Looking great! Thanks for your work, so we can all enjoy ourselfs in some bolting shootouts.

Will you increase the noise guns are making? After all hearing protection wasn't a thing yet for the average infantryman so it would be cool to see gameplay elements handled differently when changing theaters.

Great to see the progress guys! You guys are absolutely amazing!!

My trip in India is amazing so far :)

17 hours ago, MikeDude said:

Great to see the progress guys! You guys are absolutely amazing!!

My trip in India is amazing so far :)

Don't eat some weird local food and get the runs.

Hey dudes.

I have some "delayed" feedback and since I finally have time to get around to it, here I go! Since game art is my "thing", I'm only going to give feedback on the areas I have experience in and I also acknowledge the fact that the team may already be aware of it or already working to fix (address is a better word***) it. My feedback stems from the recent Development Blog video and can also be viewed in relation to the existing media on your website. I'm going to try and illustrate some of these points, to be more helpful. Now, I'm not an amazing artist or anything - these are just general things I've noticed. If you need reassurance as to the level of knowledge I have etc, feel free to PM me or summon me on Discord if you want a link to my portfolio website! I'll be happy to take any feedback you may have as well, after all that's how we improve. :D

Lee Enfield No4 MK I

• Model: Don't be afraid to add more geometry to your weapons. These are the things the players are seeing in their face majority of the time, it only makes sense to make them as crazy as possible. The bake on the bolt looks a little off (the screw all the way at the rear) and you can see the silhouette. You're also using single hard edges by the looks of it - Unreal Engine 4 is a beast when it comes to handling geometry, make use of that by adding a few bevels here and there where useful to make the silhouette easy on the eyes in addition to making cylindrical objects have more segments. Silhouette is a killer, from an artists' perspective! Also, try to keep it consistent in terms of where you give more geometry. The optic/telescopic sight you have is great and has lots of segments, but it looks different from the weapon in terms of level of detail in geometry.
  • Texture: Same point as above, the weapons are the "hero" of first person shooters. I have no insight into your internal pipeline but in regards to texture memory saving and general resolution used, try to go big! I assume you guys are holding yourselves to some constraints such as how large you're making the mod in file size and performance etc, but personally I would attack the weapons with crazy amounts of detail. After all, it's a mod so you don't have to be so harsh on yourselves. The normal map bake looks a little off, the edges look extremely hard and it looks low resolution in general (I'm assuming you used a 2K texture?). HOWEVER, it might be that the UV's might need a little more love as well. If the rest of the weapon looks okay and it's just the iron sights / metal parts, then you just need to give them more pixel real estate!
  • addd2e0028.jpg

Mauser K.98k

• Model: This model is a lot better in terms of geometry density for your cylindrical parts and you can see the clear difference there. However, you can still notice it especially when aiming! A few hundred extra tris won't hurt at all! I haven't got much feedback here as it is a lot better, aside from the stuff I mentioned above with considering the addition of extra edges (1 or 2) via bevels to make it look a little smoother.
  • Texture: This texture could use some cleaner normal bakes, it seems like it hasn't got any in some of the most visible areas! The critiques are similar to the point above.
    f85e592814.jpg

General Tips/Pointers

• Consider more geometry in your weapons, especially on cylindrical parts. Spend it where it's needed and makes sense!
  • Don't be afraid to bump up your texture resolution, you guys work in Substance Painter so you can roll with 4K and if it proves to hog memory/space you can always downscale.
    81e5992dc5.jpg
  • As a general guideline for high poly models - make your edges a little smoother and "doughy". It will result in a much cleaner normal map that transfers onto the model nicely and pairs up even better with a few bevels on some edges to eliminate the hard edge look.
  • Some of the weapon textures have noticeable tiling elements. Now, I'm aware you guys might revisit the textures later on but I'm just pointing it out - just in case! Also, yes I didn't spell noticeable right. :P
  •  2b91f83c98.jpg
  • Ensure your UV's make sense! Keep them fairly uniform (share similar amount of space), don't let one part have a lot more pixel density than the other, it shows really easily especially if you're baking normal maps for your assets.
  • Break up those tiling patterns! Some of the materials, especially metals, have noticeable grunge maps.
    82000bde23.jpg

I'm aware of performance impacts and I attempted not to be too specific since I don't have any insight into your internal pipeline, so I covered the general areas that are universal throughout the topic itself. However, Post Scriptum would only benefit from the things I've mentioned and the only draw back is a slightly larger mod in terms of file size.

If you guys are already aware, or are already working on these things then ignore me! You know what you're doing and I hope this is helpful for you in any way. Keep up the good work and carry on developing, it's awesome to see such in-depth and diverse content already popping up within Squad. If you need any more feedback or want to chat, you know where to find me!

Thanks! We appreciate the tips!

We will always welcome constructive detailed feedback such as this.

Edited by Arc_Shielder

On 04/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, Frontliner said:

Will you increase the noise guns are making? After all hearing protection wasn't a thing yet for the average infantryman so it would be cool to see gameplay elements handled differently when changing theaters.

This is a common thing people always ask about but the general volume level of the weapons won't be any louder than vanilla. Purely for the sake of the player's hearing and it would be annoying if every time someone switched from vanilla to PS they had to mess about with volume, settings. However, the MG42 definitely won't be quiet ;)

Also please bear in mind this is very early footage and we haven't been able to compile and internally test in a multiplayer environment so volume hasn't really been tweaked at all yet, I've a lot of work to do with that once we can test :)

Thanks for the constructed feedback. Much appreciated !

We will have another look at those model later on, probably early next year, when we will at least have compiled and tested one build. It doesn't look to be too much of an emergency at the moment, I d rather us focusing on getting more content in the game.

Thanks again.

In addition, I would say that some of the model you commented were done in the early days of the project, when we were still learning the ropes. Anyway, we ll fix that.

Edited by BreihzoO

@Arc_Shielder @BreihzoO No problem! Yeah definitely, I've noticed the latest shots you posted in Discord look much better compared to the earlier ones, so without a doubt you guys are improving day by day. Nonetheless, keep it up. As long as you remember to revisit things (even if they're not a priority, at SOME point before release to the public) you'll have less "outdated" assets I guess. It's your project either way, I won't pretend to be your Project Manager. You guys know what to do. :D

Our Sound designer TheSCRUB did a little mix of all the sound he made for PS, you can have a closer idea to how a battle will sound in PS :

Enjoy ! :)

totally worth it, to buy a squad key ! wait so long for such an epic WW2 game and the sound is so sweet, so i can wait a little bit longer :D

44 minutes ago, MiN0 said:

Hello, there will be the D-Day on Omaha Beach ?

Negative. First iteration is focused on Operation Market Garden. 

However, the future is open to anything. We're just taking one step at a time. So in the future....who knows :)