TzeAzzazino

Infantry/Vehicle formation system and squad management

Something i always found missing in PR was a better way to maintain formations within infantry squads. since from my experience this is something infantry uses heavily on basically every organised army i thought that squad could provide an easy way of doing this.

some of my ideas:

- a menu in the game (something like squad management) that let's you set up and customize your own infantry or vehicle squads and formations. Just a simple screen that lets you click and drag the different soldiers and/or vehicles and roles onto a template which shows their position, their arcs and what role they have and lets you name this formation (like: File, Staggered file, Extended line, Arrowhead, circle etc.). So as a squad leader you would be able to select this formation (the same way construction is in the game right now) and then will show all of your squad members the formation you have selected in their hud and will show every squad member a little marker in the hud that floats around the landscape which is a bit faded (like in arma) that you will only see when you are within formation range of the squad leader (a range also the squad leader can select) which shows you what your position should be and what arcs you should have.

- also within this menu i thought it would have to be possible to set up templates for a complete squad (or maybe even a platoon) in which you would be able to customize the sizes of your squad limited to what the devs ofcourse find balanced for a team. i think this customisation should be possible since different countries and use different set-ups for squads which they prefer (some use 8-10 man infantry squads and some use around 14) cause recon squads mostly only have a few men inside it with lighter gear and assault squads have the heavier gear and more men so more firepower. 

i think this idea would really boost and improve teamwork and boost the whole ''Squad'' principle since it is really hard to maintain and hold formations and organize squads when you don't have a 180 degrees field of view, i personally don't like a too crowded hud since it most of the times takes away a part of realism but just a little marker will boost the way squads will start operating and that will boost the realism in the way squads work and operate on every spot. attacking with your squad and all sprinting in the same direction in some weird blob formation and not knowing where your marksman or your machine gunner is heading? or attacking with your squad and moving in a almost perfect extended line perfectly organised for the best superiority in a firefight?

please let me know what you guys think of this and if this would be able to be done inside squad and let me know if there would be ways to improve this.

Free look is the answer to formations. Literally.

Free look is the answer to formations. Literally.

Free look will let you watch into a direction when you are still moving in the same direction as you were, irl you can look into the same direction as your attacking and still see your buddys in your eye corners this is because you have full 180 degrees view irl. also in real life turning your head for a split second is easier done than in a game where you have to press a button and then drag your mouse to the direction you want and won't always be as precise as irl

Not quite 180 degrees and you're probably talking about peripheral vision which, if I remember right, ranges up to 110 degrees (horizontally)? That means just bumping up your field of view to the 85-90 mark in most games is enough, even if they don't have free look.

Also, I'm not sure how slow you are with a mouse and keyboard but it's near enough the same speed if you take other aspects of a game into consideration. If you're turning your head for a split second then your brain isn't going to make much sense of the information you've seen because it will be a blur. In a game you don't even need to rotate your head as much as in real life because your peripheral vision is already focused.

If you're an ARMA player then you should know. Formations are easy to learn, you don't need markers on your screen to tell you where to stand. Unless you're in line formation you only have to worry about the person in your immediate field of vision which means you don't even need free look. With something such as being on line you would obviously want to check left and right, but what's the point in displaying markers for formation on your screen when you would still have to look for them on either side at which point you're either using free look or moving your whole character? This is exactly why STHUD exists.. and there's been enough topics on that already. With free floating markers on the game world terrain as you mentioned you would need the SL to be able to set formations... like you do in ARMA. Does Squad play like it requires formations to win or be effective?

Lets say I'm the 2nd man on the right from the point in a wedge formation. I only need to adjust my own movement to make sure I'm not too close to the guy in front of me and that counts for everyone else behind me. This means markers are irrelevant and all I need to remember is the formation and to keep decent spacing. The first man doesn't need to worry, he's the one who sets the pace and everyone keeps up. There, didn't even need free look OR markers on my screen.

Also, another big factor is adjusting your field of view. That combined with free look... just go test it in ARMA for yourself if you don't believe it. Play in formation with some friends without any HUD markers and unbind free look and then play it with free look.

Edit: Tactical blob formations are the best.

i understand your point of view though it is pretty much impossible to use formations on a public server in a squad with people you don't know. with some kind of ''push in the right direction'' i think this problem could be solved. and still my even without the marker things i still find that there should be some way of managing your squad. being able to choose the amount of guys inside of your squad and what roles are possible in your squad before the round starts so everyone as a squad leader can decide what he finds most effective and most fitting for himself to manage

i understand your point of view though it is pretty much impossible to use formations on a public server in a squad with people you don't know. with some kind of ''push in the right direction'' i think this problem could be solved. and still my even without the marker things i still find that there should be some way of managing your squad. being able to choose the amount of guys inside of your squad and what roles are possible in your squad before the round starts so everyone as a squad leader can decide what he finds most effective and most fitting for himself to manage

I don't know man, I've played plenty of PR games where a random group of 8 of us is able to get into a line or a column formation with ease. Not many of the other formations are really applicable in a game environment in my experience, I've never experienced a situation where I'd rather have had an Arrowhead than a column.

Also, it forces player interaction, for SL's to teach their squadmates new movements and formations.

I do like your idea of having a way for a squad leader to assign kits to their squad members. Maybe you could opt yourself in to be allocated a kit, that way you cant really abuse the system too much.

I don't know man, I've played plenty of PR games where a random group of 8 of us is able to get into a line or a column formation with ease. Not many of the other formations are really applicable in a game environment in my experience, I've never experienced a situation where I'd rather have had an Arrowhead than a column.

Also, it forces player interaction, for SL's to teach their squadmates new movements and formations.

I do like your idea of having a way for a squad leader to assign kits to their squad members. Maybe you could opt yourself in to be allocated a kit, that way you cant really abuse the system too much.

SLs assigning kits has been discussed already in pretty great detail, search the forums for more of that.

i would REALLY REALLY love an ingame tool to tell others what formation do you nees,for examples when you have peoples that dont understand english