Sign in to follow this  
gillgris

Ping bounces from 60 to 180 over and over.

Hello everybody. I'm having strange ping issues. Different servers sometimes effects it, but mostly all servers jump around in numbers that are far too wide a margin. Is this a general bug? or should I start playing with my system. I'm running all new, decent hardware. Everything from a new DDwrt router and a new dedicated high end modem. My speeds are something like 40 down, 5 up according to speedtest. That should be far more than enough right?

The ping counter in game is not accurate to my knowledge, and if I am not mistaken, it still jumps up as more players join the server. 

Don't worry about it, just use it as a general idea (like over 100, over 200 etc)

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

The ping counter in game is not accurate to my knowledge, and if I am not mistaken, it still jumps up as more players join the server. 

Don't worry about it, just use it as a general idea (like over 100, over 200 etc)

No i think pings are now accurate, it wasn't the case during closed pre alpha and maybe early alpha

Just now, CMBelite-FR said:

No i think pings are now accurate, it wasn't the case during closed pre alpha and maybe early alpha

Well it claims I have an 80ms ping to American (west coast) servers from Japan, which to my knowledge is only possible in a theoretical scenario (no routing inefficiencies or intermediate latency being added would come to a ping of 60ms from Tokyo to LA). The lowest I have seen in any real-world scenarios was 110ms

4 hours ago, gillgris said:

Hello everybody. I'm having strange ping issues. Different servers sometimes effects it, but mostly all servers jump around in numbers that are far too wide a margin. Is this a general bug? 

Almost certainly it is related to routes of packets. Use PingPlotter(You can find free Pro version on torrent trackers) and tracert to see where packets are lost. But that's just to debug your problem and know what's happening.

After you'll know for sure that the problem is in some router in-between you and server the only solution will be to just wait an pray that router will stop lagging or to reconnect to the server. And it is better to even disconnect from the whole internet and change IP address if you can(some people get new external IP addresses whenever they reconnect their internet connection).

I get this problem, too and I know for sure that some random routers on the path in-between me and the server are causing the problem for me(It could not be the case for you, though). So I just wait few minutes and then reconnect. If the problem is still there after I reconnect I just go to another server because it is impossible to play with high percentage packet loss.

but mostly all servers jump around in numbers that are far too wide a margin.

If it happens on all or majority of the servers then the problem might be in your router or modem. I would tracert different servers and see what's the percentage of packet loss. If there is more than average 1% of packet loss I would raised a claim to my internet provider and demand free router/modem change, demand cable change or even provider's routers change. I actually did that in the past and changed 5 internet providers before I found one with perfect connection with no packet loss because obviously all of them told me to fuck off with my demands and that they won't do shit about my packet loss. Some grills were even trying to tell me that I had vriruses(kek). It was especially funny because I'm the guy which other people aproach when they need to delete viruses on their machines...

It could be different in your case, they might listen.

My speeds are something like 40 down, 5 up according to speedtest. That should be far more than enough right?

Speeds never was a problem in video games. It was always inside systems of the internet providers(like VPN/DHCP or web verification etc) or routers in-between server and client. Myth about relationship between internet speed and quality of multiplayer games internet connection exist because they can claim it on advertisiments and it helps them to sell more expensive internet with higher speeds even considering people don't ever really use that speeds.

If you aren't youtuber(or similar) and you don't download 4k 3D 120 FPS movies every day, you don't need even 40 Mbit/s because you can watch 2k 30 FPS clips on youtube even at 20 Mbits(same with 60 FPS 1080p on Youtube). Or you can start downloading 1080p 60 FPS movie with sequential download on any torrent tracker and launch it immediately in media player(PotPlayer, for example) and you can start watching movies pretty much immediately even at 20 Mbit/s right after you started downloading it. Not too many people know you can do such trick...

Edited by KulaGGin

On 8/3/2016 at 7:14 AM, KulaGGin said:

Almost certainly it is related to routes of packets. Use PingPlotter(You can find free Pro version on torrent trackers) and tracert to see where packets are lost. But that's just to debug your problem and know what's happening.

After you'll know for sure that the problem is in some router in-between you and server the only solution will be to just wait an pray that router will stop lagging or to reconnect to the server. And it is better to even disconnect from the whole internet and change IP address if you can(some people get new external IP addresses whenever they reconnect their internet connection).

I get this problem, too and I know for sure that some random routers on the path in-between me and the server are causing the problem for me(It could not be the case for you, though). So I just wait few minutes and then reconnect. If the problem is still there after I reconnect I just go to another server because it is impossible to play with high percentage packet loss.

If it happens on all or majority of the servers then the problem might be in your router or modem. I would tracert different servers and see what's the percentage of packet loss. If there is more than average 1% of packet loss I would raised a claim to my internet provider and demand free router/modem change, demand cable change or even provider's routers change. I actually did that in the past and changed 5 internet providers before I found one with perfect connection with no packet loss because obviously all of them told me to fuck off with my demands and that they won't do shit about my packet loss. Some grills were even trying to tell me that I had vriruses(kek). It was especially funny because I'm the guy which other people aproach when they need to delete viruses on their machines...

It could be different in your case, they might listen.

Speeds never was a problem in video games. It was always inside systems of the internet providers(like VPN/DHCP or web verification etc) or routers in-between server and client. Myth about relationship between internet speed and quality of multiplayer games internet connection exist because they can claim it on advertisiments and it helps them to sell more expensive internet with higher speeds even considering people don't ever really use that speeds.

If you aren't youtuber(or similar) and you don't download 4k 3D 120 FPS movies every day, you don't need even 40 Mbit/s because you can watch 2k 30 FPS clips on youtube even at 20 Mbits(same with 60 FPS 1080p on Youtube). Or you can start downloading 1080p 60 FPS movie with sequential download on any torrent tracker and launch it immediately in media player(PotPlayer, for example) and you can start watching movies pretty much immediately even at 20 Mbit/s right after you started downloading it. Not too many people know you can do such trick...

OH i wish I could just up and get another provider. It doesn't work like that in the US. I have one company. That is it. It likes to skip, or jump me ahead of where I am in game. So for instance, I'll fall off a wall, or move out of cover for no apparent reason. It's only on certain servers. The lowest ping server I've used, almost no issues.

And no, I'm not using shadowplay, though I can. That doesn't effect my FPS at all. My CPU isn't bogged either, memory looks fine. I'm thinking it's an ISP/Routing issue outside my control.