AL Basrah Re - Remake

AKA

AL BasBrahh

----------------------------

Up to page 11 is my first remake of basrah. Please see link above for most recent remake with custom buildings.

I would like to show you all the progress on the Al Basrah remake i am doing or as some call it Al BasBrahh

Those who dont know Al Basrah is a Project Reality map, screenshots of the map can be seen here and here

These screenshots below are recent as of the creation of this post.

( IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE TOPIC PLEASE GO TO THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THE MORE RECENT SCREENSHOTS BETTER RESEMBLING THE PR VERSION )

Leaving these ones here to show the progress.

UPDATED: 22 / 09 / 16

nO35dLP.png

T4TWwKv.png

jH6iYJo.jpg

meOiyef.jpg

h1JZYh5.jpg

IxuwFdJ.jpg

GgcAvQF.jpg

apN2Rsi.jpg

Yoh, it took me a moment to figure out the mini-map is upside-down in relation to Al Basrah in PR :$

Haven't played it in quite a while, looks awesome.

37 minutes ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Holly Molly,absolutely beautiful,great work my man. 

6ec4d15a9f2dcae44cc42c6522887f20.jpg

Braaaaaaaaahhhhhh didn´t you also work on an own map project?

@ChanceBrahh It's modders like you that will keep me & others coming back to play Squad long into the future. Beautiful job so far. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You really ought to consider calling your map Al BasBrah. You should be recognized for your stellar work and I don't think the name is much of a stretch that people can't make the connection.

4 hours ago, koschilein said:

Braaaaaaaaahhhhhh didn´t you also work on an own map project?

yeh this i gave up on it, deleted it and wanted to start something with the things i learned while making it. Was going to be too hard to apply changes to it, quicker to start from scratch.

4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

@ChanceBrahh It's modders like you that will keep me & others coming back to play Squad long into the future. Beautiful job so far. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You really ought to consider calling your map Al BasBrah. You should be recognized for your stellar work and I don't think the name is much of a stretch that people can't make the connection.

Thank you and everyone else for your kind words, as for the name i am really leaning towards calling it Al BasBrahh i want to be able to leave my mark on it without changing the layout of the map too much keeping it faithful to the original.

17 minutes ago, ChanceBrahh said:

... i am really leaning towards calling it Al BasBrahh i want to be able to leave my mark on it without changing the layout of the map too much keeping it faithful to the original.

Nice.

wow just wow man : )....so guys one question when are we expecting modds in squad ..maps , weapons,army outfits , veichles ?

Needing help, i am wanting this to be a remake of the PR map Al Basrah but im unsure how to go about doing the emptiness (openness) of the map.

I feel if i add too much vegetation it will not look or feel the same but at the same time i feel too little and people will think "this map is plan!"

Below i have 2 different screenshots one of how i have populated most the map and the second is how i could do it with alot of vegetation.

If we as a community decided on the second, would we want to call the map something different? even those the layout is like 80-90% the same as PR: Al Basrah?

Please voice your opinion, even if you have never played PR

(if you want to see what the PR map looked like it can be seen here and here)

ziCOZlX.jpg

MwMKpoG.jpg

I think I can´t decide without having played it, my heart say´s go the old school PR style but it really could be a bit empty then... I think we would need some gameplay to decide (at least me)

Well, the first picture actually looks like a desert, the second looks like just.. not interesting.

The interesting part about different maps is that you have to approach them differently.

In this case, how are people going to deal with the openness?

If you think that way instead of "its to open people cant deal with it" its much more progressive and entertaining.

People have to adapt to the map, and not the map to the people. Sure there can be flaws, but those shouldnt be the open fields.

Remember Kashan desert?

Pure emptyness, people adapted and started to know how to control areas from overwatch position and how to move along ridges to not be seen.

And on your first picture, i see plenty of ways to get to the silos without being seen at all. Thats enough for a desert map, its not a flat ground.

Great work so far. Looks really nice!

Would agree with Elirah. I guess you can always add some rocks and/or maybe some barren trees here and there to mix it up a bit and in case it turns out to be too empty for infantry to move up  you could add some additonal slopes, wrecks etc. 

I'm curious how many hours did you already put in this map?

@ChanceBrahh

I personally would say that trying to remake Basrah as closely as possible is not something you should do as PR's Basrah was developed under way different standards and limitations. What you instead could do is to take a look at the actual location the map is based on to get an idea for the aesthetics since I'm certain it is not at all devoid of greenery and plantlife given the city is located right next to the Tigris River. Another thing to consider is that fighting over large stretches of terrain with virtually no cover means scope and vehicle hell for the insurgents so some groves here and there will be much appreciated, regardless of how the actual terrain around Basrah looks like.

1 hour ago, Elirah said:

Well, the first picture actually looks like a desert, the second looks like just.. not interesting.

The interesting part about different maps is that you have to approach them differently.

In this case, how are people going to deal with the openness?

If you think that way instead of "its to open people cant deal with it" its much more progressive and entertaining.

People have to adapt to the map, and not the map to the people. Sure there can be flaws, but those shouldnt be the open fields.

Remember Kashan desert?

Pure emptyness, people adapted and started to know how to control areas from overwatch position and how to move along ridges to not be seen.

And on your first picture, i see plenty of ways to get to the silos without being seen at all. Thats enough for a desert map, its not a flat ground.

I fully agree with this. More flat like this also means longer engagement distances.

I hope @ChanceBrahh will let Squad Ops make use of this beauty :)