fatalsushi

Have claymores been confirmed?

I know they've been talked about by the community from searching the forums but I was wondering if a claymore model has been made or if it's been confirmed for Squad at any point. Getting kills with remote-detonated claymore in PR was awesome and there are already a few prime locations in Squad where they would be useful.

Really? I've never ever seen anyone use the AP rifleman kit in PR during the few years I've played.

I used to place claymores when playing JointOperations,hear them scream,just luvit.

Would definitely would like to see this,if not in the Official Squad,in a mod.

I always found trip/laser Claymores cheesy kills in BF/CoD if you got caught by them but it didn't stop me from using them. You are playing to win in the end and you have to use the tools you're are given in the best possible way after all. I guess you guys though are talking about radio triggers for remote kills and that's much less cheesy as you still have to watch over them and not just place them for an easy kill like trip/laser Claymores. In effect wouldn't they be much like placing a C4 charge although Claymores are directional. They do still take a lot of skill out of the game though which generally I dislike especially if you're on the receiving end.

i would prefer to only have player activated explosives. I dont mind if someone has waited patiently to spring a trap but getting killed by something left randomly is just frustrating. 

Killed by skill is acceptable, the alternative is not.

I would not mind if there were a few vehicle triggered explosives for the low tech factions as this would be closer to reality and make the drivers on obvious routes pay more attention.

Edited by suds
increased clarity, and awsomeness

3 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

Really? I've never ever seen anyone use the AP rifleman kit in PR during the few years I've played.

You're right, it's very rarely used. But I think they might have more application in Squad because of the level design. I can already think of some perfect spots like that long tunnel in fortress on Fool's Road, the staircase at the castle on Sumari, and some of the compounds on Chora.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

I always found trip/laser Claymores cheesy kills in BF/CoD if you got caught by them but it didn't stop me from using them. You are playing to win in the end and you have to use the tools you're are given in the best possible way after all. I guess you guys though are talking about radio triggers for remote kills and that's much less cheesy as you still have to watch over them and not just place them for an easy kill like trip/laser Claymores. In effect wouldn't they be much like placing a C4 charge although Claymores are directional. They do still take a lot of skill out of the game though which generally I dislike especially if you're on the receiving end.

Yep, I was talking about remote-detonated claymores. I think that tripwires and stuff like that may actually be outlawed by some convention the US supposedly adheres too. So insurgents would have remote-detonated IEDs while the US would have remote-detonated claymores. Might add another level of tactics and variety. But who knows what the devs are planning.

1 minute ago, suds said:

Killed by skill is acceptable, the alternative is not.

Not that much skill involved in triggering explosives planted as a trap. No aiming, no twitch movement reaction, just a see and press, maybe a little choice of timing to maximise it's effectiveness. I wouldn't mind a little delay in the explosives trigger so if you say moved on a compound and saw an enemy you at least had a chance to shoot or scoot and not be insta-gibbed. It also makes using the explosives that little more skillful as you try to get your timings right. Still going to be hard to counter a guy camping with his finger on that explosives trigger though.

http://abload.de/img/claymore9hsqx.png

A friendly reminder on how much hell and fury one claymore could bring upon your enemy....

(Cone of Death for simplicity not included, Meters meassured up to map grids, 18-50-100-250 given from the M18A1 Handbook (topleft))

This is nothing for blocking a doorway Battlefield/CoD-like.

Edited by Metapher

I would like some trip-wire claymores, so long as we had to place the wire within some range of the claymore. And I don't think people would randomly place it like in Call of Duty. In CoD you could place it in any corner and expect someone to run over it sometime, in Squad the battlespace is more open but there are probable areas enemies will run through. So, in theory, it would take foresight to place them effectively. Of course, I would want a simple way to disable the wire for friend/enemy if they notice it.

As for the authentic range for claymores, there is probably a range to compromise between gamey and authentic for Squad. Albeit, I can imagine the rage caused by trip-wire claymores if they were implemented: range is too far, range isn't far enough, TKs, griefers, no-skill.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Not that much skill involved in triggering explosives planted as a trap. No aiming, no twitch movement reaction, just a see and press, maybe a little choice of timing to maximise it's effectiveness. I wouldn't mind a little delay in the explosives trigger so if you say moved on a compound and saw an enemy you at least had a chance to shoot or scoot and not be insta-gibbed. It also makes using the explosives that little more skillful as you try to get your timings right. Still going to be hard to counter a guy camping with his finger on that explosives trigger though.

Yes, not much skill in pressing a button BUT claymores would be really difficult to use in a lot of situations because you have to predict exactly where the enemy will come (this is tough because Squad maps are not linear) and then have the patience to wait minutes for them to come (and not get killed in the meantime). So claymores would require different "skills" than shooting does.

1 hour ago, Metapher said:

http://abload.de/img/claymore9hsqx.png

A friendly reminder on how much hell and fury one claymore could bring upon your enemy....

(Cone of Death for simplicity not included, Meters meassured up to map grids, 18-50-100-250 given from the M18A1 Handbook (topleft))

This is nothing for blocking a doorway Battlefield/CoD-like.

Holy crap that's pretty crazy. I would like to see it in game :P

2 minutes ago, fatalsushi said:

Holy crap that's pretty crazy. I would like to see it in game :P

Imagine what Bruno could do with that.....not forgetting Anders of course.

I thought it was only CoD that had mini nukes.

Edited by Major Trouble

Spiked sticks layed in open pit covered with vegetation, and triggered log spiked booby traps, and dummy decoys....all part of gorrilla warfare...and seen in Rambo movies...just like claymores.  So maybe insurgents can get these goodies too?

1 hour ago, TheeBaconman said:

I would like some trip-wire claymores, so long as we had to place the wire within some range of the claymore. And I don't think people would randomly place it like in Call of Duty. In CoD you could place it in any corner and expect someone to run over it sometime, in Squad the battlespace is more open but there are probable areas enemies will run through. So, in theory, it would take foresight to place them effectively. Of course, I would want a simple way to disable the wire for friend/enemy if they notice it.

If we are keeping it semi realistic there isn't a trip wire version of the claymore. They are command detonated meaning a cable (30m in length) is attached from the firing device to the claymore.

I would like to see trip-mine and remote-control IED and as well other explosion that was presented in PR.

I understand that nobody want trip-mine in the game because players will just plant it and will forget about it until enemy die but the main reason why nobody plant trip-mines everywhere is because if they do that, they will end up killing each other and might reveal the position of the cashe .

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse17 said:

If we are keeping it semi realistic there isn't a trip wire version of the claymore. They are command detonated meaning a cable (30m in length) is attached from the firing device to the claymore.

Ah, then I have lied to myself. Then I'll put my vote for this then.

1 hour ago, Dennisz125 said:

I would like to see trip-mine and remote-control IED and as well other explosion that was presented in PR.

I understand that nobody want trip-mine in the game because players will just plant it and will forget about it until enemy die but the main reason why nobody plant trip-mines everywhere is because if they do that, they will end up killing each other and might reveal the position of the cashe .

thats why you ALWAYS mark your and enemy minefields, so nobody runs into them.

aaaaand normaly you dont leave your minefield unattended, to maximize your kills when the enemy drives into them or tries to avoid/destroy them.

mines and traps are a well used tool to control and predict enemy movement.

3 hours ago, Metapher said:

thats why you ALWAYS mark your and enemy minefields, so nobody runs into them.

aaaaand normaly you dont leave your minefield unattended, to maximize your kills when the enemy drives into them or tries to avoid/destroy them.

mines and traps are a well used tool to control and predict enemy movement.

I always mark my mine and trip-wire but allies doesn't open their map when they're drive or entering the cache and sometimes, I got kicked out of the sever for "teamkilling" 

Flip the option switch that turns off friendly damage from mines and explosive trip wires.  Easy. And have them marked on screen with skull and crossbones icon.  Easy. :)

If they're manually detonated there is only one person responsible for a tk. Easy. No need for any marking of the map either.

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

Flip the option switch that turns off friendly damage from mines and explosive trip wires.  Easy. And have them marked on screen with skull and crossbones icon.  Easy. :)

if they started doing this it would ruin the realism of the game and players would spam these mines even more so with tks on it "should" make players more aware as to

the placement of the mines and like Metapher said you should mines to pin down and ambush an enemy or force them into a choke point to max the  effect of the mines.

7 hours ago, Thrillhouse17 said:

This.

If you have victim operated IEDs for the insurgents that'd be entirely reasonable too. We'd just need some way of marking on the map like PR.

+1 for adding a claymore, would be too much fun cutting enemies in half!

jk_1356.jpg

Trollface.png

Edited by FIXXXER