Squintpython

Discussing admin behaviour

Big D are going to hold the monopoly again during alpha, but as soon as it becomes available there will be alternate servers up that don't have tendencies to  abuse the ban-hammer.

57004696.jpg

Like my servers. :D

What planet do you play PR on? "Well Behaved" isn't a word I would ever use for the PR community in its current state. Also, I'm not too sure how many communities could gather 100 people up to constantly keep a PR server full to avoid the "PUG" servers..

Have you heard/ seen the chat in game? its constant racism, swearing and general trolling/ trash talking other players.

yeah, exactly this.

11 year old 4chan users seem to make up the main playerbase of PR lately.

LOOOOOL!!! best way to describe!

yeah, exactly this.

HAHAHAHA! Omg you are so on point with that comment :P Made my night!

finding a different server to play on in PR isnt so simple. most of the time the only 4 servers i can play on with people from my region/language are either full or empty. and when i say 4 i mean 4. HOG, FCV, PRTA and CIA are the only public US servers ive been able to consistently find that fit my modest criteria, and theyre almost always full during peak play times or hardly populated because the server crashed/reset.

tl;dr I wish there were more PR servers

Pro tip: Click the server > server info on the left > auto deploy > make a sandwich > usually get in. Someone is constantly leaving/joining FCV.

There will be a set of base rules that groups must agree too before they can host a server. At the start, Squad will be hosting all servers, and will give access to pre-selected teams for admining. We also have a team of people that will investigate and monitor the servers for abuse. Our goal is to keep the Squad dynamic the same for each server so that all servers are fun to play on. While I don't feel you should of been banned from the game, you probably should of been warned in mumble first then if they see fit, banned from mumble but not the game server.

There will be a set of base rules that groups must agree too before they can host a server. At the start, Squad will be hosting all servers, and will give access to pre-selected teams for admining. We also have a team of people that will investigate and monitor the servers for abuse. Our goal is to keep the Squad dynamic the same for each server so that all servers are fun to play on. While I don't feel you should of been banned from the game, you probably should of been warned in mumble first then if they see fit, banned from mumble but not the game server.

Love this! I am so glad to hear this!

Eh, things happen, all I can hope is that it was an accident and that it just so happened that the spammer and I were both highlighted by mistake and both temp banned.. But as I have said, that is what happens when all the servers are different and only one server really dishes out any punishments, HOG is the server I prefer to play on because it seems like the last server that has competent admins. (of the group of servers I have played on, no hate, Russian servers :P)

There seems to be the occasional overlap with people talking about not only admin behaviour but also server rules/allowed conduct. The discussion of both is great but where as admin behaviour should in theory be fairly consistent and constant over servers, forcing a universal ruleset across servers is something that makes me rather uncomfortable because it could end up being very harmful to the playerbase. Maybe it is because of a history in Arma where there is a lot of people who seem to think that A3 should be played in a certain way and while I appreciate that Squad is not the sandbox game Arma is limiting the ways it can be played would be stopping people from experimenting with different game experiences. 

In the beginning for testing it makes sense for Squad to run servers themselves so that constants can be kept as such and variables can be controlled for testing but people thinking their way of playing is correct and the only option is something that has bugged me for a long time. The Mechanised squad option for example should not be a massive issue either way on a well adminned server and server owners should have the ability to try out each and see which they feel works best.

I fear I might have lost my point somewhere but I think it might be summarised by this - Please don't let admin's freedom make changes be shackled by the poor admin ability of certain individuals or groups.

There seems to be the occasional overlap with people talking about not only admin behaviour but also server rules/allowed conduct. The discussion of both is great but where as admin behaviour should in theory be fairly consistent and constant over servers, forcing a universal ruleset across servers is something that makes me rather uncomfortable because it could end up being very harmful to the playerbase. Maybe it is because of a history in Arma where there is a lot of people who seem to think that A3 should be played in a certain way and while I appreciate that Squad is not the sandbox game Arma is limiting the ways it can be played would be stopping people from experimenting with different game experiences. 

In the beginning for testing it makes sense for Squad to run servers themselves so that constants can be kept as such and variables can be controlled for testing but people thinking their way of playing is correct and the only option is something that has bugged me for a long time. The Mechanised squad option for example should not be a massive issue either way on a well adminned server and server owners should have the ability to try out each and see which they feel works best.

I fear I might have lost my point somewhere but I think it might be summarised by this - Please don't let admin's freedom make changes be shackled by the poor admin ability of certain individuals or groups.

Hey mate, thanks for reading, but I think you might have missed the point of the threat, my point anyway.

My opinion of this was that we currently have (if we use the US servers as an example) 4-5 servers to choose from, the admins on there have drastically different ways of dealing with players, some of this comes down to stability reasons, if I remember correctly PRTA hands out 1 hour temp bans rather than kicking players due to stability, I believe I read that on their forums. All I was saying is that I think a baseline set of simple steps for all admins to follow and some basic rules for players to follow, very simple rules that make sense for every server to use. For example, spamming chat, its a simple issue to resolve and I see no issue with servers having the same policy for dealing with offenders. A warning then a kick, if the person returns and does it again, a temp ban for a week. (Some might think this is harsh but they were warned, then removed from the environment where they had every chance to either step back from their computer and take a minute to chill, or join another server and they have done neither and decided to take the silly route and re-enter the environment with an already annoyed admin and continue to do what they were punished for doing.)

Obviously servers will be able to make their own rules but I am talking about super basic guidelines, as stated above, similar to PR there will be server "contracts". I wont go into this further as it has in essence been answered for us :) Have a great day!

I can almost guarantee that OP wasn't banned, but kicked for 10 minutes. In majority of the cases OP describes this is what happens: people spam mumble before squad creation timer, when squads are being created some still spam mumble so admins tell them to stop, OP comes back from bathroom break and speaks on local while squads are discussing stuff in their private chat (local can be heard by everyone and is very distracting), admins tell OP to stop, OP feels insulted, gets kicked for not stfu-ing and then cries about it in irrelevant places.

My thoughts exactly

My thoughts exactly

Did you read anything past that post? Seriously, dont bother posting if you aren't going to read past one of the earlier posts... 

Squintpython, on 26 Jun 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

Hey mate, not here to argue, just here to clarify some points is all  :)

First off, I was there for the whole time, didn't go afk and come back to get kicked.

secondly, It was before squads could be created that I was banned, also it was for more than ten minutes as I was trying to reconnect.

thirdly, I was banned for spamming without being told by an admin to stop, I was just talking and trying to formulate a plan as our team had been obliterated the previous round due to bad communication. I tried to get the team to formulate a plan for the beginning of the round and was immediately trolled by idiotic teammates then promptly banned for spamming.

Lastly, as I stated, I'm not here for sympathy, I'm here to bring these kinds of things to light so as to avoid them in Squad, if we have admins doing this in Squad it will poison the community and give players, new or not the wrong impression. I don't know which admin banned me nor do I care to know. I just don't want this kind of thing to carry over to Squad and ruin the player base. So, instead of assuming random things maybe next time try and bring something constructive  :) Have a great night.

Seriously, don't read only page one of a 4 page discussion and post something dumb and unhelpful.. My response was literally underneath the post you linked.. Idiotic..

Hey mate, thanks for reading, but I think you might have missed the point of the threat, my point anyway.

It wasn't directly regarding your point in the OP but rather the direction a couple of posts after were taking.