macgeifer

Destroyable Wrecks

any plans to make wrecks destroyable or is roadblocking a feature?

i thought about multiple rpg hits or c4-charges to clear important roads.

regards mac

38 minutes ago, RoyAwesome said:

We've talked about being able to use your shovel on them in the future

Can't we give wrecks some physics? Go on, pretty please. Then we could use our heavier vehicles to smash lighter ones out of the way in true road warrior style. Maybe even use more powerful explosives like rockets. I'd love to know why it's not possible from a development side if that is the case.

Ramming would be good but make your vehicle suffer some damage. The only way I see explosives used is to completely destroy the wreck as shooting an RPG at it wouldnt really do much except blow more parts off. I have found wrecks to be pretty useful by parking a BTR behind it and pretty much making a hull down position with only the turret exposed.

1 hour ago, RoyAwesome said:

have to say...an easy and good solution. i like it.

Physics is very heavy on the server.  That's why you are seeing rubber banding.  We, unfortunately, do not live in a world where we can just throw in all kinds of little things like that.  Eventually, there will just be too many wrecks with physics running and the server (and your client) will just have low FPS.  

4 minutes ago, RoyAwesome said:

Physics is very heavy on the server.  That's why you are seeing rubber banding.  We, unfortunately, do not live in a world where we can just throw in all kinds of little things like that.  Eventually, there will just be too many wrecks with physics running and the server (and your client) will just have low FPS.  

Is there a way you can turn on/off physics for wrecks when another vehicle is close? Seems like a solution but then I don't really know what's involved and if that's even possible.

Just have the wrecks dissapear eventually like most games problem solved (isn't this already the case in Squad?).

38 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Just have the wrecks dissapear eventually like most games problem solved (isn't this already the case in Squad?).

No, wrecks stay for the rest of the round.

22 hours ago, RoyAwesome said:

I know the old saw "a shovel is the infantryman's best friend" but frankly its getting a little ridiculous. Shoveling simulator 2016 is not a game I want to play. You guys need to be reducing the amount of shoveling needed in game. Not increase it. Especially when it comes to dealing with hostile fortifications.

TLDR: stop what you are doing and give us mortars already!

I have to agree with PolishKruk. Although using your shovel to remove a wreck would work it's a bit of a cheap solution to the problem. It's not realistic or logical and, as he points out, we do enough shoveling as it is. Even if we cannot give wrecks physics perhaps we can interact with them using other vehicles to move them a little either by towing (now there is a thing) or pushing. Maybe in the future we could use c4 / mortar to make them disappear.

TLDR: I'd prefer a better solution than shoveling. Any suggestions anyone?

On 12/08/2016 at 9:29 AM, RoyAwesome said:

+1

On 12.8.2016 at 11:26 PM, RoyAwesome said:

Eventually, there will just be too many wrecks with physics running and the server (and your client) will just have low FPS.  

What do you mean, wreck-physics? Wrecks are not moving, so no server load, or what do you mean exactly?

Posted (edited)

Sooo, *Bump*

Please put in some way to destroy wrecks. Right now Al Basrah can get pretty much broken if the US side takes advantage of the fact that wrecks can't be removed. Unlike building a FOB or rushing a flag there is pretty much nothing that can be done once wrecks block off the bridges. And I bet this won't be the last time that one team will be reliant on bridges to advance on some future maps.

It's simply unfair, and while this game is going for a mix of realism and immersion, it still needs balance or you will wind up with a map where it just won't be enjoyable to play on the Insurgent side.

Once a map has been in circulation long enough a pattern of strategy and tactics will evolve, and I really hope that strategy won't involve abusing unfinished (I hope) mechanics.

Edited by Daniel.F
Added an argument

@Daniel.F Don't worry shovelling/destroying vehicle wrecks is going to happen. It might even be a thing in v10 as I don't think it would be hard to implement as it's already in for buildable assets. Al Basrah has pushed its importance to the fore so it needs sorting sooner than just the devs getting around to it at some point.

The insurgents don't have that type and it's their problem really. 

On 2017-06-19 at 11:48 AM, Green_Sword said:

3728188145.jpg

2592900455.jpg

Real solution

Well, while it's a cool idea and all I don't see it working as an in-game solution since one rpg/lat-round would kill anyone inside that thing. Not really a front-line vehicle (correct me if I'm wrong). Plus militia-factions most likely wouldn't have anything remotely armored of its kind.

Plus, tanks would fill that role either way. I just want to see shoveling wrecks become a thing (at the very least). Or towing using a tow-line which would only require temporary physics to not drag down the performance for players and coding the mechanic it-self. This would also go hand in hand with potential mechanics for disabling vehicles in the future. 

Edited by Daniel.F