ChanceBrahh

Al Basrah Squad Remake

604 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

I would agree with you but only about the SDK file i uploaded.

Its now beginning to look alot more like it

3zDbXTM.jpg

Mjncf2r.jpg

pJO8WM6.jpg

LOv1RZN.jpg

McryBI0.jpg

JfKjSir.jpg

its fun making a new and improved remake of an old classic map isnt it? I did the same for a BF2PR map.. I loved America's Army Bridge Crossing map... with the snow and night time setting.. one of my fav maps of all time.. just a simple bridge.. so it required more strategy to get across. I kept doing side by side comparisons of every angle till I had it almost perfect... It was enjoyable to see my own progress every morning. 

Keep up the great work. I cant wait till this is completed.

3 hours ago, VertigoStudios said:

its fun making a new and improved remake of an old classic map isnt it? I did the same for a BF2PR map.. I loved America's Army Bridge Crossing map... with the snow and night time setting.. one of my fav maps of all time.. just a simple bridge.. so it required more strategy to get across. I kept doing side by side comparisons of every angle till I had it almost perfect... It was enjoyable to see my own progress every morning. 

Keep up the great work. I cant wait till this is completed.

I love making this map but im trying to make myself not make it a 1:1 its so hard tho when i load up PR and look and be like dam i should do this and that.

For instance i update those recent screenshots above by widening the road so its double lane, looked odd as a single and im having alot of trouble with the spline work with water so im unable to split the river or make it really wide and then create an island in the middle so that will be a big difference.

1 hour ago, Minimalaco said:

Very nice! please, remove grass and bushes, it's not necesary.

I disagree i think it should have some, i could maybe remove alittle but for now im not too worried.

Just finishing up before dinner and decided to play around and add night.

CuzFRwL.jpg

Are you sure this fences is a good Idea?

Because the vehicles are not going to able to cross them...

pJO8WM6.jpg

God I love this one. Very dramatic:

3zDbXTM.jpg

Edited by FishMan

On 08/02/2016 at 10:28 PM, Rudd_Nurseman said:

Don't you think that the static choices in squad aren't really up to the task of recreating a major city area from a developed arabic nation? (at least yet)

your map looks great, but basrah is hardly mud walled? Better to call it something else although you were inspired by the PR al basrah, which is a nice tribute to make.

How about making it the outskirts or suburbs of basrah?

Edited by fatalsushi

really great, needs more desert thou, and the trouble you have is, there aint the right buildings as there was in PR, loads of tall buildings you could get on, all we have in squad, is afghan type one storey stuff, squad needs urban buildings.

7 minutes ago, Daytrader said:

really great, needs more desert thou, and the trouble you have is, there aint the right buildings as there was in PR, loads of tall buildings you could get on, all we have in squad, is afghan type one storey stuff, squad needs urban buildings.

When they become available i will be instantly replacing the currents one.

4 hours ago, FishMan said:

Are you sure this fences is a good Idea?

Because the vehicles are not going to able to cross them...

pJO8WM6.jpg

Double posting but i need opinions again.

Wall or No Wall

(use the image above for the wall reference)

I personally cant decide, i think there should be walls cause it acts as cover and also lane ways for vehicles to get stuck in (and i dont want my poppies getting run over)

BUT

then i think there shouldnt be walls cause there isnt any in the PR version, it also acts as cover and vehicles can drive in getting abit lower covered by the mound rises.

(note i havent populated the edges with vegetation yet hence why it looks plain)

m9z1fiF.jpg

IuIU0Lx.jpg

You can try to make something similar to Arma and make around 50-30% of walls...

I mean most of the walls can be almost completely broken...

Al Basrah is very vehicle oriented map, so the movement for vehicles should be very comfortable in my opinion. With walls map looks prettier, but they should not prevent vehicles do drive around. IRL by the way vehicles can just drive across or destroy small walls like this, but in the game it is very bad if an apc or a tank stuck because of 50 cm wall... and it looks pretty stupid...

Edited by FishMan

Imagine you are habitant there. Would you build those fences ? Probably not. There is no reason for that. But you can make from "logical" site windbreakers (with small trees and bushes). Fences place just where you think "domestic animals" could make hard demage. So some small gardens. 

but simple intuitive work could be fine. Just "live there" :) how would you build stuff around. I mean. Now you build Al Basrah area. But lots of roads are without logic. I think that its not imporant to have 1:1 copy. But City area and more feels about living there (and fight there hihi).

So imagine that yo uare woking in factory. And living in some appartment. Your wife is going at market. your child at school. Well normal life was there before war :)  

If you're looking for some good quality Iraq buildings, Maybe ask Opteryx on the Arma 3 forums if it's okay to use his for Squad. He released the Arma 3 source files for his buildings that he is not working on anymore. I know with the Arma 3 tools you can export the .P3D files to .hbx, you will just have to make new collisions for them. but they are pretty incredible looking buildings. http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Opteryx_album/library/renders?sort=3&page=2

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/176094-opx2middle-eastern-style-structures/

Looking good! Especially digging the oil area, looks a LOT like old basrah. Now we just need someone to model a giant ass mosque, a "construction" building and hotel like the BF2 statics.

5 hours ago, Tomato-Rifle said:

Looking good! Especially digging the oil area, looks a LOT like old basrah. Now we just need someone to model a giant ass mosque, a "construction" building and hotel like the BF2 statics.

I agree!

Thanks for the idea of only showing a percentage of the wall yet making it able to be driven over (hopefully)

1dKzbJr.jpg

z1k9uBz.jpg

fBpKyva.jpg

Nice job, this should work. And as a final touch, you can add a few accents to this (so the fence did not look like a border). Here some fast sketch:

picjpg_8021973_22826197.jpg

Those should be very few. They should break the staightness. And don't forget to make obviously random distances between this peaks, otherwise they will look hand placed.

Edited by FishMan

NO! I am a bitchy miserable troll aka bastard who is allways complaining, ruining the community and I need to be isolated from this forum to save the development of sacred Squad game. People like me is a shame of our society!!!!!1111 

If you know what I mean ;)

This looking good mate, keep up the great work. Once we get more actual city/urban buildings it will look even more like Al Basrah. You can always try recreate the buildings yourself. I'm pretty sure I saw that you can use sketchup if you're not used to 3d modelling programs.

Just now, Rykane said:

I'm pretty sure I saw that you can use sketchup if you're not used to 3d modelling programs.

By the way there is way to import them directly from PR/Battlefield 2 and use as a placeholders.