AverageIntelligence

FOV (a Proper and Equal Fix)

So here's just an idea how about adding in a FOV calculator or have the slider (as is now) so the idea, Adding in a calculator that asks 2 things from the user in inches or cm (toggle option probably) to where you can guess-timate the FOV that the player SHOULD be playing at. If your screen is lower then 20" and your 12" away from your monitor sitting then your FOV should be around 64. No one in their right mind should be playing the game on 120 most people should be playing in a proper FOV of below 90, but above 65;  however 100  should be the max. If we just let the math make the choice for us there can be no complaining about a advantage of one person over another, and on top of that everyone gets the FOV that it should be. However if people don't want to use this system they can have the option of the 90-120 slider in the game.

And i understand this has been talked about to death, however i believe this should solve the issue for the most part; because as it stands the current FOV settings are more contoured towards people with extremely large monitor set ups and not the average monitor size of 18-26". And look my monitor is 52 inches and the FOV for me is still way too large for me. (I say monitor i really mean TV)

Edited by AverageIntelligence

4 hours ago, AverageIntelligence said:

So here's just an idea how about adding in a FOV calculator or have the slider (as is now) so the idea, Adding in a calculator that asks 2 things from the user in inches or cm (toggle option probably) to where you can guess-timate the FOV that the player SHOULD be playing at. If your screen is lower then 20" and your 12" away from your monitor sitting then your FOV should be around 64.

It doesn't work that way. Your monitor isn't a window to a gaming world. If it was the case, people with 24" monitors would be playing all FPS games at 30° FOV. I've got 27" monitor and the whole monitor takes about 40° of my view.

No one in their right mind should be playing the game on 120 most people should be playing in a proper FOV of below 90, but above 65;

Some people have triple 21:9 monitor setups and they should play this game at FOV of 354° if they want to play it without fish eye effect. And again, it doesn't work the way you say. Your monitor isn't a windows to in-game world. And you can't tell other people how they should be playing the game. If I want to play at FOV of 170° on my 16:9 monitor, I should be able to. Why? Because universality.

If we just let the math make the choice for us there can be no complaining about a advantage of one person over another, and on top of that everyone gets the FOV that it should be.

FOV that it should be? Who will decide what FOV should be? You?

However if people don't want to use this system they can have the option of the 90-120 slider in the game.

Yeah, right. Let people with 4:3 monitors play at 90° FOV with fish-eye effect as well as let people with triple 21:9 monitors setup play at 120° FOV with some unreal zoom because AverageIntelligence says so.

because as it stands the current FOV settings are more contoured towards people with extremely large monitor set ups and not the average monitor size of 18-26".

It isn't. Squad has default 90° FOV which is used in most games(CS:GO, CoD, Battlefield, Insurgensy, Heroes&Generals, Battlefield 2 etc). The thing is that firefight distances in Squad are a lot longer than in any other FPS and yes, people with bigger monitors are in advantage compared to people with smaller monitors but FOV has nothing to do with it. It's about distances and size of the enemy hitboxes on the screen. Load dust2 in Squad and people with 32" monitors will not benefit against people with 23" monitors because dust2 is small...

People should be able to set whatever FOV they want just because all people should have a freedom of choice. Besides, all people who play at FOV above the native FOV of their monitors(16:9 native FOV in Squad was 84° when I calculated it last time in some thread on this forum) are in a disadvantage against people who play at native FOV of their monitors. Why? Because people who play at FOB above native of their monitor are getting fish-eye effect and what they actually do is they unzoom their image, so they're just nerfing their zoom function...

I personally play Squad at 84° FOV because it's native in Squad, you don't get fish-eye effect at 84 FOV, unlike at 90° which has fish-eye effect:

And enemies are bigger compared to default 90.

Edited by KulaGGin

11 hours ago, KulaGGin said:

FOV that it should be? Who will decide what FOV should be? You?

Yeah, right. Let people with 4:3 monitors play at 90° FOV with fish-eye effect as well as let people with triple 21:9 monitors setup play at 120° FOV with some unreal zoom because AverageIntelligence says so.

Sh** i'll take credit for the science, Then again i'm not that smart.

And yes this does work for video games the game world is there and the same size no matter what your FOV is, It's just the Camera's view. The game's size and scope does not matter for field of view that has literally nothing to do with calculating the correct FOV, rather it is done for how an object should be presented on screen.

1 hour ago, Phadthai said:

You can change FOV to below 90? how?

Editing the INI files

Edited by AverageIntelligence
Clarifying what i said

7 hours ago, Phadthai said:

You can change FOV to below 90? how?

I'm guessing by changing .ini files... hoping most of these become locked soon. 

3 hours ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

I'm guessing by changing .ini files... hoping most of these become locked soon. 

meh i don't want that ini files should always be open for users to edit they are just options for the most part.

2 hours ago, AverageIntelligence said:

meh i don't want that ini files should always be open for users to edit they are just options for the most part.

Have open .ini files, and you have what ArmA had early on in its life cycle, people digging in to them, removing grass/foliage, trees, smoke etc.

ini files being open during early stages of development is fine, but once builds are stable and optimized, they should be locked to prevent the above mentioned. 

7 hours ago, Dubs said:

Have open .ini files, and you have what ArmA had early on in its life cycle, people digging in to them, removing grass/foliage, trees, smoke etc.

ini files being open during early stages of development is fine, but once builds are stable and optimized, they should be locked to prevent the above mentioned. 

Exactly, plus changing your FOV in the .INI when the majority of the people are playing at the Dev recommended 90 is not fair imo. The majority of the player base has no idea that you can get a lower FOV by doing this. Hopefully the more important .INI's get locked up asap.