CatintheHat

How to set core affinity

Have looked at most of the server instructions but cant find anything on how to assign a server to a core.  I guess it is in the command line.  Any suggestions ?

Also with those that get reserved slot access.  What if I want to give it to people with no admin privs.  So I set up say lets call it a donor category and give it no admin privs and then allocate it to those people.  

Just like how I set up admins, super admins and moderators ?

Edited by CatintheHat

Hmmm, gunna need a little bit more knowledge than a link.

Nothing in there that seems apparent to me about core / affinity.  Also not much helping me with how to allow reserved slots users.

Perhaps sharing knowledge without linking to something someone else put together.

But thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Edited by CatintheHat

Choosing cores:

To know the value to be used in affinity i used this method:

For a 8 cores CPU you have this binary number: 00000000 (8 zeros)

They represent cores in the following order: 87654321

If you want to use core 8, 7 and 6 your binary number will be 11100000

1 = true, 0 = false.

All you need is convert it to hexadecimal.

To do this open windows calc, press alt+3 to enter programmer mode.

Select "bin" to enter binary numbers.

Put your binary number there, in my case was 11100000

Then select Hex and it will show you the Hex value, in my case E0

My affinity value will be 0xE0

I usually don't use the first core as some programs keep using it mostly.

As for reserved slots I thought that link had it in... I will check my server when I get home and update that link tonight.

actually if you read on how to add admins. In your server files there is an option there for reserved slots. The link is an example of what you can do. (each server update the list might change) 

Ill update the list later but you set up Res slots the same way as admins.

Thanks for that.  Sort of starting to make sense.  Is this game definitely multi core?  I did read somewhere that is wasn't.

I have time today to mess around a bit more with the reserved slots.  I'll let you know what I try.  

Thanks for the tips.  

Also, there still is no web admin (remote Rcon)?  If so what is the URL for it.  

Edited by CatintheHat

Hmmm I cant seem to get the affinity to stick.  Tried using what you have Affinity=0xE0 but it wouldnt stick to 6 7 and 8.  Would spread over every core.  

I am also trying to get it set up using Ultimate Gameserver Control Center.  It has an affinity section that works for other games on my server (RO2) but the affinity will not stick.

So tried setting the affinity through a command line and through UGCC but it would not stick.

I also noticed that two processes will start.  Both are named SquadServer.exe however they have different descriptions.  One is Squad and the other is Squad Server.

When I shut the server using UGCC it will end the Squad Server process but the other one, Squad, will keep running.

When I run it using a command line through a bat file and shut down the cmd box, both services will stop.  I guess I should take this up with the UGCC people.

So im unsure if it is or isnt multi core atm. 

The game is in Alpha and each release can have a drastic change. So certain things might not work anymore/well if you get me.

I use a program called FireDemon to control my servers. I manly use it to auto restart programs that crash. Here I am able to set the core affinity through a GUI.

You will just have to play with it :)

RCon - Someone is working on it. I did see a version posted somewhere. Not sure if its working yet but wait a bit longer for a "Squad" themed rcon toll. But You can enable RCon yourself and use another program if you know how. (I dont :) )

I use to get two processes. Now just one. Might be the updates have changed that. Not sure. Make sure your server is on Alpha7.1 

So with FireDemon it will set the affinity.  

The thing I am using, UGCC has an affinity setting but it has no effect.  Are you certain the affinity is being set by your FireDemon?

I'll keep an eye out for the rcon.  I certainly love a good web admin.

17 hours ago, CatintheHat said:

So with FireDemon it will set the affinity.  

The thing I am using, UGCC has an affinity setting but it has no effect.  Are you certain the affinity is being set by your FireDemon?

I'll keep an eye out for the rcon.  I certainly love a good web admin.

Tbh im unsure. If its not working now, it might just be because the server is an Alpha. I dont see how that can effect it but I have no other idea why it would not work. Lets see if anyone else comments.

The easiest way to check is to pop onto your server and open the Resource Monitor.  In the CPU tab it will show all your CPU cores.  Shut your server for a few seconds and let the cores settle and then do a server restart.  This will light up the cores that are being used.  So you should only see activity in cores 5, 6, 7 according to your setup.  (no idea why they start with CPU0 and not CPU1).  

The affinity thing is a bit annoying because I have another game server on this unit that is single core and really cant share any processing power when it gets going.  

But does it actually work?  The thing I am using can also set the affinity but it isnt working.  However affinity for other game servers are being set using the program I use.  You might want to verify that your affinity is actually being set.  

Unrelated, but I am trying to find out about the map list / rotation.  Can seem to find much on it.  I am using whatever the default rotation is with the training map removed.  But from time to time I get Insurgency mode.  List is on random but does that also mean random game mode?

Still learning this game server controls and features but the is limited documentation.  

FD sets and works correctly.

For maplist, the default is random game type on that map. To get true maplist look in one of the other files like defaultgame.ini or similar (not on PC so can't check name).