Lord Bepis

Fix for fatal error on GTX cards, Update your Nvidia drivers

Since V7 came out I'd been experiencing fatal errors, memory dumps and my frame rate would vary from 29-44fps. 

Before V7 went live, my GTX 970 and i5 were running it just fine, crashes were rare.

Good news!

I've found a solution to these issues I've been encountering, it's working like used before the update!

I opened GeForce experience and updated the GPU driver to the latest version, once it was done I restarted the PC and booted up squad.

What I found was that my frame rate was much more consistent at 39-45fps, the game isn't having any fatal errors and that it's not having any memory dumps, however when I close the game it says that the "memory can't be read", but I don't think that's an issue as I can actually play the game now.

I'm not sure if it works on all Nvidia GPUs (AMD is out of the question) but it may be of use to anyone who's running a GTX.

If it works let me know, thank you.

Edited by Lord Bepis

Glad that this worked for you. I installed a new 1060 yesterday with the new drivers and still get the crashes. When running squad my gpu usage is 50-60% and my cpu usuage is peaking at 99-100%. This didnt happen pre update but i was also using a 750ti. Im running an i5 4460 running at 3.4 GHZ with the new gigabyte 1060 and 16 ghz of ram at 1600hmz. Frames are sitting around 35-40 fps

First thing I checked was if my drivers were up to date, still getting lower frames than before. Crashes happen from time to time but not too much. 

I can't update my gtx 580 drivers to the latest version. If I do, I will get the "shadows of doom", where all the shadows are completely black and block everything that's 30m or further away.

Can mods change the title please, updating your drivers should be among the 1st things you try to fix something, title is very misleading.

Temp fix released on discord and steam forums, by SuicidalChair. Smooths that file/performance guy found this method out. Has worked for me, 3 games, no fatal errors.

This comes from one of our discord users who has been tinkering with optimization with files etc. He has tested this and gotten a few other discord members to test it as well and he played 10 games in a row without any crashes.

open steam, right click "Squad" and click "Properties"
go to the "Local Files" tab
Click "Browse Local Files"
go to Squad\Config

open DefaultEngine.ini with notepad
look for: bSubstepping=True
change True to False
Save.

If you notice no difference it may be safer to revert the changes.
doing this may have a negative affect on how smooth vehicles drive for you (make look jittery)

Edited by Dubs

44 minutes ago, JimmyJazz said:

on what graphic settings are you playing Bepis ?

I'm running it on high settings with some settings disabled or on medium

2 hours ago, Dubs said:

Temp fix released on discord and steam forums, by SuicidalChair. Smooths that file/performance guy found this method out. Has worked for me, 3 games, no fatal errors.

This comes from one of our discord users who has been tinkering with optimization with files etc. He has tested this and gotten a few other discord members to test it as well and he played 10 games in a row without any crashes.

open steam, right click "Squad" and click "Properties"
go to the "Local Files" tab
Click "Browse Local Files"
go to Squad\Config

open DefaultEngine.ini with notepad
look for: bSubstepping=True
change True to False
Save.

If you notice no difference it may be safer to revert the changes.
doing this may have a negative affect on how smooth vehicles drive for you (make look jittery)

Does this fix the crashes and FPS issues ?

4 minutes ago, elastic donkey said:

Does this fix the crashes and FPS issues ?

Just tried... didn't for me. It's still crash lottery for me :)

The substepping aka dubstepping method doesn't resolve the crash. We tested this last night.

Maybe it has something to do with how vehicles are spawned. Have the vehicles spawn a little more off the ground so they fall. Could that explain why it crashes at the beginning of matches? And maybe even as new vehicles spawn in

Edited by Waldo

6 hours ago, Lord Bepis said:

I'm running it on high settings with some settings disabled or on medium

How much FPS you get ?

Edited by JimmyJazz

7 hours ago, Spectral said:

The substepping aka dubstepping method doesn't resolve the crash. We tested this last night.

For some reason, I stopped getting crashes last night after using False, Substepping. 3 games in a row, no crashes, not even the feared map change fatal error. It done something for me somehow.

Also verify integrity of game cache. It seemed to help not crash anymore either. I was able to play 2 full matches with out crashing out. I noticed people were still crashing out but me after doing so. 

On 8/13/2016 at 7:55 PM, MesaBoogie said:

Also verify integrity of game cache. It seemed to help not crash anymore either. I was able to play 2 full matches with out crashing out. I noticed people were still crashing out but me after doing so. 

You tried reinstalling it? I tried that and I've had much more success with running the game, crashes are not as common and I can play more than three games, It hasn't really crashed.

I did once have similar issues with the game before, I was having fatal errors when booting up so I had no choice but to reinstall it, after that it was running like normal again.

Update

On the day I reinstalled it, it was working fine, played it two days later and it's doing the same old thing

Edited by Lord Bepis