Do you like the new V7 3D markers on the UI?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new V7 3D markers on the UI?

• No, I like it the way it was before. More immersive!
    • Yes! it helps my squad play better!

Hello Squaddies!

What are your thoughts on the newly added feature in V7 on 3D markers that can be seen briefly by your entire squad? Does it ruin your immersion? Does it help you command and direct your squad? Is this the direction you think the game should take on HUD features that increase ease of use for players?

Please post your thoughts and in-game experiences below, thank you for participating in the poll!

https://media.joinsquad.com/2016/Aug/V7Update/markers.mp4

Edited by naezro

Before:

Squad Leader:

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

"Check your map..."

Now:

Squad member: Oh look! There's a new marker in place! I better check the map for its exact location!

I would prefer PR style compass markers instead, which stay permanently. The current markers are more or less useless imo.

3 minutes ago, mezzokoko said:

I would prefer PR style compass markers instead, which stay permanently. The current markers are more or less useless imo.

Compass markers are scheduled for the next update if things go according to plan, we want to have our ingame markers like they are in a7, instead of always seeing them at 0-50m like in pr, 5 seconds is enough to get a bearing, coordinate fire, etc. but short enough to fill very little on the hud.

To me personally it'd be enough if I had the compass marker and maybe a small distance indicator by either showing the distance directly or the marker getting bigger/smaller (similar to how squadmembers are portrayed currently). Can't be of any harm to have it be all optional, I like to keep my HUD as clean as possible.

Compass markers would be nice, I'd like to see what the rest of the community thinks.  I know there are some of the more "hardcore" players out there aren't crazy about the feature.  I think it kinda removes the fog of war being able to spot enemies and vehicles behind cover albeit briefly. Basically less immersive, too accessible.

Valid points on relying on the map less though.

EDIT: And compass marker was really vital to Mortar teams so they can get an accurate barring an distance of their target.  It's something that should be added to the 80mm mortars coming soon.

Edited by naezro

Too much unnecessary indication for me. Anyway, most of players open the map every 5 sec to check combat situation, teammembers positions, their own dislocation etc. 3d spotting (aka finger pointing) is supposed to be shown only for squad members who can actually see SL pointing at something, but player can see 3d mark from any position on the map. And accuracy of this spotting is far beyond possibilities of real finger pointing.

Edited by ZiGreen

3 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

They are awesome..  stops me having to open my map.. 

casuals%2Beverywhere.jpg

/jk

2 hours ago, Motherdear said:

Compass markers are scheduled for the next update if things go according to plan, we want to have our ingame markers like they are in a7, instead of always seeing them at 0-50m like in pr, 5 seconds is enough to get a bearing, coordinate fire, etc. but short enough to fill very little on the hud.

I like the markers how they are, but can please redesign them a little? They are to "cartoony" IMO. 

besides that, great work. 

What people don't understand, in real life soldiers cooperate with target directing almost with a metric precision due to the much better orientation and situational awareness than what you have on a monitor screen which does not represent that level of orientation.

Even if you got buddies in game together to try to recreate that level of mututal squad coordination of targets you'd have nowhere near the effectiveness the squads have in real life.

And because of that standard riflemen are suffering tremendously in both firepower and target spotting because of how constricted you are in seeing your squadmates on your monitor screen compared to real life where literally you can grasp their shoulders and eye-contact.

This greatly facilitates that ability you have in real life. And without it it'd be impossible to represent that level of orientation. Without it the riflemen have nowhere near the firepower and ability to engage targets that they have in real life.

I hated playing before the update where the acogs/snipers were completely overpowering the riflemen so this feature is a great tool.

I'm all for seeing those 3d targets only if you're within say some 30-40m to your squad leader though so that it represents the vicinity in which you are able to link and convey squad leaders target directing/orders.

I'm also all for seeing 3rd markers only if the SL places them in 3d view and not on the map. The ones on the map should not display on 3d view imo but only on the map.

The combination of SL + riflemen or SL + MG is a deadly combination now I love it ! I've always wanted this feature and so glad devs implemented it. I hope personally it will stay, great squad-cohesion incentive as well as great for public promoting play.

Edited by Friesen

How about using local chat? 

If i hear the guy standing next to me saying "enemy in the house in front of me" makes me exactly know where he means. 

If i get a transmission in the Squadchat saying "enemy in the house in front of me" i am jumping around cause i dont know where the transmission came from. 

You are expecting too much from average Joe. Besides if you don't look at the corner of your screen or the channel is spammy you can not know in the moment if the spealer were in the local or in radio.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Anything  that helps a squad is a good thing. Tools for SL are personal style. I love using  marking and indicators  quite a few just talk. 

i hate it when games think that players are dumb and i hate everything that pops up when i do not want it to be there.

it also kills the immersion, if you need to have it in the game, make it as an ON/OFF option...

Edited by FIXXXER

18 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

-snip-

it also kills the immersion, if you need to have it in the game, make it as an ON/OFF option...

Could be a server side option, so all players are on the same playing field.

I'm a pretty big advocate of a hardcore mode.  It's something the Squad Ops players have been wanting because you only have one life.

I like it, pr has had it like forever and it is very useful, specially because not every player is a RL soldier who is trained to read maps and directions.

1 hour ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

You are expecting too much from average Joe. Besides if you don't look at the corner of your screen or the channel is spammy you can not know in the moment if the spealer were in the local or in radio.

The average Joe in my Squad is told at the beginning of the round to communicate in local Chat and not to spam the Squad channel because it basically is for the Squad Lead to give orders. In addition to that, if the Squadchat is spam and chatter free it is way easier for SL to use the Commandchat. 

If somebody spams the local chat i dont care, cause i just can walk away, if somebody spams the squad chat i will kick him if he doesnt stop after warnings. 

I dont know if you can tell if the Chat comes over the Radio or Local, but i can tell for sure. 

Radio always beeps in the beginning, and is always loud and clear on both speakers. Local chat does not make any beep or radio transmitter noise and actually comes from the direction where the local chat originates. 

Edited by runningDuck

Seems like we'll need not a hardcore mode, but "Mode for those who don't see a PC for the first time". Is "Rifle is useful for killing enemies" pop-up tip announced for v8?

Edited by ZiGreen

19 minutes ago, runningDuck said:

The average Joe in my Squad is told at the beginning of the round to communicate in local Chat and not to spam the Squad channel because it basically is for the Squad Lead to give orders. In addition to that, if the Squadchat is spam and chatter free it is way easier for SL to use the Commandchat. 

If somebody spams the local chat i dont care, cause i just can walk away, if somebody spams the squad chat i will kick him if he doesnt stop after warnings. 

I dont know if you can tell if the Chat comes over the Radio or Local, but i can tell for sure. 

Radio always beeps in the beginning, and is always loud and clear on both speakers. Local chat does not make any beep or radio transmitter noise and actually comes from the direction where the local chat originates. 

big_1447258122_image.jpg

Sry, I don't know what to say. You sound schoolbook example of PR zombie.

big_1447258122_image.jpg

Sry, I don't know what to say. You sound schoolbook example of PR zombie.

My playtime in PR is probably around 10 Hours.  

Started to Squadlead in Squad, started to invent my own style of Squadleading on public servers, works for me.  

I am just taking that as a compliment. 

And yes i am german. 

Edited by runningDuck