeling can't even be found in Battlefield, a game franchise which in recent installments has aimed at having scripted events triggered by players to change the gameplay.

Edited by Rich8
reword

Hello absolfd, welcome to the forums :D 

Simple:

IF you CAN live with issues, bugs and unoptimizations, then an EARLY ACCESS title like SQUAD is something for you.

But you HAVE to accept that things will be worked on, change, and be annoying for some time until they get resolved.

There are flaws at present, but Devs are working at them, even with these flaws I'm still playing. Watch some videos  get the feel. It's got the PR vibe even more so with the added vehicles. End of the day it's up to you

don't buy wait that 's the only word, wyouwill not play after buying because of frequent crashes so no need to pay with this state

25 minutes ago, Smee said:

There are flaws at present, but Devs are working at them, even with these flaws I'm still playing. Watch some videos  get the feel. It's got the PR vibe even more so with the added vehicles. End of the day it's up to you

what is mtbf (mean time between failure) for your game ? for my game max 20 min..So in the game like squad it's killing the joy completely.

This game can't play with this condition

Edited by Togisan

4 minutes ago, Smee said:

Play the inf maps it's not crashing 

ok tell this tale server managers , there are not much inf map on servers..

If you want to join the journey and can put up with a difficult road then there should be nothing stopping you.

If your expecting a stable feature complete experience and demand nothing less then you're better to wait.

Yeah its worth it. You should buy it now ;)

The game is only in alpha stage. Once it hits beta a lot of kinks will be out of the game then they can focus on adding lots of content. 

Sir,if you have the patience & understand the meaning of Alpha & like so many others ,100% believe/trust in our Dev's with the development of this awesome game.

Then Yes!.

There's Not gonna be nothink like this,Outhere!.:)

7 hours ago, absolfd said:

Im a huge fan of games like this I spent hours and hours on Project Reality and I was really excited to see squad come out. Is it worth the 40$? or should I wait abit longer

not yet

People have to understand that purchasing an "Early Access Game" is not "buying the game in its current state" it is investing in the development of the game. 

One can do this for any reason they want but Early Access exists to help fund projects to completion and in exchange for your help in funding the project the development company gives you "early access" to the game in the state it is. 

You are not buying the game in the current state you are helping fund it to get to the release state. 

Don't consider if the game is worth playing right now. Some days it is better than any game I've ever played. Some days I can't play it. I backed the kickstarter at the maximum price I could get away with (without my wife giving me a black eye lol) and haven't regretted a cent which was INVESTED in OWI. I don't play much right now, but I play enough to know that at some point in the future I will play 500-1000 hours in this game. It's a freaking BARGIN. When people struggle over spending $35 on it I giggle a bit inside. If money is tight for you, then maybe buying any game is not a good idea for you. If you have the money to spend, AND you realize you're investing in the future not purchasing the game as it is today then from my point of view it is an easy decision. 

EDIT: One massive benefit to looking at it this way is when, not if, times come when there are serious problems with the game or lots of people are having performance issues I just take it in stride. My eye is on the goal and my goal is not to have a great game today, but to have a great game at release. 

Edited by RaTzo
Adding selling points!

It was worth that money in previous version and the one before that aswell. Considering the fact what Squad offers its pretty unique and no other game can provide that to you at the moment (except ofcourse PR). With v7 tactical and more proper battles and gunfights have arrived. Its tons of more fun now then in previous version, be that is infantry combat or vehicle...

Please don't turn this into a debate, give your opinion and don't worry about what everyone else is saying.

Edited by Foist

2 hr Steam refund.  No risk in trying.

Yes, the game is worth it.  They've run 1 sale in 6 months, 25% off, so no telling when the next sale will be.

If you're AMD CPU, unless you're top of line, you'll have problems right now.  Let us know your specs if you want opinions on how well it will run.

2 hr Steam refund.  No risk in trying.

Edited by CageMatchKimsey

Unless you have a high end rig (like really decent) and patience, I would recommend waiting for the beta at the very least.

You should definitely get it, I've had some of the best gaming moments I've ever had because of SQUAD, it's loads of fun. Just understand that it is early access and with the newest update there is some issues, If you have patience and faith in the dev team, then get it. 

Coming from PR, no.

The gameplay is a lot different.

-no kit dropping, they have more or less confirmed they will never implement it.

-claim system is still not fleshed out, its going in the wrong direction in my opinion.

-performance and map design is not great, but Il give it a pass on that as it is still in alpha.

-the stamina system is a mess for now, but hopefully they get their sences back together.

-overall my opinion is that they are sacraficing gameplay for realism, and a lot of the time it doesnt make sense (crawling takes away stamina???no kit dropping??????)

The only reason you should buy this game is for the low price right now, but you are putting money on the table for a game that you and the devs dont see the same way. The PR formula wasnt perfect, but this is not the way to fix that. There is just a level of pub gameplay casualness that they arent hitting (like they had this idea of you walking all the way back to the fob and building a medical center to for your broken leg ect.), if you mentioned this idea on the PR forums they would laugh their asses off and nobody would play it.

In my opinon they are making it for a different crowd, rather than what the PR crow is, and was all this time. I get that they had ideas and they couldnt implement them cuz of the engine, but because of those limitations we got something so much better than an army sim or arma (pukes) 3. ect.

Its up to you, but I would wait for more gameplay changes before I would buy, I dont regret it now, but I will if they dont turn it around in the next couple of months.

Edited by xtali
spelling

Do not buy this game right now. There are serious performance and stability issues, even for people with high end systems. The vehicles are extremely buggy. Development has been sloooooow to say the least, vehicles were six months late and are a total mess. Wait at least a few more months. 

1. Squad (in its early access  alpha stages ) is truly worth buying but you have to be patient, and let  the developers fix the bugs.  :D

2. This is not EA where they slap a full game together and then release it with game breaking bugs.  :/

3.  SQUAD IS AND WILL BE BETTER THEN ANY TRIPLE AAA TITLES WHEN IT'S FINISHED !  :P

@  $39.99  You can't beat that !!!  O.o

Edited by Devastation