absolfd

Is the game worth buying in its current state?

You're going to buy the game anyway, you might as well buy it now!

I only crash about once every hour. I just reconnect. No big deal.

Honest answer: Best game on the market for FPS and teamwork
Currently the game has a lot of fatal errors which make for a highly frustrating experience. Honestly, some people are luckier than others so just buy the game and wait for the hotfix that will come..... eventually.... :/

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:46 PM, absolfd said:

Im a huge fan of games like this I spent hours and hours on Project Reality and I was really excited to see squad come out. Is it worth the 40$? or should I wait abit longer

If you have a high end intel based PC then yes.  If you have any AMD systems its like Russian roulette.  I have a Phenom II quad core at 3.3ghz and 8gb ram with a GTX950 and as long as the server has under 40 people the game is very playable.  As soon as the player count goes over 40 the fps tanks down to sub 20's.

The game is a lot of fun when it is working. Last patch I was getting 40-70 FPS pretty consistently, 40 being in a huge firefight and 70 being while not much was going on. Current patch it seems to really fluctuate based on the server I am on ( not population ). Some servers I'm getting 18-22 while others I'm getting 30-50.

If you have an AMD I wouldn't bother since there seems to be a  problem with that brand and UE4.

On 17.8.2016 at 0:01 AM, xtali said:

-overall my opinion is that they are sacraficing gameplay for realism, and a lot of the time it doesnt make sense (crawling takes away stamina???no kit dropping??????)

Explain how that "doesn't make sense".

I'm willing to bet you have never been in the army, or any kind of armed forces. All my money, my house, my car, all of it.

My point is: Don't make claims you can't support due to lack of actual knowledge.

Not the first time I noticed you spreading nonsense in this board...

@OP

Wait until V8, at least. If V8 runs good, go get it and you won't regret it.

Right now, it is rather underwhelming, solely due to technical problems, soon to be addressed by the dev team.

Edited by Lethargo

Before V7 I would've said Yes! but I don't think it's worth it having your first 10+ hours in a game ruined by bugs and bad optimization. Wait for V7.5-8 IMO

What's up with optimization? I have really good fps after last hot-fix. Yeah, it still has crashes here and there, but god damn, finally I can play at least one round with good fps and OMFG VEHICLES!

By the way spotted a thhread on steam, which can help win10 users http://steamcommunity.com/app/393380/discussions/0/361798516946646062/

Completely dependent on what you're looking for out of the game. Right now the gameplay is acceptable even if the content is minimal and, in some areas, sloppy. I play it and enjoy playing it regardless of this fact. Currently there's no optimization work done, which means that it takes a decent computer built in the last year or so to run it with good frames (R9 380 + i7-6700k = ~55fps on most maps on high settings). 

The maps all feel massive and the in-game community is slowly improving, but at the same time there's none of that "stretching the limitation" charm that made PR as great as it was. The gunplay is also something that needs to be worked on, and thankfully that's one of the next major focuses. All this being said, you can't expect a game that's not even released yet to be anywhere near as good as a game that's ten years old. There's just nowhere near as much time to perfect the craft. 

If I had the chance to do it all again I'd probably hold off. I like the game, but I'm not particularly pleased with certain aspects of the out-of-game community (such as the subreddit, some developer responses, some posts that deserve responses but lack them, some excuses, etc.) and it's to the point where I would seriously consider not ever purchasing the game had I not done it when I did. That being said, for every negative community/dev member that makes me want to turn away, there's one worth talking to that'll reinvigorate your faith in the game. 

I'm eagerly waiting for the slight jumping effect of the iron sight, why? Because without it the scoped weapons are overpowering the game for me to the point where as a standard rifleman I might as well not respawn at all and waste the ticket, rather just wait for the scoped weapon to free up. Why it would solve the issue because no blurry effect is ever gonna stop me from returning accurate fire and I've posted numerous screenshots how I never managed to kill even close the number with the iron-sighted weapon of what I did with the scoped rifle.

Once the resting weapons on object feature is implemented, so should sway be massively increased when standing up, (when crouch only slightly lesser sway, and even lesser when prone), bigger penalties while being shot (increase of sway etc). As said again, no blurry screen ever gonna stop me returning accurate fire and that is what is slightly putting me off from playing it. I don't want to go off and start picking enemies off one by one with my scoped rifle. I want a squad slowly approaching while suppressing enemy positions and the suppression being actually effective by making the soldier that is pinned down having a shaking effect of the iron sight. And this is where it will help to not make scoped rifles so overpowered because with the bigger zoom that they have you're bound to have a bigger jumping effect as well. This is where the use of the scoped weapons won't be used in the open while standing up but from hidden unexposed positions as it should be, not charged face-on at the enemy and being able to stand up, return accurate fire while being poured bullets on you.

If you want to go out on the battlefield and dominate enemies with your scoped rifle, then yes it's good, but not when you want a sensible squad long-lasting firefights between riflemen using suppression to pin down the enemy and then slowly moving up. It's more about picking everyone off atm, unless you're into constantly trying to sneak up behind the enemy with your iron-sighted weapon and shoot him in the back because no engagement will be ever won between an iron-sighted weapon vs the scoped rifle with except of maybe extreme rare occasions.

So I deeply hope this game will improve the gunplay by having suppression system that actually makes you duck for cover and that simulates the fear that soldiers have of losing their lifes because no blurry effect is gonna stop me returning accurate fire right now. It needs a tiny flinch of the iron-sight.

On the positive note: the game visually looks stunning, very pretty looking maps.

Edited by Friesen

No, avoid this game at all cost. It isn't going to be the PR upgrade so many of us were hoping for. PR is free right now and is and most likely will always be the superior game if development continues at this rate.

Lol, it is funny how so many haters telling others how bad this game is, and they are still here, and I bet they will be here forever. Cmon if the game was really that bad, none of you would be here anymore, you would have moved on to other games already. Sigh.

I say buy it, because Squad is unique to the point even the players who hate it can't leave it :D

5 hours ago, GreaseGunner said:

PR is free right now and is and most likely will always be the superior game if development continues at this rate.

PR has been in development for 10~ years and still is. Tell when the last major update for PR was released huh? Your argument is invalid. There's new content coming out for Squad every 2 months.

@OP If you like Project Peality, you'll like Squad, but first i suggest you familiarize yourself with a term "Early Access". You must be prepared that a lot of features don't exist yet, things are buggy or broken. E.g: Game in the current state tends to crash from time to time, especially at the beggining of a round. It used to be much worse 2 weeks ago, they patch it when they can because most of the devs are at Gamescom now. If you can deal with the possible issues you might encounter, then you'll love Squad.

5 hours ago, GreaseGunner said:

No, avoid this game at all cost. It isn't going to be the PR upgrade so many of us were hoping for. PR is free right now and is and most likely will always be the superior game if development continues at this rate.

Sad really mate,joins the forum just to give negative vibes man.

PR is using an old BF engine,the team have done amazing job keeping it all together. 

Maybe in the not distant future,we can expect a mod called PRSquad.

• Squad is the future,End off! ...Do you want to be a part of this?.:P

Those who give constructive criticism are not haters, the criticism actually means they care about the game and they're hoping it'll improve. But if someone says "to avoid the game" then idk but I guess he has a right to state his own opinion.

But the main thing is those who are always in the stalemate, don't like to criticize at all and don't strive for improvements are more likely to go on to other games because sooner or later they'll get bored getting out of spawn and being sniped repeatedly when they engage using just the iron sight weapon... It's those that give constructive criticsm are the ones who want the game to improve because they care about it and see it as a hope for the future.

Edited by Friesen

4 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Sad really mate,joins the forum just to give negative vibes man.

PR is using an old BF engine,the team have done amazing job keeping it all together. 

Maybe in the not distant future,we can expect a mod called PRSquad.

• Squad is the future,End off! ...Do you want to be a part of this?.:P

Yeah, there is a reason I bought this game before early access and still have it installed. I WANT it to be the great game I thought it was going to be but I don't think it is a game that is worth paying for just yet and if you were hoping that this would be like PR then I would say avoid it.

Edited by GreaseGunner

GreaseGunner is being perfectly reasonable when he says this game is not worth someones money at this stage.

I too love Squad at its core and hope that the developers get it together but for now this game is a buggy, unstable mess and progress has been slow enough that anyone looking at this objectively should have serious doubts about whether or not this game is going to come together anytime soon. 

For now I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone, especially after watching vehicles arrive six months overdue and completely half baked in a patch that for the most part just broke the game.

On August 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM, absolfd said:

Im a huge fan of games like this I spent hours and hours on Project Reality and I was really excited to see squad come out. Is it worth the 40$? or should I wait abit longer

Oh god. So many posts and I don't think I've seen anything about what your specs are to see if you can even run it with the current optimization issues. If you could post your specs here that would be a good start, the game is VERY CPU intensive.

Edited by Catindabox

On 18.08.2016. at 1:05 AM, Lethargo said:

Explain how that "doesn't make sense".

I'm willing to bet you have never been in the army, or any kind of armed forces. All my money, my house, my car, all of it.

My point is: Don't make claims you can't support due to lack of actual knowledge.

Not the first time I noticed you spreading nonsense in this board...

@OP

Wait until V8, at least. If V8 runs good, go get it and you won't regret it.

Right now, it is rather underwhelming, solely due to technical problems, soon to be addressed by the dev team.

So not going to a combat zone makes me "lack of actual knowledge.".

I guess only active army members know what it takes to put on full gear and go prone, or I guess it take 10 000 hours in games to know what you want from gameplay.

BTW its not nonsense if 90% of people in PR have the same thoughts, just look at the PR forums, and why do you care anyway?You are going beyond agro on me man, chill. All I want is for this game to be good and go in the right direction.

Btw on the sniper argument "German doctrine of largely independent snipers and emphasis on concealment developed during the Second World War have been most influential on modern sniper tactics, currently used throughout Western militaries (examples are specialized camouflage clothing, concealment in terrain and emphasis on coup d'œil)."

The changing of roles I already qouted, so yea, there you go, might want to watch a little less army movies, and read some books.

Edited by xtali

To be fair, while crawling with a kevlar vest, full gear and a weapon can be tiresome, and including a stamina penalty for crawling in the game is "realistic" I'd rather see they did away with it, seeing as they are going for a milsim light approach. It is a bit jarring to loose stamina while crawling, yet you can stay in iron sights mode forever without any sway or stamina penalty.

EDIT:

I strongly disagree with the whole kit pickup thing. It would deviate from the gameplay and lead to a lot of smart asses suiciding for each other to swap weapons and what not. Or idiots taking big risks trying tro grab a desired weapon from a team mate. Besides it would really suck to die while wielding the LMG or AT, get revived and find that someone stole your stuff.

Edited by Kneecap

On 20. 8. 2016 at 9:42 AM, Intrane said:

What's up with optimization? I have really good fps after last hot-fix. Yeah, it still has crashes here and there, but god damn, finally I can play at least one round with good fps and OMFG VEHICLES!

By the way spotted a thhread on steam, which can help win10 users http://steamcommunity.com/app/393380/discussions/0/361798516946646062/

I've actually lost almost 20 fps after last hotfix.

Dunno what Xbox DVR even is...

It's completely worth buying.  However there has been severe performance issues since v5.  Game is still playable but just an FYI.

On August 21, 2016 at 0:48 PM, GreaseGunner said:

Yeah, there is a reason I bought this game before early access and still have it installed. I WANT it to be the great game I thought it was going to be but I don't think it is a game that is worth paying for just yet and if you were hoping that this would be like PR then I would say avoid it.

(EDIT this is meant to reference your post before the one quoted, I dont have to time to change that on my phone)

You'd think you would understand that PR had 10+ years of development to get where it is today and Squad has been in Alpha for less than a year.

I really shouldn't have to get into how that affects what state each one is in.

Also you should really put some reasoning behind statements like: "IT WILL NEVER BE GOOD OMG WONT BE ANYTHING LIKE PR " when it isn't even out of Alpha yet.

Edited by Catindabox

I probably would wait until they fix the constant crashing issues with vehicles.  But for sure this is a game to have.  It just is unplayable right now with constant crashes.  Mass server exodus and stuff.  You get everything setup then 2 mins later 3/4 of the server is booted or fatal errored and everything you did is undone  kinda sucks

On 22.8.2016 at 8:13 PM, xtali said:

...might want to watch a little less army movies, and read some books.

Unlike you, I actually spend time behind a high powered scope in the German Army, but sure, whatever you say.

What do I know...