558 posts in this topic

Just watched the drive through - OMG cannot wait!

Major Kudos B|

Awesome map, would be great to have all the other project reality middle east urban maps as well :)

Really beautiful work. I've never played PR so can't comment on the correctness. My only thought is that it looks too clean. I imagine by the time an American unit were to walk into town, there would have been a lot of preemptive airstrikes, tire fires, burnt out cars and garbage. That would also be a balancing factor. As it stands currently, it looks more like a coup that sprung up overnight.

7 hours ago, grimshadow said:

He doesn't know either, and it's still only 60% finished, so we will see. 

Al Basrah is not 60% finished its more like 95-98%

6 hours ago, mavericknm said:

Really beautiful work. I've never played PR so can't comment on the correctness. My only thought is that it looks too clean. I imagine by the time an American unit were to walk into town, there would have been a lot of preemptive airstrikes, tire fires, burnt out cars and garbage. That would also be a balancing factor. As it stands currently, it looks more like a coup that sprung up overnight.

Ive gone for the overgrown look as if everyone has fled the city, i dont want to have stuff all over the roads and such as thats what fobs are for.

It's got that PR vibe. Very pleased to see it in Squad.

36 minutes ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Al Basrah is not 60% finished its more like 95-98%

Nice! I do wonder though, if the map gets included in the official release, will you take the time to update the map as new assets/factions/gamemodes become available with later iterations of the base game? For example Muttrah City was a great map in 0.4 PR, but by the time 0.6 came out, the assets & game had grown to a point where it no longer made sense. I hope the amazing work you've put into the map can have some further iterations down the line to keep it relevant to updated gameplay :) 

2 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Nice! I do wonder though, if the map gets included in the official release, will you take the time to update the map as new assets/factions/gamemodes become available with later iterations of the base game? For example Muttrah City was a great map in 0.4 PR, but by the time 0.6 came out, the assets & game had grown to a point where it no longer made sense. I hope the amazing work you've put into the map can have some further iterations down the line to keep it relevant to updated gameplay :) 

Id try and keep it updated as much as possible, id love to had like 2-3 different layers of insurgency:

British vs INS

USA vs INS

RUS vs INS (maybe)

and 1-2 AAS layers

If a squad building is released that i could see fitting into the map ill try my best to make room for it.

At the moment the 5 story corner building has a roof top access point which will be remaining closed until choppers and fast ropes to allow for roof top entry allowing blufor to occupy the building much quicker

Just now, ChanceBrahh said:

Id try and keep it updated as much as possible

That's great to hear, thanks for the info. I noticed you mentioned a few times that this is planned to be your last map and whatnot, so I thought you might be kinda "over" modding for squad, which could have hurt the chances of it being updated in the future. 

Spoiler

O my bad, I was just reading through thought you had mentioned that it wasnt quite done yet. But still amazing! Get a job!

Do you have any idea of how performance will be? Will all of those enterable buildings cut down fps?

1 hour ago, fatalsushi said:

Do you have any idea of how performance will be? Will all of those enterable buildings cut down fps?

The map runs in the high 60s for me no matter what area I'm in. For reference, the official squad maps usually run at 20-30 for me in the editor. 

Keep in mind that at release there will be no decor in any of the interiors.

@ChanceBrahh Getting excited to play this map every time you post an update. Watched the latest video a few times now and one thing that struck me was how structurally perfect all the buildings were. You have broken walls to be able to make your way through the back alleys etc but all the buildings show no sign of battle damage, at least, that I have seen. Maybe once we have all had a good chance to play your beautiful map you might consider adding some destruction in key strategic areas when we can see how it plays.

I can't wait for Squad updates and I hope it won't be to many before your 2nd map gets selected by the devs. Top work.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

@ChanceBrahh Getting excited to play this map every time you post an update. Watched the latest video a few times now and one thing that struck me was how structurally perfect all the buildings were. You have broken walls to be able to make your way through the back alleys etc but all the buildings show no sign of battle damage, at least, that I have seen. Maybe once we have all had a good chance to play your beautiful map you might consider adding some destruction in key strategic areas when we can see how it plays.

I can't wait for Squad updates and I hope it won't be to many before your 2nd map gets selected by the devs. Top work.

This has been talked about repeatedly, and it's just a problem of time and effort. We've already put a ton of work into the map and it's buildings, and we would basically have to double that to add a destroyed version for every building (without it looking very silly) I mean I can cut a few chunks out of a mesh and re-UV it, but it will look terrible. Actual good looking destroyed meshes are very difficult to make.

Another concern would be performance, but that (mostly) takes a back seat to time.

Edited by Axton

25 minutes ago, Axton said:

This has been talked about repeatedly, and it's just a problem of time and effort. We've already put a ton of work into the map and it's buildings, and we would basically have to double that to add a destroyed version for every building (without it looking very silly) I mean I can cut a few chunks out of a mesh and re-UV it, but it will look terrible. Actual good looking destroyed meshes are very difficult to make.

Another concern would be performance, but that (mostly) takes a back seat to time.

I am no dev so forgive my ignorance in such matters. A little enlightenment is one of the reasons I backed Squad. I wasn't suggesting all buildings had destruction but maybe just a few that may offer a strategic opportunity.

My belief was buildings were not just duplicated in like DX12 is supposed to do but they are all entities in themselves. Having one building essentially the same as another with one wall with a hole/opening and some rubble doesn't sound to difficult but then I have never tried to map one either. I have tried my hand at 3D and my biggest headache was getting the texture to look good on exposed edges.

12 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I am no dev so forgive my ignorance in such matters. A little enlightenment is one of the reasons I backed Squad. I wasn't suggesting all buildings had destruction but maybe just a few that may offer a strategic opportunity.

My belief was buildings were not just duplicated in like DX12 is supposed to do but they are all entities in themselves. Having one building essentially the same as another with one wall with a hole/opening and some rubble doesn't sound to difficult but then I have never tried to map one either. I have tried my hand at 3D and my biggest headache was getting the texture to look good on exposed edges.

It's not a problem, that's why we answer questions, so people can learn :) 

Currently, each type of building is a single, solid model. To make a single wall have a hole in it, we would need to copy the entire model and change the wall. So for each destruction variation, that's a whole new model.

On 24/02/2017 at 9:08 AM, ChanceBrahh said:

-snip-

After this one i think im done mapping...

Overgrown Basrah!!

That would be a big loss to the community because you're a Top Notch modder,but I understand/respect the hard work,hour's involved.

Just can't wait to play this map. 

Impressive work.

Can you give word on whether this will be in v9 or some other release? It looks amazing, really hope it becomes official.

18 hours ago, Sorta said:

Can you give word on whether this will be in v9 or some other release? It looks amazing, really hope it becomes official.

Not v9, no word other than that.

Wow can't wait for this. Holding thumbs for this to become official.

They should have a competition for best modder's map and whoever wins gets to have it official.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, WarEagle751 said:

They should have a competition for best modder's map and whoever wins gets to have it official.

And how the hell modders suppose to gain experience in doing good gameplay?

"They" should add full mod support, so people can test their maps ingame by them selfs, without any keeping from developers. And by mod support I mean "modders should be absolutely independent"

Thats why its called "modding". Now it's just:

picjpg_4245616_22805293.jpg

Every modder is now understood that his work simply will not need anyone. Developers just ignore everything, not reading forum threads, not showing any interest to things that commynity do, at least on the forum. This is what basically ruining the whole idea.

Edited by FishMan

5 minutes ago, FishMan said:

Every modder is now understood that his work simply will not need anyone. Developers just ignore everything, not reading forum threads, not showing any interest to things that commynity do, at least on the forum. This is what basically ruining the whole idea.

The developers are busy making the actual game, the SDK was released as a way to familiarize ourselves with the way to mod. Modding support was part of the originally promised(?) feature set, so it'll come. The game is still in Alpha, things can change a lot, breaking "mods" from the current version. For example I was working on a personal project allowing ammo-sharing but when I asked about some details I was told that the inventory system was going to be completely rewritten and my work would be in vain. So I stopped. 

Mods are for released games, what you're doing right now is tinkering :) 

This looks so awesome, this is one of my favourite maps in PR, cant wait to play this with all the vehicles.

Any ideas when this map will be availibe to play? in couple of months? this year?