416 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, GonzoPR said:

I mean, i dont really know anything about anything except that EA are a bunch of c*nts. I'd be risk adverse in this situation too.

I am going to delve into this whole thing. Get my legal hands dirty. 

13 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Re using copies of bf2 buildings for us in an official capacity would get real sticky real quick. (i.e. illegal)

But.. adding this map via map mods will be doable including the buildings and likely making it all reuseable as well.    

If the meshes or any part of these buildings were imported from BF2, this could become problematic. Definitely to be avoided. It hadn't occurred to me that the similarity was a result of these using BF2 assets.

If the models used in this map simply look like the same buildings DICE created for BF2, even a near identical copy, but are original creations, this is completely fine, not an issue.

3 hours ago, grimshadow said:

Look at the buildings and tell me that bf2 has the rights to a building that shape. They are completely different looking minus the shape.

If this was the case than who ever build the first square house in a video game could sue everyone esle that made a house square, even if they changed the type of shingles, and color of the house. Plus at this point I really dont think anyone will give a shit.

Legally that argument would not hold up, which parallels this right here.

Now I would understand if they were ripped from bf2 directly somehow. But this is plain ****ing stupid. Its like suing someone that made ****ing grass that looks like grass someone else made. And it isnt illegal to use likeness of something. Google it, palathera of cases on the subject.  For example look at satire shows that use the likeness of pl they are making fun of, perfectly legal.

The buildings in this thread are clearly exact copies or near-replicas, which would fall foul of most copyright or intellectual property law, to my knowledge. Unless you are a practicing lawyer who deals with intellectual property cases, at best your opinions are moot (and so are mine), at worst they're dangerous if someone takes them as fact and gets into legal trouble. I think the part that I put in bold in the quote makes sense though.

As mentioned above, potentially could be included in a mod, but why would the OWI devs risk hot water over some very low poly, legacy assets?

Edited by Psyrus

Dont worry boys im currently in the process talking to people about creating another set of new buildings with the same length and width so that i can replace my ones without moving millions of objects.

It sucks i know..... it could of been mentioned awhile ago but oh well shit happens...

Well, that's great news. I'm sure the new buildings will look even better.

Edited by fatalsushi

Well from real life we know that you can have exact copy. if you change few pixels everything is fine. This is how you can go in to perfume shop and buy something "famous" but at the end its just cheap deceit. And its not able to attack because each part of this piece of s*hit is changed in little tiny detail. 

Well this is ugly. Iam not supporting. 

So ChanceBrahh its pain but i agree and creating new pack of objects same sizes is kind and nice solution which will safe some possible hm hassle. 

And I beliave that after all that experiences it wil be much more epic than before. "Copy" is nostalgic. But now there is whole new world of opportunity. 

If anyone would like to help with modeling or the texturing on these new ones that would be awesome!

seeing as now we are kinda back to square one with the buildings if we had someone (yes you) do atleast 1 or 2 buildings (we only have a total of 10 and the mosque) we could hopefully have this map completed by mid February or maybe earlier..... 

All depends on the community and help.

Join the Basrah discord.

https://discord.gg/H2YpYff

5 hours ago, grimshadow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Look at the buildings and tell me that bf2 has the rights to a building that shape. They are completely different looking minus the shape.

If this was the case than who ever build the first square house in a video game could sue everyone esle that made a house square, even if they changed the type of shingles, and color of the house. Plus at this point I really dont think anyone will give a shit.

Legally that argument would not hold up, which parallels this right here.

Now I would understand if they were ripped from bf2 directly somehow. But this is plain ****ing stupid. Its like suing someone that made ****ing grass that looks like grass someone else made. And it isnt illegal to use likeness of something. Google it, palathera of cases on the subject.  For example look at satire shows that use the likeness of pl they are making fun of, perfectly legal.

You're right, if we were talking about generic shapes (like a square house). However, most of the BF2 buildings have distinct shapes (i.e., the house of pain), and the buildings used in Chance's Al Basrah are almost 1:1 copies of those models. I fully understand OWI's position in deciding not to include this map officially due to risk of plagiarism lawsuits.

1 hour ago, ChanceBrahh said:

If anyone would like to help with modeling or the texturing on these new ones that would be awesome!

seeing as now we are kinda back to square one with the buildings if we had someone (yes you) do atleast 1 or 2 buildings (we only have a total of 10 and the mosque) we could hopefully have this map completed by mid February or maybe earlier..... 

Join the Basrah discord.

https://discord.gg/H2YpYff

Haha all the building showcased by sircharles are gone. I can't help since i have no experience with 3d assets and no time to learn. But ok new buildings arent bad. Will give map a new feel and allow it to be added in official patch.

1 hour ago, ChanceBrahh said:

If you can grab some reference photos of stuff you would like made, it helps potential helpers gauge if they'll be able to take the task or not :)

The next couple of weeks are kinda busy for me but it's been ages since I modeled something, would be interested in getting stuck into something a little simpler that could help

We need a guy with brain who is able to think and create enterable buildings that would look authentic and most importantly provide good CQB gameplay. None of that 1 pixel window covering whole areas, being able to cover stairs from 2+ directions, not having any cover from grenades or having too much cover. It should never be rock paper scissors (peek 1 angle and hope they're there, if not you're dead from another angle...).

All buildings are going to be enterable but only afew will be above the 2nd story, meaning all the ground floors will be accessible

21 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Re using copies of bf2 buildings for us in an official capacity would get real sticky real quick. (i.e. illegal)

But.. adding this map via map mods will be doable including the buildings and likely making it all reuseable as well.    

That's too bad! I figured, but wasn't to sure. -_-

Edited by WarEagle751

I was worried because of asset recycling, that it would like just a bigger middle eastern village instead of a proper city. I am no longer worried.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:26 PM, SirrCharles said:

Little peakaboow what i have been working on tonight:

JcRTDbl.jpg

Looks like I'm the only one that sees the easter egg.

6 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

ChanceBrahh!

Chance, what are you saying? Thät all content created so far is now obsolete? 

1 hour ago, Devon said:

Chance, what are you saying? Thät all content created so far is now obsolete? 

Building wise, yes.

18 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

xD Well done

20 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

We were waiting for someone to notice :D

Can't you guys just modify the buildings you've got already to remove the resemblance to the BF2 assets?

I mean they're form is based off of Middle Eastern buildings, so surely you can remove the specifics like signage placement, turn some windows into walls and change the textures and you'd be able to counter any legal case against you.