acesGhost

Dedicated Server keeps giving an error on launch

Im attempting to start up a server for a bunch of my friends to join and for us to just mess around with. I have set up many servers in the past using SteamCMD and never had any issues like this. Every time I run my batch file I get greeted with this - https://gyazo.com/9eb46c6ecfd60cff2e14a3764d88de4e. I have been digging around for hours trying to find a fix with no success. I already attempted the simple things like restarting your pc, reinstall server, etc. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Use steam CMD to download server files and run it with steam closed, then launch steam and join your server.

Okay the command prompt will open up then while starting the command prompt will close with an error i tried my hardest to get a screenshot of it. I have no other IP's running on this port. BFTiJe7.png

Edited by acesGhost
Forgot to add image

3 minutes ago, acesGhost said:

Okay the command prompt will open up then while starting the command prompt will close with an error i tried my hardest to get a screenshot of it. I have no other IP's running on this port. BFTiJe7.png

Please read our replies. 

Close your steam client. 

Squad Server can not run with it running. I can see it running in your system tray.

4 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

Please read our replies. 

Close your steam client. 

Squad Server can not run with it running. I can see it running in your system tray.

It was closed for some reason if i don't click the pop up arrow it stays there. I will try again but I am sure it wasn't open.

EDIT: Still getting same error

Edited by acesGhost

You need to right click it and click Exit to close steam.

Make sure you have installed the server files via SteamCMD. 

Looks like you are doing it from your PC so make sure all anti virus is also off. 

12 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

You need to right click it and click Exit to close steam.

Make sure you have installed the server files via SteamCMD. 

Looks like you are doing it from your PC so make sure all anti virus is also off. 

Steam = CLOSED

Server files from SteamCMD - YES

Antivirus - DISABLED

The errors that are occurring are:

[2016.08.7-21.29.01:942][   0]LogOnline:Error: OSS: Unable to load Steam online subsystem, please be sure Steam is running

[2016.08.7-21.29.01:944][   0]LogOnline:Error: OSS: As a server, the MultiHome address is bindable, and that another server isn't running on this ip address with either the query port or game port.

15 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

Have you given your exe file or bat file a target etc? 

Thanks for all the help im just gonna have to come back to this later starting to become frustrating. 

34 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

Yeah this is all I can help with. 

The issues I have with my server have been fixed by checking all of the above. 

So I have a question, am I supposed to edit the .cfg files? Because every time I do my server crashes instantly

Okay so I was able to get a better quality picture of the issue I am dealing with this should make it easier for some of you to figure out what is possibly causing this. Steam is not running I have no other servers running on this IP. P025R8o.jpg

Edited by acesGhost

8 hours ago, DaBombGamer said:

So I have a question, am I supposed to edit the .cfg files? Because every time I do my server crashes instantly

Some. Not all.

Squad\Squad\Config\ServerConfigs

2 hours ago, acesGhost said:

Okay so I was able to get a better quality picture of the issue I am dealing with this should make it easier for some of you to figure out what is possibly causing this. Steam is not running I have no other servers running on this IP. P025R8o.jpg

Could be that port is in use. Change the port you are using and try again. 

Also your log files are saved here... Squad\Squad\Saved\Logs :)

I had the same problem yesterday, but before it worked fine.

- started the server after update (steam client was closed) -> worked

- started the steam client -> worked

- started squad client -> worked

- some buddies and me joined the server -> worked

- stopped server, squad client and steam client

- restarted the server -> worked

- restarted steam client -> server crashed immediately (error message like in screenshot above).

I then started the server on a 2nd PC -> worked fine again

Just now, El Duderino said:

I had the same problem yesterday, but before it worked fine.

- started the server after update (steam client was closed) -> worked

- started the steam client -> worked

- started squad client -> worked

- some buddies and me joined the server -> worked

- stopped server, squad client and steam client

- restarted the server -> worked

- restarted steam client -> server crashed immediately (error message like in screenshot above).

I then started the server on a 2nd PC -> worked fine again

So steam client is the cause. Make sure its off! :)

Just now, SuperArmySoldiers said:

So steam client is the cause. Make sure its off! :)

Yes, you are right. But the weird thing is: it worked before! 

Usually it works as I described above. But also with a Windows restart it wasn't working again.

I had also some error message after updating with steamcmd. 

Maybe try updating the server with "validate" sometimes and check if the result is always the same.

What I've noticed (and on the screenshots posted above too): the server binary which will be started is the SquadServer-Win64-Development.exe.

Maybe the wrong one for release? In the same folder (../Win64/)  is also a SquadServer.exe.

Squad_Server_Developement.png

Edited by El Duderino

12 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

agh yes... Wrong file... you need to change it back to SquadServer.exe

Remember someone mentioning that on Discord. 

Change that and it should start. 

So do you have an idea where to change it? Because when I start the server with the batch file, it points to the "SquadServer.exe" in the root folder of the DS.

That means that the "SquadServer.exe" is more like a launcher for the "real" server, but I don't have a clue how to tell the "launcher" to start the

"<SQUAD_DS_ROOT_FOLDER>\Squad\Binaries\Win64\SquadServer.exe" instead of the "<SQUAD_DS_ROOT_FOLDER>\Squad\Binaries\Win64\SquadServer-Win64-Development.exe"?

Have you ever started a dedicated squad server? I mean it seems you want to help here, but your answers are not very helpful if you just give only rudimentary answers. Like your answer "Change that and it should start"...I didn't write that the server doesn't start! If you want to help people and if you really have a clue how it works, please read intently what people wrote. Thank you very much :)

Edited by El Duderino

Here is my server up and running

banner_500x100.png

Im giving 'rudimentary' answers because most of this is trial and error. If you follow the setup instructions everything should work. But when something goes wrong its not always a simple "this is how you fix it solution" Communities spend many many hours working on getting their servers running and maintaining them. They are not easy things to run especially when the game is in Alpha stage. 

I do not no where else to change where the server is running from. If the bat file is correct then I'm unsure. 

Everything I have told you is from my own experiences and issues I have faced. 

2 minutes ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

Here is my server up and running

banner_500x100.png

Im giving 'rudimentary' answers because most of this is trial and error. If you follow the setup instructions everything should work. But when something goes wrong its not always a simple "this is how you fix it solution" Communities spend many many hours working on getting their servers running and maintaining them. They are not easy things to run especially when the game is in Alpha stage. 

I do not no where else to change where the server is running from. If the bat file is correct then I'm unsure. 

Everything I have told you is from my own experiences and issues I have faced. 

Alright...so my question points more in developers direction than on pro-admins direction. Thank you for trying to help :)

Edited by El Duderino

1 minute ago, SuperArmySoldiers said:

No worries. 

Best advice is to start again. Delete everything re-download it all and thoroughly go through step by step each part of the install tutorial. 

The servers are very unstable atm and I was wondering, why a binary with "development" in the name is used for a release package. When you start your public root-server, which binary is started (pls look closely - there are several squad processes started). I guess also you are using a remote desktop to manage your root server. In the headbar of you're console window, which name of binary is shown there?