Sign in to follow this  
Socrates

Why are People Still Trying To Build Things Further?

I've noticed that whenever things are placed to be built, after the thing is built, people still keep shoveling. 

I don't know if it is because they don't know that you can just stop there or they just want to keep digging.

Like, from what I understand, at the current state of this game, once the the thing is built and is functional, you can just stop digging (for example, an ammo crate).

The emplacement shows up before it is completed being built. it will slowly deconstruct/have less health unless it is completely built.... or done shoveling 

21 minutes ago, Exterior said:

The emplacement shows up before it is completed being built. it will slowly deconstruct/have less health unless it is completely built.... or done shoveling 

So you're telling me that a sandbag that I minimally built to full "built" status will slowly start falling apart (de-building itself) to the point where it will only be steaks on the ground if I don't build it completely?

49 minutes ago, Socrates said:

So you're telling me that a sandbag that I minimally built to full "built" status will slowly start falling apart (de-building itself) to the point where it will only be steaks on the ground if I don't build it completely?

The enemy can destroy it faster if not 100% build i think.

1 hour ago, M.I.K.E. said:

The enemy can destroy it faster if not 100% build i think.

Obviously. So it's always nice to finish building things instead of leaving it at 70% because if you'll leave it unfinished enemies can destroy it faster.

I always finish building things and it's kinda funny when newbie smartasses tell me in local:"You don't have to keep digging. It's already functional". Yes it is functional but you have to keep digging if you don't want enemy to destroy your sanbags, barbwire or any other 
construction after 2 digs.

Edited by KulaGGin

Habit from PR could be one of the reasons. Stops the shoveling when the emplacement is complete.

Or rather that there's no feedback telling the player "Hey, this thing is done. You don't have to shovel anymore" other than guessing it's at the final stage of being made. A simple tiny bar that fills up near your magazine count would be perfect for it.

I mean it's like in PR, the emplacement is fully built if u can't digg it anymore. I dont know if it's going down when you stop shoveling before it's done but i know this is the case in PR.

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

Like, from what I understand, at the current state of this game, once the the thing is built and is functional, you can just stop digging (for example, an ammo crate).

ammo creat yes because its not defending anything, sandbags and etc. you need to shovel till the end so it'll have more "hp"

so it will take a bit more time for the enemy to deshovel it.

and you're playing since early stage of the alpha.. you already supposed to know this..

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

A simple tiny bar that fills up near your magazine count would be perfect for it.

Bars?.. Well, then we gonna need some HP bar and ammo count bar. And flag bars as well, so you can see if some flag is neutral or being capped. And squad bar, too. So you can see if your teammates are dead or alive. Crosshair bar would be awesome, too. And I would love to see minimap bar as well. It's so frustrating to open your map every time. Because, why not? More bars - more info to yourself and it's easier to play, right?

But if we did get all of that in Squad then OWI would need to rename the game to Squadofield: One Bar.

Edited by KulaGGin

22 minutes ago, KulaGGin said:

And flag bars as well, so you can see if some flag is neutral or being capped.

We have flag bars.
k32MbMf.jpg

Unless, you're talking about on the map :P

On one of the builds, can't remember which one... the digging animation would stop once the thing was built.  So no animation= it's built.  Don't know why it wasn't put back in!?

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

We have flag bars.
k32MbMf.jpg

Unless, you're talking about on the map :P

I mean flag bars on the screen like in Battlefield during general gameplay:

maxresdefault.jpg

As its been said, the extra shoveling just increases hp. For ammo crates and cover, not a problem to stop when its built up to function. The only things you should be building to the max are the doorway blockers and .50s. .50s because once the gun gets de-shoveled it disappears and theres no getting it back.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

/cut out off-topic personal discussion by @invisible.nin/SINE  

And I write in that way when I see people are proposing to turn Squad into a Battlefield 4 with no barrier to entry and with no skill gap at all, so skillful players won't be able to use some neat tricks against newbie players and average players who don't know how to use that tricks or just don't want to learn. Examples from CS:GO: strafe nerf update(you deaccellerate faster and accellerate slower), tagging update(when you get hit no matter where you almost can't move at all).

I'll give you few more examples in Squad: proposition to nerf strafe speeds, nerf zoom-in strafe speeds, nerf sprint and running speeds, proposition to remove prone-spam, so skillful players just will not be able to use it against other players. And yes, it's hard to actually use that effectively because you have to have properly configured binds. Default "Z" bind aint gonna do it. And when you switch prone from Z to space, now you have to rebind jump to something else and as a result you gonna end up with some monstosity-layout after 100 hours of tests... And then it will work. And when you did all of that, you practially deserved to abuse prone-spam and effectively use mobility of a character in general. People ask to nerf mobility, prone spam etc because they just can't use it's advantages because they play at default layout(like on loading screen).

Another example is some big penalties for getting hit so once someone got hit, he can't shoot back and win a firefight like we used to in all properly designed games with a proper skill gaps: Battlefield 1942/2, CS 1.6, Half-life, Quake, Unreal Tournament and a lot more.

That 2 updates which added penalties for getting hit and decreased mobility in general in CSGO practically destroyed a skill gap between high end and average players.

When OWI will implement penalties for getting hit and decrease mobility in general it will actually reduce a skill gap between players drastically, too.

/cut out personal discussion by @invisible.nin/SINE

I mean how are newbies trying to be smartasses when they advise you that you don't need to dig it anymore. I bet they were being helpful and said it in a polite way because they assumed you were new.

Yea I'm looking forward to when the devs implement those changes when you get hit. Makes for more methodical gameplay. Getting so tired of seeing enemies run away after getting hit.

Alright ladies, the question / purpose of this thread has been addressed and answered:

People continue to build after the last construction state because the game allows them to. However, not everyone is aware that when you keep on building you're basically giving it more "health". You don't continue digging forever, it's because the larger emplacements like Bunker .50's are supposed to be more resilient than some barbed wire or a single stack of sandbags.