Jump to content
Chuc

Alpha 7.7 Released

Recommended Posts

The important thing, I can play BF 1 which looks beautiful and runs smooth, yet BF is half the fun of Squad even with Squad's current problems.

Edited by CageMatchKimsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, lawnboy said:

Draw distance has nothing to do with the awful performance, it's poor coding plain and simple. Lots of games offer huge draw distances and run just fine. He's not wrong to point out that Squad isn't anything special from a technical standpoint yet it performs terribly.

 

 

Which multiplayer games have unlimited draw distances and have over 64 players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lawnboy said:

Draw distance has nothing to do with the awful performance, it's poor coding plain and simple. Lots of games offer huge draw distances and run just fine. He's not wrong to point out that Squad isn't anything special from a technical standpoint yet it performs terribly.

 

You generally have legitimate complaints but you are dead wrong in that statement. Large or unlimited draw distances, coupled with assets  that have yet to be optimized (overgrowth, materials, the player skeletons, aggressive LODs etc) make a huge impact on performance, both GPU and CPU. Since squad already eats CPUs like a fat kid in a candy store, the unlimited draw distance clearly has an impact. Do you have experience in game design or implementation? (Just curious as if so in future I won't bother to step in as you would already know the above)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time of release most of us will have better pcs and there will be some optimization. And many people are going to play Squads for 10 years or longer I guess, like PR.

 

The only problem is the fact that you still can't see shit beyond 100 m because of the pixelation and the blending of all colours into a grey soup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melbo said:

 

Which multiplayer games have unlimited draw distances and have over 64 players?

 

Planetside 2 (and far more than 64 players, with far more FPS)

 

Anyway, project reality suffered of the same probleme of CPU eating ( since version 0.7 - 0.8), when they removed the fog of war. Remove the fog of war is just a joke because everything disapear exept player s soldier so if u are on a highground u will see all the ennemy movement (without grass or anything).. Not very tactical s friendly. Just take a look on big map insurgency, u have just to climb on a moutain and detect everycache on the map because u see all the ennemy movement ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunkerbeck said:

Planetside 2 (and far more than 64 players, with far more FPS)

Planetside 2 doesn't have unlimited draw distance, it even only renders "important" things dynamically for you, even close-range enemies will randomly pop up out of nowhere sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had only one crash so far and played over 10 rounds. It's also significantly smoother than before on my gtx950 and i5-6500, so much that most of the time I don't even think about the fps. Looking forward to v8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RaTzo said:

You won't have extremely good VOIP.

 

I agree with pretty much everything in your post, except for the above. A 1 ~ 1.5 second delay in VOIP between players is not "extremely good" to me. If you haven't noticed this for yourself, test it out by having someone next to you shoot or jump while making a noise over VOIP at the same time. Coming from PR / Mumble, this has been quite annoying for me so far.

 

6 hours ago, Skymo said:

The only problem is the fact that you still can't see shit beyond 100 m because of the pixelation and the blending of all colours into a grey soup.

This.. this and the delay/lag between you shooting someone, and them actually becoming a ragdoll, together with the VOIP delay issue, are the three most annoying things to me in this Alpha version currently.

 

I've only kind of managed to "fix" this blurriness problem by disabling MSAA in the GameUserSettings.ini, in the %AppData% Squad folder, and using Lumasharpen (set to 0.80) through Reshade.

 

We'll just have to keep on hoping these netcode/animation/graphical problems will get fixed, soon™.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dunkerbeck said:

 

Planetside 2 (and far more than 64 players, with far more FPS)

 

 

Don't get me started on how rubbish PS2 is at rendering units at a certain distance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lawnboy said:

Draw distance has nothing to do with the awful performance, it's poor coding plain and simple. Lots of games offer huge draw distances and run just fine. He's not wrong to point out that Squad isn't anything special from a technical standpoint yet it performs terribly.

 

Are you a programmer?  How would you know what is poorly coded and what isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any new's on v8. I know the rumor is mid october. But, any progress on performance yet? 

Edited by Dundish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DonDOOM said:

I agree with pretty much everything in your post, except for the above. A 1 ~ 1.5 second delay in VOIP between players is not "extremely good" to me. If you haven't noticed this for yourself, test it out by having someone next to you shoot or jump while making a noise over VOIP at the same time. Coming from PR / Mumble, this has been quite annoying for me so far.

 

FYI, on this topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/51kqoo/the_ingame_mic_delay_is_pretty_brutal/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RaTzo said:


Go play BF1 and enjoy it. I'm not trolling or flaming you. 

If you don't notice the many differences between what you can see, do, and experience in Squad and what you can in BF then just go play BF and enjoy it. 

Based on my experience with the entire BF franchise except BF2141 & BF1: You won't have the view distance. You won't have maps even remotely as large. You won't have a dynamic battlefield that can be played a near infinite number of ways. You won't have extremely good VOIP. Oh and you'll pay nearly $200CAD to play a game that will be broken as often as it works and will suffer from OP weapons and gadgets for years before they "balance" them by making other weapons & gadgets OP.  Most importantly you won't experience good teamplay that happens in Squad every day with randoms unless you link up with a small dedicated group of likeminded BF players. 

The differences are stark to me, but if they are not to you then just go play BF it is probably great for you. Gaming is about enjoyment. If you're not enjoying Squad right now take a break at least. Maybe in a few months you can come back and you'll be able to enjoy it more when the game is further along in it's development. 

Enjoy your gaming. Make great friends. I've made many great decades long friendships through gaming. Getting mad on the forum for a game won't help it be better for you it will just sour the pot for you. 

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I'm not playing the game right now because I don't want to spoil it for myself. I'll be back at the next update. OWI is going to pull this off just be patient. 
 

I would play squad if it was playable.  You need a super computer to have a playable fps.  They could have licensed UE3 or a Frostbite engine and had good playability out of the box.  Im sure they could have gotten a good deal on UE3.  They we wouldn't have all these people bitching about poor performance. UE4 was released to soon in my opinion.  Epic wanted Devs to do the testing for cheap I bet.  You don't think the engine would have been as cheap as they got it if it was polished like UE3 do you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Devastation said:

I guess everyone keeps forgetting SQUAD IS IN ALPHA for **** sake man !!!

Maybe they can port it over to UE3 or an older Frostbite engine so we can play this thing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Maybe they can port it over to UE3 or an older Frostbite engine so we can play this thing!!!

 

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well, I don't know anything about game development or the different Unreal Engines, but if UE3 provides better performance, sharper distance view and more already available assets...then turn back while it is possible, dear devs! Because UE3 still is beautiful enough for me! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RaTzo said:


Go play BF1 and enjoy it. I'm not trolling or flaming you. 

If you don't notice the many differences between what you can see, do, and experience in Squad and what you can in BF then just go play BF and enjoy it. 

Based on my experience with the entire BF franchise except BF2141 & BF1: You won't have the view distance. You won't have maps even remotely as large. You won't have a dynamic battlefield that can be played a near infinite number of ways. You won't have extremely good VOIP. Oh and you'll pay nearly $200CAD to play a game that will be broken as often as it works and will suffer from OP weapons and gadgets for years before they "balance" them by making other weapons & gadgets OP.  Most importantly you won't experience good teamplay that happens in Squad every day with randoms unless you link up with a small dedicated group of likeminded BF players. 

The differences are stark to me, but if they are not to you then just go play BF it is probably great for you. Gaming is about enjoyment. If you're not enjoying Squad right now take a break at least. Maybe in a few months you can come back and you'll be able to enjoy it more when the game is further along in it's development. 

Enjoy your gaming. Make great friends. I've made many great decades long friendships through gaming. Getting mad on the forum for a game won't help it be better for you it will just sour the pot for you. 

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I'm not playing the game right now because I don't want to spoil it for myself. I'll be back at the next update. OWI is going to pull this off just be patient. 
 

 

Mate, i love Squad, just expect better graphics for the performance we get, im still playing PR as well, nothing comes close to Squad for gameplay/teamwork, guess like you, i dont play as much until performance issues are sorted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly guys. I've a 6 yo PC with a 4 yo GPU and I can play Squad @ 35 FPS at lowest (and only shadows on medium), and it actually IS a perfectly PLAYABLE ALPHA-game.

Sure if you estimate a game is unplayable below 60 FPS, hard times are ahead... See you in 2040.

Above 30-35 FPS the game is 100% enjoyable.

Except for those experiencing real issues with their hardware (like the AMD CPUs-related one) play the game @ 30 FPS or more and for the rest, be patient.

Blurriness ? Use any 3rd party software like SweetFX (I do use it) to help, waiting for UE/Squad updates.

Cya on the BF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Nightstalker21 said:

Honestly guys. I've a 6 yo PC with a 4 yo GPU and I can play Squad @ 35 FPS at lowest (and only shadows on medium), and it actually IS a perfectly PLAYABLE ALPHA-game.

Sure if you estimate a game is unplayable below 60 FPS, hard times are ahead... See you in 2040.

Above 30-35 FPS the game is 100% enjoyable.

Except for those experiencing real issues with their hardware (like the AMD CPUs-related one) play the game @ 30 FPS or more and for the rest, be patient.

Blurriness ? Use any 3rd party software like SweetFX (I do use it) to help, waiting for UE/Squad updates.

Cya on the BF.

 

I feel the same way... unrealistic expectations yield unrealistic results. Not to say Squad won't run 60+ fps on some systems, but with 100 players, large maps, and 100% view distance, c'mon......................................................................................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nightstalker21 said:

Honestly guys. I've a 6 yo PC with a 4 yo GPU and I can play Squad @ 35 FPS at lowest (and only shadows on medium), and it actually IS a perfectly PLAYABLE ALPHA-game.

Sure if you estimate a game is unplayable below 60 FPS, hard times are ahead... See you in 2040.

Above 30-35 FPS the game is 100% enjoyable.

Except for those experiencing real issues with their hardware (like the AMD CPUs-related one) play the game @ 30 FPS or more and for the rest, be patient.

Blurriness ? Use any 3rd party software like SweetFX (I do use it) to help, waiting for UE/Squad updates.

Cya on the BF.



Same here.

Performance is going to be hit & miss during any alpha stage of development, and in a REAL alpha development phase like we are experiencing with Squad it will be more on the miss side by a fair margin. Optimization has to come, for the most part, after feature implementation or else you'll be optimizing things that are still broken and which will be changed 3 times in the next year... it is a complete waste of development time & money. 

My system is old too. i4670K and a GTX770 and I get playable FPS even now. Most of the people I like to play with can't for some reason so it doesn't make sense for me to play right now. I may just not be experiencing some of the lower FPS because I haven't played much on this build. That being said, the game has already performed better and more stably than BF4 did for the entire first 2 years after I paid for the game and Premium... 

It sucks to love a game this much and not be able to play it right now but it's a moment. This game is going to be being played for the next 10 years... so we miss a month or so right now. Not a big price to pay IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-09-22 at 1:50 AM, Dunkerbeck said:

 

Planetside 2 (and far more than 64 players, with far more FPS)

 


I've been playing PS2 since the Beta for it started. I'm a pilot who normally flies CAS missions. 

In PS2 people on the ground with Lockons can see you out to 600 meters and you can only start to see them at 300 meters if the population is low enough. In high population areas they may not appear if they are are 50 meters away. It is just awesome to fly to what looks like an abandoned Bio Lab and have 3 lockons come up from the landing pad to kill you over and over again. 

Planetside 2 is a great game in concept. Had SOE not screwed the pooch they could have had an industry changing hit on their hands. Daybreak has been making some better decisions of late and perhaps they can make the game survive a while longer. However there are so many technical compromises and almost every kill in the game comes from a built in advantage or weakness in the game instead of actual skill... 

PS2's VOIP is very good - when it works but it OFTEN just stops working suddenly. "Can you hear me?" and "How about now?" are probably the two most transmitted messages in PS2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×