603 posts in this topic

Basrah came out really early in PR's timeline. If you want to keep the same layout I would say add in lots of terrain dips, irrigation canals, and fields to make up for the flatness. ( There always was something to hide behind in the open desert in PR version.

I think we need more open maps for variety and I'd love to see the old basrah feel recreated in Squad :) Btw, have you made the vcp yet? Attacking and defending that was awesome in pr

5 hours ago, Elirah said:

Well, the first picture actually looks like a desert, the second looks like just.. not interesting.

The interesting part about different maps is that you have to approach them differently.

In this case, how are people going to deal with the openness?

If you think that way instead of "its to open people cant deal with it" its much more progressive and entertaining.

People have to adapt to the map, and not the map to the people. Sure there can be flaws, but those shouldnt be the open fields.

Remember Kashan desert?

Pure emptyness, people adapted and started to know how to control areas from overwatch position and how to move along ridges to not be seen.

And on your first picture, i see plenty of ways to get to the silos without being seen at all. Thats enough for a desert map, its not a flat ground.

I completely agree, here's acouple of the main terrain.

08WfSeg.jpg

n9xVlJI.jpg

5 hours ago, flexAUT said:

Would agree with Elirah. I guess you can always add some rocks and/or maybe some barren trees here and there to mix it up a bit and in case it turns out to be too empty for infantry to move up  you could add some additonal slopes, wrecks etc. 

I'm curious how many hours did you already put in this map?

I really would like to place some vehicle wreaks but at the moment im unable to, as for rocks they are coming =]

Time wise maybe around 40 hours (ISH) im just guessing, im still rather new.

14 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Needing help, i am wanting this to be a remake of the PR map Al Basrah but im unsure how to go about doing the emptiness (openness) of the map.

I feel if i add too much vegetation it will not look or feel the same but at the same time i feel too little and people will think "this map is plan!"

Below i have 2 different screenshots one of how i have populated most the map and the second is how i could do it with alot of vegetation.

If we as a community decided on the second, would we want to call the map something different? even those the layout is like 80-90% the same as PR: Al Basrah?

Please voice your opinion, even if you have never played PR

(if you want to see what the PR map looked like it can be seen here and here)

ziCOZlX.jpg

MwMKpoG.jpg

First picture is 1000 times better, less is better, i love the desert look, 2nd picture looks nothing like desert atmosphere, remember, less is more, dont like many trees in any map actually, especially desert maps, more baron the better, they were great in PR.

14 hours ago, Elirah said:

Remember Kashan desert?

Pure emptyness, people adapted and started to know how to control areas from overwatch position and how to move along ridges to not be seen.

And on your first picture, i see plenty of ways to get to the silos without being seen at all. Thats enough for a desert map, its not a flat ground.

Exactly, emptyness on desert maps is what you want to be aiming for.

Cannot stop looking at your hours of beautiful work ...Thank you dear Modder 

This Map not only calls for Veichles...but for main battle tanks full engagement

Regards 

On 7/29/2016 at 10:42 AM, Major Trouble said:

@ChanceBrahh Wanted to buy you a beer but you're so far away this is all I could get.

b6afce3fa3.jpg

Get that filthy bananabender swill outta here

Edited by warpigau

7 minutes ago, koschilein said:

Congrats for getting featured! :)

Thanks, I must be doing something right.

Just hope i dont fuck it up ^_^

Just now, ChanceBrahh said:

Thanks, I must be doing something right.

Just hope i dont fuck it up ^_^

You should make yourself one of your fine cocktails to celebrate... and maybe send me one via mail to Germany! :P

Congrats on the work so far (and the featuring!!) !

Can't wait to try it !! it was awesome to play in PR.. it will be wonderful in Squad ! 

Use Google Earth for some real world example of what is needed in the empty space. Football field, worn paths, animal compounds, disused vehicles, broken walls, rubble, rubbish tip, container yard, pipe yard (refinery) etc etc.

More deserty is my preferance rather than full of vegetation but you still need some type of cover in places even if it's just a depression or pile of something.

Would it be Basrah without bomb trucks though??

Hey @ChanceBrahh,

Keep it up, mate. Stellar work.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:07 AM, ChanceBrahh said:

yeh this i gave up on it, deleted it and wanted to start something with the things i learned while making it. Was going to be too hard to apply changes to it, quicker to start from scratch.

This is all part of the creative process. And, fuck me, it shows that you've put to work what you've learned. Kudos. Keep it up. I look forward to seeing this played with BAF when they're released!

Oh, also, from a PR vet: the open-desert first version is much better ;) 

Amazing. My favourite PR map, spent god knows how many hundreds of hours driving bomb cars into vcp and mining the island bridges. Keep it desert (first pic) and keep up the great work!

Don't you think that the static choices in squad aren't really up to the task of recreating a major city area from a developed arabic nation? (at least yet)

your map looks great, but basrah is hardly mud walled? Better to call it something else although you were inspired by the PR al basrah, which is a nice tribute to make.

I'm liking the terrain morphology, desert but with lots of cover, that was what I was aiming for with Burning sands but BF2's terrain morphed too much to allow me to have slightly deeper dunes of that size.

Edited by Rudd_Nurseman

Tomorrow im going to try and put together abit of a video tour and if i run out of time, i may just upload the file so yous can have alittle run around in the SDK

Please remember tho it's a W.I.P

6 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Here is a dropbox link to my remake of Al Basrah, it is still WIP so things will change, reason i have upload it is i would like people to give me some feedback on changes or things they like / dislike https://www.dropbox.com/s/hde43v9lb0q2u3l/Al_BasBrahh_Test01.umap?dl=0

SDK only.

bunker_entrance_med_closed_4 is just sitting in the middle of the desert randomly, showing nodraw and everything. I'll post more if I find any other glaring issues.

I concur with some of the posters in the thread in saying that the map really does need to be fleshed out. Basra was made early in PR's life and on an engine from like 2001. A remake does not need to slavishly follow limitations on the BF2 version. In reality Basra is far more green and verdant than the BF2 map portrayed it, I think it'd be cool to add lots of irrigation channels, sluices, small tributary rivers and greenery in areas. Obviously the map also needs urban assets that aren't available in Squad yet like large buildings, but that will presumably come in time.

Ive done quite alot of terrain changes today to try and flatten it yet keep the ditches.

As for filling the map with more greenery areas and villages i fill that to remake it i should try and get it as close to the original yet make it abit more graphically pleasing. As for the urban assets i will be changing them when better suited ones come out.

Its all about the openness (empty space) those places you dont want to get pinned down in, tho i will be adding afew ruins around the place

(sorry quick rush post)

Sorry to tell you that but... it reallt doesn't look like the Al-Basrah map from PR.

15 hours ago, Bideux said:

Sorry to tell you that but... it reallt doesn't look like the Al-Basrah map from PR.

I would agree with you but only about the SDK file i uploaded.

Its now beginning to look alot more like it

3zDbXTM.jpg

Mjncf2r.jpg

pJO8WM6.jpg

LOv1RZN.jpg

McryBI0.jpg

JfKjSir.jpg