Sign in to follow this  
hitman

Game longevity

I doubt many people here played this game but if you have you know what MAG was about. If you don't know what it is here is a quick rundown.

In MAG its a world run by shadow wars. The world is bleak and 3 main groups are fighting for control of the world. Those groups are, Valor, The US/Canadian forces, SVER the Indian,Russian and Chinese forces, then Raven, Based out of Austria are the high tech guys.

The thing that made me love MAG wasn't the gameplay it was the community and the aspect in taking ground for your army. That was so cool to me, I felt like I was working to something every fight. If we lost we would be the attackers the next round in that part of the map till we moved on to the next map. I would love to see something like that for squad. I doubt it will ever be put in but if it was squad would get even better. For example we could see Russian troops in East Ukraine taking ground (hypothetical full scale war in the area) Or see a "Rebel" group in the Middle East vs our old PR MEC. Then we could have the US vs Insurgents In Iraq/Syria/Afghanistan. Or a Chinese vs US battle in Asia. The possibilities are endless. Would like to hear what you guys think, thanks.

31 minutes ago, justachap said:

MAG was something I wanted to play but I didn't have a PS3

It was amazing, shame you couldnt play it. The concept behind it was beautiful but it sadly was to far ahead of it's time.

this game has longevity built in with the custom map builder and mod promise from the devs. deployable servers also make this a good bet for value over the next few years.

proof: cod4 is still going strong, there is a comp in the UK with 10 clans playing several times a week on custom maps. 

Edited by suds
eating soup

So you want a TC_Hydro style map, where players are fighting back and forth between maps?

Honestly might be a bit much, considering the sheer scale of Squad maps.

This games longevity, same with Project Reality is based on gameplay, not some silly ranks or unlocks. Same map can be played 100 times and every time with different players on the field, it will provide different experience.

Depending, how many mechanics will be implemented, the game and round winning points should be:

1. Squad level efficiency, not individual one

2. Logistics efficiency (Understand in terms - are FOB's being built/re-built, does guys on the frontline have enough supplies to continue combat, does transport can get people in time where its needed)

3. Combined Arms efficiency - Does IFV's, APC's, Armor, CAS provide support, having comms with Infantry effectively etc.

If these point what I mentioned can be effectively outmatched by one individuals skill, then this game will die. Do the same old shit because it always works, no need to change anything in play style and GG.  

17 minutes ago, Cossack said:

Depending, how many mechanics will be implemented, the game and round winning points should be

After 600 hours play, I've strongly sure about LUCK! Nothing tactics or your skill give you 100% guarantees in your victory. From game to game I feels the courage and emotional rise.

On 01.08.2016 at 2:41 AM, hitman said:

If we lost we would be the attackers the next round in that part of the map till we moved on to the next map.

If you knows what happens, game will be predictable.

Edited by BrossParavoss

25 minutes ago, BrossParavoss said:

After 600 hours play, I've strongly sure about LUCK! Nothing tactics or your skill give you 100% guarantees in your victory. From game to game I feels the courage and emotional rise.

Well, the points I stated is the LUCK.

3 hours ago, BrossParavoss said:

If you knows what happens, game will be predictable.

3 hours ago, Cossack said:

This games longevity, same with Project Reality is based on gameplay, not some silly ranks or unlocks. Same map can be played 100 times and every time with different players on the field, it will provide different experience.

Depending, how many mechanics will be implemented, the game and round winning points should be:

1. Squad level efficiency, not individual one

2. Logistics efficiency (Understand in terms - are FOB's being built/re-built, does guys on the frontline have enough supplies to continue combat, does transport can get people in time where its needed)

3. Combined Arms efficiency - Does IFV's, APC's, Armor, CAS provide support, having comms with Infantry effectively etc.

If these point what I mentioned can be effectively outmatched by one individuals skill, then this game will die. Do the same old shit because it always works, no need to change anything in play style and GG.  

Im not for ranks, the ranks are stupid in games. What I think would be cool is a map that interacts with the battles and players, I thought it was fun and different. And they wouldn't need to make the game 100% like MAG, i'd like to see some elements from MAG in squad I think it would help.

Wow it's been a while but I had so much fun with MAG (was a real passionate team S.V.E.R leader back in the day). Shame it didn't get a sequel of any sort. Planetside 2 never really filled the void it left.

If we were to get a global shadow war type game mode in squad it would have to be in through a large scale total conversion mod with a completely redone server browser and menu (kinda like how project reality started). While it's highly impractical I would totally be down for this, maybe I could help out once i'm done with my comp sci degree in a few years haha!

On the more practical side of things, Red Orchestra 2 had a multiplayer campaign server mod where you could fight back and forth for territories on a map. Once we get more maps I could see that becoming a reality. http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=RO2_Multiplayer_Campaign

2 hours ago, mteijiro said:

Wow it's been a while but I had so much fun with MAG (was a real passionate team S.V.E.R leader back in the day). Shame it didn't get a sequel of any sort. Planetside 2 never really filled the void it left.

If we were to get a global shadow war type game mode in squad it would have to be in through a large scale total conversion mod with a completely redone server browser and menu (kinda like how project reality started). While it's highly impractical I would totally be down for this, maybe I could help out once i'm done with my comp sci degree in a few years haha!

On the more practical side of things, Red Orchestra 2 had a multiplayer campaign server mod where you could fight back and forth for territories on a map. Once we get more maps I could see that becoming a reality. http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=RO2_Multiplayer_Campaign

I have play the RO2 maps with that but it doesn't feel the same to me, I like the global aspect I think that's very interesting. And go S.V.E.R!