Smee

Worst sin Don't do it. Teamspeak abuse

I Played last night and the squad  I joined was using teamspeak on a public server instead of using in game comms. Yes, I know we all have third party software to talk to friends and clan mates, but don't do it on a public server. Or at least keep the game talk in the game. The affect it has on game play and co-ordination  is enormous and it's just damn right disrespectful of other players. We need an open community when playing as to build on. As not to become selective to only yours friends on teamspeak.  

Example ,

" Squadie what are  we doing? "

SL : nothing

"Squadie are you there? can you hear me?"

Other player " yeah can hear you "

SL " sorry we are talking in Teamspeak"

"Oh" ,starts looking at squad list. All full, so wanders off north looking for enemy.

5 mins later.

"Squadie"

" Squadie found an enemy FOB can you mark it. "

silence.

" Dude found a frigging FOB can you mark it for the team ! "

SL "OH, WHAT "

" I have found an enemy FOB can you place a marker for the team to see it. "

SL places a movemarker.

I sigh, as I die and last little bit of hope fades. Looks at squad list sees friendly face change squad reports FOB and carries on game.

Next round same Squad Leader then proceeds to get  himself kicked for not communicating in game to other squad leaders. Go server admin. Please use in game comms  and build on the growing community. It's a lot friendly that many other games. 

Happy Gaming. comms out. :)

Ive been actually using skype with my friend when playing but still we both communicate with the ingame coms and all works like a charm. All the bullshit goes to skype coms that arent needed ingame :D and the actual game related goes to right place.

sometimes people make those squads that say "KOREAN SQUAD" " FRENCH SQUAD "GERMAN SQUAD" AND "RUSSIAN SQUAD" i know it depends also server but earlier there wasnt much options where to play... it is hard to communicate if dont know the language but maybe ill go study those languages aswell then i can play everywhere. 

It's a matter of breaking the habit and educating people about the in-game Comms. So many people are used to games having really crappy or non-existent Comms, that they habitually rely on Teamspeak or similar programs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree most of the games have crappy coms and i really enjoy using squads coms because it really works like a charm. I havent seen this much communication in any game even the forums are the bomb :D

Admittedly, my uncle and I use skype every time we play PR and we normally play together that require two man job (i.e. APC,Tanks and small recon squad) but if we are the members of full squad, we follow the SL's order while talking about others things but if one of us become a SL, we talk within each other about what our plan to win the game/objective and after we talk, we tell our squad(team if necessary) in the way of saying," I think we should do this x,y,z" and we stop talking if random teammate talk on radio.

Completely agree here TeamSpeak or Discord is only ever used for off game chat or admin purposes and is usually prohibited within most clans as it can also lead to cheating even if by accident.

As a squad leader, a lot of talking happens on both squad and squad leader chat. Sometimes I may miss what a squad member says. It happens.

54 minutes ago, I_hate_usernames said:

why would you use teamspeak anyway?

The comms for squad is far better, it's genuinely one of the best comms that have been put in a video game!

Because when split up between squads we often combine a vehicle with an infantry squad for added fighting prowess. So what the infantry needs to know, the armour needs to know as well for the most part, not to mention if an infantryman notices an AT threat the armour will have to be made aware of it asap, impossible to achieve when having to reroute it from grunt -> SL -> armour SL -> the vehicle in question. This takes a least 10 seconds no matter what. An eternity that causes you to lose the vehicle.

6 minutes ago, Socrates said:

As a squad leader, a lot of talking happens on both squad and squad leader chat. Sometimes I may miss what a squad member says. It happens.

Yes a lot of people don't realise how much a squad leader has to do at the moment especially the ones who have take charge of the battlefield. have to look after your own squad whilst the rest of the team and running around like a headless chicken and pubs screaming in your ears so you cant hear anything. So selective hearing becomes a basic tactic by squad leads. 

Edited by Krypton56

There's a two problems with in-game comms:

- bigger delay than on TS

- no configuration option for input and output sound

Me and my clanmates, if we play public and we have 8 or 9 players in Squad, we still using TS. There is no sense for using worse in-game voip for one person. But if we have less people, then we use ingame voip.

I got big problem with this - my voip volume is set to 200% in Squad, and people got problems with hearing me. I got the same problem too. 

On TS I can change output and input separately, and everyone can volume me up, what is inpossible in Squad.

Because I'm a Squad Leader, my people needs to hear me loud and clear.

Edited by LoneRanger

Teamspeak = no no you kill the entire point of squad.

I left a playtest squad  tonight nobody was talking or communicating.. i asked why... they said all on ts.. idiots. utterly pointless.

Maybe the ingame voice features are promoted and marketed poorly?? I can only remember like one semi official video that were demonstrating it and that were like 2nd ever published video of squad.

The majority of pub matches I join I just give up and stop talking to my squad members because they continually ignore all my call outs or react far to slow. Better yet, they never open their map so my call outs are completely lost upon them. I am usually just better off on my own and calling out enemy FOBs in text chat and hope someone that actually pays attention actually sees it.

Bad players are going to be bad regardless of the communication method they use. The real sin is being a low attention span potato.

Figuring out a way to prevent the use of 3rd party communication software while in an application would be a blockbuster, but I imagine a company so devoted to openness (modding) wouldn't even try.

Therefore you will have to cope with egotistical, opportunistic and immensely competitive pricks. Essentially the opposite of what Squad is supposed to nurture.

Edited by Tilen

Not after blocking use, just play in Squad. Public games people need fewer reason to hate playing.

20 minutes ago, Tilen said:

Figuring out a way to prevent the use of 3rd party communication software while in an application would be a blockbuster, but I imagine a company so devoted to openness (modding) wouldn't even try.

Therefore you will have to cope with egotistical, opportunistic and immensely competitive pricks. Essentially the opposite of what Squad is supposed to nurture.

I fail to see how player attitude in general hinges on teamspeak or any other VOIP. On the contrary, I would argue that teamspeak gives you(as squad leader or as unit)the option to be more creative with your playstyle, take for example organising your squad in fireteams(making the element smaller) or the mechanised assault force I described above. Experienced players can reach whoever they want to reach easily, without causing comms overload and that is the strength of having another option available.

We always use ingame comms and talk english but one reason why we use skype also is because no one wants us to shout those finnish words ingame. This way we can communicate rapidly with each other and also be effective inside the squad comms. We can also talk some non game related when the bullets stop flying

I disagree. Making "smaller elements" is perfectly possible to do with in-game comms, if they are utilised properly, that is that people don't blabber on. This, of course comes down to whether the SL is good or not, not to the communication options. If anything these could be expanded in the game itself, but having a venue of communication outside the game either forces other players to download that as well (assuming they are even welcome on the elite clan teamspeak server) or be left out of the loop.

The communications options in the game stand to be improved to allow fireteams, although I myself find the concept laughable given that the squads are so small, but this is not an argument for having such segregation as is with 3rd party software.

Edited by Tilen

So using a alternative tool for comchannel does not affect the gameexperience in pub matches to the worse for those using ingame com?

1 hour ago, Tilen said:

I disagree. Making "smaller elements" is perfectly possible to do with in-game comms, if they are utilised properly, that is that people don't blabber on.

How so? You either have the fireteam stick together in range of local, or you have to use squad chat a which point it interferes with the other fireteam, which is what you want to avoid. Under ideal circumstances you can do that, as in have local exclusively for the FT, but given how people tend to disperse  to avoid dying in one place/to a single blast is just not feasible.

This, of course comes down to whether the SL is good or not, not to the communication options. If anything these could be expanded in the game itself, but having a venue of communication outside the game either forces other players to download that as well (assuming they are even welcome on the elite clan teamspeak server) or be left out of the loop.

Then these player have an attitude problem foreign to me, simple as that. Just because other teamspeak using clans(according to you anyways) tend to display themselves like that doesn't mean anything to how I go about this. If a person, a squadmate, doesn't want to use teamspeak, or can't, that's fine and squad comms will be over Squad's VOIP once that fact is established. Anything else is stupid, I agree with you on that.

The communications options in the game stand to be improved to allow fireteams, although I myself find the concept laughable given that the squads are so small, but this is not an argument for having such segregation as is with 3rd party software.

Well, it works in the opposite too as I said. Bigger elements can produce better results if anyone has the intel he needs to have. Where you see segregation I see possibilities, where you see elitism I see friends coming together.

Well said. I think that if Squad in-game VoIP enabled the creation of smaller teams within Squads (as to why I am not sure) then 3rd party communication tools would be obsolete.

Edited by Tilen

I can understand saying about TS is better to configure each mate with the Volume Sounds better etc. But pls keep an ear at least to the SL comms and also tell other squadleads what your planing to do or if you found anything of the enemy Team What need attention from the whole Team like FOB's heavy defended Position or even if get wipe out of a defensive Flag.

@LoneRanger The Ingame voip is pretty good, if no1 can hear you because you are very silent then there is something wrong with your mic or the Windows/steam -settings. And dont Talk about slow comms there is a max. of 10ms diffrence between Ingame and TS.